Sign in to follow this  
jbrett2634

Best scenery ever?

The video in the original post looks good (if quite stuttery at times) but ultimately suffers from the same problem that all photo-real and ortho scenery has. It generally looks great above 1000ft (and excellent from very high altitude) but as you descend below 1000ft it gradually becomes more out of focus and pixelated, particularly below 500ft. No matter what you try to do to it, you're always stuck with the resolution of the original image. For zoom level (ZL) 16, which seems to be the best resolution/file size compromise, the resolution is only 2.4m/pixel and even then the file/tile sizes are HUGE! To quote from another forum: "You can cover the entire USA, including Hawaii and Alaska with ZL16 and ZL19 at major airports with a 4TB drive. You will need a second drive if you want Europe also".

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Its all about 3rd party support at this point. As of right now, it doesn't look good does it?

What exactly do you expect at this point in time, It's pre release and the SDK is not finalized yet, how may FSX native addons were available before the FSX SDK was released ?

What does look promising is that FSX/P3D scenery seems to port over very easily so the 3rd party Devs will only have minimal work to do as they did in the transition from FS9 to FSX and FSX to P3Dv1.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

What exactly do you expect at this point in time, It's pre release and the SDK is not finalized yet, how may FSX native addons were available before the FSX SDK was released ?

What does look promising is that FSX/P3D scenery seems to port over very easily so the 3rd party Devs will only have minimal work to do as they did in the transition from FS9 to FSX and FSX to P3Dv1.

Its easy to port scenery over to fsw because the scenery is still untouched by dovetail. Its basicly fsx with orbx global.. if and when they will start to work on the scenery it will maybe be harder to fit fsx scenery to fsw.

20 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

According to DTG, you cannot use FSX content, but some eager users are trying to prove them wrong on that - for how long, nobody knows.

11 minutes ago, Cyrex1984 said:

Its easy to port scenery over to fsw because the scenery is still untouched by dovetail. Its basicly fsx with orbx global.. if and when they will start to work on the scenery it will maybe be harder to fit fsx scenery to fsw.

Very interesting, instructive and crucial assumptions/questions...!

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I think as soon as it comes out of early access ORBX will have the scenery sorted very soon just like they did with  P3Dv4 64bit and new installers.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, Glynn said:

You are the one on about community support. I see you are very enthusiastic about this FSW but don't be surprised when others have already moved on and don't really share your enthusiasm.

7 hours ago, GHarrall said:

Its all about 3rd party support at this point. As of right now, it doesn't look good does it?

Right now there is not much overt work from TPDs, but it doesn't mean it isn't going to happen, this is simply because FSW is not a finished product yet, so obviously there isn't going to be much in the way of TPD comment on what exactly is occurring, not least because companies don't always like to give their secrets away, for obvious commercial reasons. Moreover, with even the base program's content not yet completely finalised, there is no way DTG can release an SDK covering how to use any functions which will eventually comprise the final platform, when such things are eventually in place. Much of this is probably involving DTG determining what TPDs want with regard to that.

As far as this kind of development task goes, people have said such things as: 'what if FSW doesn't use FSUIPC, or doesn't use this, or that, utility?', but in saying such things, they forget that loads of flight sims: XPlane, Aerofly FS2, Condor, Silent Wings, DCS World, Elite, Fly!, Flight Unlimited etc, just to name a few, didn't use those things either and they seemed to manage okay, since they all had or have equivalent utilities which achieve the same thing with regard to hardware connections and TPD inclusion.

When the details of such utilities for FSW are known in a released SDK, and how to employ such SDK stuff for creating TPD content is fully clear, it will obviously not be a problem. I say obviously because that is indeed very obvious in that everyone knows DTG's bread and butter is selling DLC for base sim platforms, it is what they do and have done successfully for years, so the notion that they would go to all the trouble of developing a base platform flight sim and not have considered making its ease of development of TP content as good and as streamlined as it can be, and something which TPDs will be happy to use, with the ability to utilise modern development tools instead of using workarounds for a twelve year-old base flight sim, is just not conceivable. Of course DTG will have considered this and will have plans in place for such implementation, based on their considerable experience in that field, it is the whole point of them developing the sim in the first place after all. The notion that DTG don't know how to work with TPDs is simply not credible, not least in that it it ignores the rather obvious evidence to the contrary from the literally hundreds of DLC titles which are available for all of their train simulations and indeed Flight Simulator Steam Edition, which they also created, and which has hundreds of DLC titles available for it. In fact, DTG have more experience of doing that kind of thing than pretty much any other flight simulator developer there is at present, so it's not the untried and untested notion many seem to think it is, nor is it going to be the only sales outlet either. You can already buy some DLC for FSW (and not via Steam either), and FSW is not even out of early access yet.

So even at this point, it is known that quite a few big name third party flight sim content developers are indeed going to be on board. To name just a few: It's pretty obvious that A2A are happy to deal with DTG, as evidenced by the fact that Accufeel is part of FSW. Thus it's inconceivable that A2A would not see FSW as another market for their products, because they already do see it in that light, and this is a big deal. When it comes to DLC content for flight sims, A2A have a good claim to not only being a big name developer, but quite possibly the best TPD for flight sim add-ons there is, certainly they are among the most respected of developers. Their Piper PA-24 Commanche add-on for FSX and P3D is literally the best GA aeroplane you can buy at present for P3D and FSX, and A2A have also created a number of complex airliners and military craft too, from the Boeing Stratocruiser to the Spitfire, these too are unmatched by any other developer's products on a similar theme. Even PMDG and Flight Sim Labs combined don't have a catalogue of experience that wide-ranging if you add-up all the products they have ever made as far as developing a number of different aircraft types and utilities is concerned. Similarly, Just Flight have expressed an interest in developing for FSW too, and like A2A, their recently in-house developed GA aeroplanes (Piper PA-28s and Socata Trinidad and Tobago) are extremely good FSX/P3D add-ons which put GA offerings from most other developers to shame, especially for the price. Not only this, it's quite clear that Carenado are in on things too, since like A2A, their products are part of the base sim, as indeed is Orbx scenery. So there's four major ESP-based sim developers who are up for it for a kick off, and of these I mention, that includes the best and most prolific developers for P3D/FSX there are, are as well as the best third party online store for flight sim add-ons there is too. I dunno about you, but I'd say that looks pretty good to me.

Thus TPDs which it is either assumed would not be interested, or which have intimated this may be the case, will most likely have to change their tune if FSW does become a serious contender. And with every passing week, as more becomes known about FSW and each community update which gets released for it impresses more and more with its features and such, it is looking ever more likely that FSW will indeed be a very serious contender.

And so I think it's likely that where TPD involvement is concerned, DTG have got a good grasp on the notion that 'if you build it, they will come', because one developer (FS Flight Control) already has come and developed something for it even before it's out as a finished product and even before there was a published SDK. Name me another flight sim where that happened!

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, GHarrall said:

You are the one on about community support. I see you are very enthusiastic about this FSW but don't be surprised when others have already moved on and don't really share your enthusiasm.

Most part of us won´t leave, don´t worry, we are liking how this sim is developing. ;) 

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Don't know if this is the appropriate place but oh well, live and learn...Did some photo real and added some music... Make sure you select 1080p in the youtube settings...

I could have dropped the resolution down a notch but the area I did around Telluride Colorado was 6Gb alone... 

• Upvote 1

In the video above, I forgot to set the altitude... Was more interested in the shot than the details in the cockpit, sorry. I don't think it is a bug but just me...lol...

And by the way, my rig specs are,

i5 6600k, no OC, geforce 1050ti, no OC and 16Gb ram... Windows 10 Home...

7 hours ago, GHarrall said:

So I have checked the FSX/FSX-SE, X-Plane, P3D, forums and have not seen one single FSW supporter in those forum's arguing with people, putting down the sim's they like, telling them to, come over to the FSW forums and we will heal you, NOT one. So why do those people insist on posting here only how much they hate FSW, or this scenery is not better than 20 years ago, or people will not support FSW in the future. You have no idea, we have no idea, FSW, P3D, X-Plane, all of them could disappear tomorrow. And don't say they couldn't, because we have no idea what their business model is. If Lockheed Martin say's screw the education license people, yeah right they are all legal, even the P3D people say this, or if X-Plane, or FSW, or Aerofly, are in a big battle outside of us, and strike each other down all in one fell swoop, but we choose to support them right now, and in the future. Please let us do so, and let us talk about FSW as a community. Geeez, this will never end. I mean never!

BTW, you moved on from something to something or you would still be using FS98 or whatever you first started using when you got into simulation right! Otherwise you would be stuck in the 1980's and 1990's or 2000's! I really hope people aren't still flying FSW in 2050 :) That would be bad! Unless they call it FSW VR +++ 2050 :)

Or if a solar eclipse would happen soon...my bad, just did!

I just don't get the hate for another sim to succeed? I don't get it!

• Upvote 3

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

9 hours ago, GHarrall said:

I see you are very enthusiastic about this FSW but don't be surprised when others have already moved on and don't really share your enthusiasm.

Considering its a user forum, and he is a user, I would expect him to be enthusiastic. Enjoy whatever you "move back" to. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Wow , glad I didn't blow my $$ and jump into any other sim yet.

Quietly watching FSW

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

11 hours ago, DrumsArt said:

Very interesting, instructive and crucial assumptions/questions...!

Regards,

I'm already into three states...importing Photo Scenery...working very well...but....ssshhh....

5 hours ago, Learjet777 said:

So I have checked the FSX/FSX-SE, X-Plane, P3D, forums and have not seen one single FSW supporter in those forum's arguing with people, putting down the sim's they like, telling them to, come over to the FSW forums and we will heal you, NOT one. So why do those people insist on posting here only how much they hate FSW, or this scenery is not better than 20 years ago, or people will not support FSW in the future. You have no idea, we have no idea, FSW, P3D, X-Plane, all of them could disappear tomorrow. And don't say they couldn't, because we have no idea what their business model is. If Lockheed Martin say's screw the education license people, yeah right they are all legal, even the P3D people say this, or if X-Plane, or FSW, or Aerofly, are in a big battle outside of us, and strike each other down all in one fell swoop, but we choose to support them right now, and in the future. Please let us do so, and let us talk about FSW as a community. Geeez, this will never end. I mean never!

BTW, you moved on from something to something or you would still be using FS98 or whatever you first started using when you got into simulation right! Otherwise you would be stuck in the 1980's and 1990's or 2000's! I really hope people aren't still flying FSW in 2050 :) That would be bad! Unless they call it FSW VR +++ 2050 :)

Or if a solar eclipse would happen soon...my bad, just did!

I just don't get the hate for another sim to succeed? I don't get it!

3 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Considering its a user forum, and he is a user, I would expect him to be enthusiastic. Enjoy whatever you "move back" to. 

There is no hate for FSW. 

The topic started out as "Best Scenery ever". It's clearly not. In fact, it's no better than what's already out there, whatever your platform of choice. Then it moved to "oh but look at the rain and clouds"

Agreed,the rain and clouds are better than what's currently available. 

The original flight sim market has been fragmented, that's before you even consider adding in xplane and aerofly fs2 etc.

You already have developers coming out and saying we will only support sim x or sim y. 

I hope FSW succeeds. How that success will be measured is another matter. 

Of course enthusiasm is fine in a user forum. But when bait topic titles of "best scenery ever" draws conflicting opinions, it shouldn't be surprising or unexpected. 

• Upvote 4