Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Clouds/Textures addons for p3dv4.. Rex, EnvTex, ASPD etc?

I'm a long time user of most of these products with the exception of EnvTex.. i've heard and seen good things from EnvTex..

My preference with p3dv3 was to use Rex Texture Direct for the ground/water and use ASCA + AS16 for the sky/clouds..

Now with p3dv4 at hand and fully installed.. i'm debating which route to take.

Its my understanding that Rex Texture direct should work with a patch any day now (i assume this means install the old installer then patch it?).. and I have installed the beta for aspd and asca.. though i'm not clear on the aspd and asca if i need to purchase anything to keep them installed (IE: do they expire).. i had purchased the AS license awhile back for 16/asca.  (i'm a huge fan of the dynamic cloud feature with ASCA, which i believe is the only product to do this on the fly?)

Given all this.. i thought maybe looking at EnvTex is worth a shot, though if i can achieve similar looks without spending more then i'd rather avoid it for now, as there are other addons on my shopping list :)  Also not sure, but it looks like EnvTex is sortof a patch job to get it running too...  In general i've gone to the all add-on.xml route with folder separation from the main p3d folder.. hoping rex/envtex would adhere to this in some way, not sounding likely.. seems like they are replacing textures directly (unavoidable i guess though since its texture replacements, ala FTXG style).

So in general unsure here.. any experiences so far.. or thoughts on EnvTex vs Rex (at least for the ground textures).. I assume they are all on par and maybe i should just wait for the rex patch (and skyforce 3D as well).  It sounds like the sky textures and maybe the runway textures cant be beat with EnvTex.. so maybe EnvTex + ASCA + AS16 (clouds with AS)..

Thanks in advance

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I'm using ASP4/ASCA with Envtex and the PTA profile and find it fantastic. The most realistic that *I've* seen in a sim. But again, this is a visual preference and each person is different.

The interesting thing about having to wait so long for some add ons is that I find out that I really don't need them. What I already have is doing a great job. There are several that I will probably not update.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I used to use Active Sky in the FSX days and switched to REX for P3D.  With v4, since REX wasn't ready with a weather solution, I also went with Envtex, ASP4/ASCA and PTA and am quite happy with it all.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

17 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

I'm using ASP4/ASCA with Envtex and the PTA profile and find it fantastic. The most realistic that *I've* seen in a sim. But again, this is a visual preference and each person is different.

The interesting thing about having to wait so long for some add ons is that I find out that I really don't need them. What I already have is doing a great job. There are several that I will probably not update.

Vic

Is there a certain PTA profile you are using with that combo.. any that you could share or a link.. i think i may take the plunge on both PTA and Envtex :)

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

1 hour ago, theskyisthelimit said:

Is there a certain PTA profile you are using with that combo.. any that you could share or a link.. i think i may take the plunge on both PTA and Envtex :)

This one is absolutely outstanding during the day, I find it hard to get used to it being so dark at night but I'm still using it. There are a lot more floating around PTA's forums. I can't even image flying without PTA at this point.

https://www.sass-projects.info/thopat/

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I also use the Thopat preset and it really is nice.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

6 hours ago, theskyisthelimit said:

This is the one that I like - 

http://members.casema.nl/gsalden/PTA2-thopat-2_0_2 saldo-Vis 125.rar

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

REX4 Texture Direct just came out today for P3D v4. I didn't remember what a difference it makes until I installed it and loaded my favorite textures from it. Glad it's working for v4 now for sure.

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

I'm using ASP4/ASCA and REX 4 TD for P3D v4 which I installed yesterday. I am happy so far.

Jac

Jac 

PC Specs: 

/MoBo: Asus Rampage V Extreme/CPU: Intel ®  Core i7 5930k @ 3.5 Ghz OC 4.2 Ghz/CPU Cooling: Hydro series H100i / RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz/ SSD: 4x Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512 GB/SSD: 1x Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB M.2 /PSU: Corsair RM  850

/GPU: NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti OC 11 GB (Asus ROG STRIX Gaming) /Monitor:  Asus ROG 348Q Res, 3440x1440 / OC 100 Hz /OS: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit - Version Build 19041 

FlightSim: P3Dv5 HF2 & MSFS 2020 Hardware: Yoko Yoke+ ; Yoke TQ6+ 

BTW: is there any good thread existing where I could find the "ideal" settings for Active Sky in Prepar3d v4? I currently use the predefined settings provided with AS when clicking on "realism mode".

Second question: now REX 4 TD is updated. And Soft Clouds is updated. Any news on the combo product REX 4 TD + Soft Clouds?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks for the PTA links.. ill be checking them out soon.  I wish there was a good comparison video for p3dv4 on EnvTex vs RexTD.. would be a useful thing to see at least for ground texture comparisons.. one where one is shown with the exact same scenery right after each other or split screen.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2017 at 10:18 AM, theskyisthelimit said:

Thanks for the PTA links.. ill be checking them out soon.  I wish there was a good comparison video for p3dv4 on EnvTex vs RexTD.. would be a useful thing to see at least for ground texture comparisons.. one where one is shown with the exact same scenery right after each other or split screen.

I'd like to see a comparison as well if one exists. I already have the TD+SC license, but I am waiting for their update.

On 8/2/2017 at 4:57 AM, AnkH said:

BTW: is there any good thread existing where I could find the "ideal" settings for Active Sky in Prepar3d v4? I currently use the predefined settings provided with AS when clicking on "realism mode".

Second question: now REX 4 TD is updated. And Soft Clouds is updated. Any news on the combo product REX 4 TD + Soft Clouds?

Forum says it will be release 8/10

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I would also like to see comparisons between REX4 TD vs ENVTEX. I'm on the fence on these 2 and not sure which one to purchase.

I use ASCA for my clouds so it's either REX4 or ENVTEX for the ground/sky color/water textures for me, and whichever one provides me with better visuals.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

50 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I would also like to see comparisons between REX4 TD vs ENVTEX. I'm on the fence on these 2 and not sure which one to purchase.

I use ASCA for my clouds so it's either REX4 or ENVTEX for the ground/sky color/water textures for me, and whichever one provides me with better visuals.

https://fselite.net/reviews/toga-projects-envtex-fselite-review/

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I am using Active Sky, Active Sky Cloud Art, EnvTex and PTA. I am very happy with the combo.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg