Sign in to follow this  
Wingloader

Envtex Decider

Recommended Posts

Am curious and respect opinions of those in this forum, I've searched but could not find too much on Envtex here, I have REX 4 - Texture Direct with Soft Clouds - Enhanced Edition and have been using for some time in p3d. I hear a lot of good things about Envtex and am unsure if I should take the plunge and purchase. Wondered what the take on it was with those who have used both if I should stay with Rex or move with the crowd so to speak. Any input appreciated. PS I use PTP and here good things with the two combined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've used both, to be honest, both are good in their own right, Envtex is a neat and clean interface. personally, i prefer Envtex I would recommend it.

Share this post


Link to post

I have both, and I honestly did find a major differences, like Chrisgs said it look a bit better. I think you won't disappointed with Envtex.  

Share this post


Link to post

I gave into the hype train and wasted $25 on ENVTEX thinking it was going to be a game changer. It wasn't. I didn't like it. Went back to REX 4 TD with Soft Clouds instead. ENVTEX is overhyped. Definitely not worth it to me. The textures and clouds in REX looks and feels much higher quality. I would save your money and stick to REX.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I use both, REX TD+SC and Envtex. Envtex is used for sky, water and HD grass, REX for the rest of the textures. This combination works nicely for me.

Both are very good products.

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post

that's a tough question to answer because it is purely subjective. Both products are good and are in an area where many users do a lot of "mixing and matching" - taking some from Active Sky, some from Rex, some from Envtex, etc to get the result that THEY like. 

Your only way of determining the answer is to try it yourself - it's your eyes that will be viewing - no one can answer.

I use Envtex along with ASP4 & ASCA for clouds & sky and REX for other textures.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Don't like the clouds of Envtex. Very unreal. You could use Envtex with ASCA though. Nice combination there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, captain420 said:

I gave into the hype train and wasted $25 on ENVTEX thinking it was going to be a game changer. It wasn't. I didn't like it. Went back to REX 4 TD with Soft Clouds instead. ENVTEX is overhyped. Definitely not worth it to me. The textures and clouds in REX looks and feels much higher quality. I would save your money and stick to REX.

+1  Stick with REX4

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it, think I will stay with Rex, for now, guess we are always looking for something better. Mabey the grass ain't always greener, no pun intended, thank you. Still, temptation has raised its head will think some more, thanks :happy:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am also looking at ENVTEX, also because I like their PTAbsolute PTA preset (which imho is the only good PTA preset out there) and because they announced ENVSHADE (which is in fact some sort of PTA preset baked into ENVTEX). What is holding me back though are the clouds... don't like what I've seen from them and this topic makes it clear the clouds aren't the best. And I don't like to use all kinds of different addons just for textures.

I do like it though that (afaik!) the ENVTEX sky textures can be used by ASCA: I don't use ASCA, which I did buy, because I didn't like the skies too much but apparently ENVTEX skies are better so if ASCA can load them dynamically (correct?) that could be nice. But to only buy if for the skies... I am afraid they will look fake and odd like the ASCA skies. And I already had a bad day yesterday after buying PTA.

It's nice to have all these options but I'd prefer ONE addon to have it all.

Share this post


Link to post

Agreed J van E, would be good to have one addon that does it all, now that would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, J van E said:

I am also looking at ENVTEX, also because I like their PTAbsolute PTA preset (which imho is the only good PTA preset out there) and because they announced ENVSHADE (which is in fact some sort of PTA preset baked into ENVTEX). What is holding me back though are the clouds... don't like what I've seen from them and this topic makes it clear the clouds aren't the best. And I don't like to use all kinds of different addons just for textures.

I do like it though that (afaik!) the ENVTEX sky textures can be used by ASCA: I don't use ASCA, which I did buy, because I didn't like the skies too much but apparently ENVTEX skies are better so if ASCA can load them dynamically (correct?) that could be nice. But to only buy if for the skies... I am afraid they will look fake and odd like the ASCA skies. And I already had a bad day yesterday after buying PTA.

It's nice to have all these options but I'd prefer ONE addon to have it all.

My issue with ASCA is the clouds in Dynamic modes. If ASCA could only work with REX Soft clouds in Dynamic Mode, that for me would be perfect.

ENVEX works with ASCA and allows you to use ENVEX Sky textures which are much better than ASCA.

HiFi need to either improve the textures and clouds or allow seamless integration with other addons.

Devs need to work together in order to make our sims even better.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

 

both ActiveSky and ASCA API are well documented and open for integration. Any add-on can take advantage of the dynamic cloud/sky texture handling ASCA offers.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kterz said:

Hi,

 

both ActiveSky and ASCA API are well documented and open for integration. Any add-on can take advantage of the dynamic cloud/sky texture handling ASCA offers.  

Make a video demonstrating how ASCA works with REX TD & Soft clouds in dynamic mode. Thank you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Make a video demonstrating how ASCA works with REX TD & Soft clouds in dynamic mode. Thank you.

He meant to say that any addon can take advantage IF the developer of it decides to use the offered options. Obviously REX won't do that: they want to sell their own weather system. ENVTEX is only textures though and they did decide to use the offered options.

Share this post


Link to post

Not a perfect analogy but having both EVNTEX and REX 4 is a bit like having both the PMDG NGX and the iFly 737NG in your hanger. Its a mater of preference but they are nearly the same. If you have already bought one why buy the other to do the same job, he says, as puts away his hammer from the Home Depot and takes out his hammer from Lowe's. FS is a big world I rather buy one texture package and an Airplane than 2 texture packages. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Avidean said:

Not a perfect analogy but having both EVNTEX and REX 4 is a bit like having both the PMDG NGX and the iFly 737NG in your hanger. Its a mater of preference but they are nearly the same. If you have already bought one why buy the other to do the same job, he says, as puts away his hammer from the Home Depot and takes out his hammer from Lowe's. FS is a big world I rather buy one texture package and an Airplane than 2 texture packages. 

Agreed. But which one to get if you don't have either. :happy: Well, I do have ASCA but I don't like it at all and don't have it installed.

Share this post


Link to post

OK, I don't have EVNTEK and I know it has a few bells and whistles that REX 4 doesn't have. But I am giving The combination of ASN and REX 4 plus soft clouds a massive thumbs up. I might pickup EVNTEK and PTA on sale at some point but my FS dollars would definitely be going into the Q400 upgrade, TFDi 717, PMDG 747 etc. or more airports or scenery first and a PC upgrade and an VIVE. I'll showcase REX clouds with ASN in this video. Granted very corny video but I don't think clouds in FS get any better than this and there is no shadder editing either. Correct me if I am wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RwHjsQzDoY

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this