Jump to content

FlyBaby

The Sky is the Limit

Recommended Posts

With the recent release of SF3D and no announced major updates from HiFi. I don’t think we have anything else coming up in 2018 for weather / cloud advances in P3D.

I currently run ASP4 / ASCA, but I do have Rex TD & SC as well as Rex’s older Essentials.

This is not a debate over which combo is the best; that opinion will differ and we have been there / done that here many times. They “all look pretty good” to me along with their own set of limitations (like performance).

However, if SF3D took 3 years to develop, then I wonder what more can really be done by any 3rd party Dev to “radically” transform P3D’s sky in the near future.

My concern is that “nothing” more can be done with P3D regarding the weather while maintaining good performance (30 fps for me). I think we have hit a plateau with respect to sky enhancements for P3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
15 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

I don’t think we have anything else coming up in 2018 for weather / cloud advances in P3D.

It's January the 3rd so er... isn't that a bit premature...?!?!

3 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

See? If a HiFi beta tester says 'stay tuned' you can let go of your concerns. But even if no one had said anything, you never know what someone may come up with. In short: it's a rather pessimistic post. :happy: I would rather say that with the release of SkyForce the sky enhancement world has been awoken again and greater things are sure to come!

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

 

 

 

Vic

Coming from a Hifi beta tester. That sounds interesting. Been pretty quite around Hifi lately. Maybe they have something up their sleeves...

edit: J was faster... ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

 

 

 

Vic

LOL this reminds me one sentence from a notorious member here at avsim that used the word MAX and all the debate around it, you got to love the flight simming comunity!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

 

 

 

Vic

I will always do that...thanks for the nod.

Share this post


Link to post

HiFiSimTech releases at least 1-2 updates per year with improvements.

So don’t worry...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

 

 

 

Vic

Well well well, what do we have here?:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post

Disclaimer - I have NO advance knowledge of anything that might be coming from HiFi. And if I did, I'd be under an NDA anyway.

However I have never known them to sit on their hands...........

 

Vic

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I switched back to Opus from AS as performance was better in heavy overcast. Still trying out the combination with SF3D...

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

 

 

 

Vic

Competition is a great thing, bring it on. We all want the best we can get.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, DylanM said:

I switched back to Opus from AS as performance was better in heavy overcast. Still trying out the combination with SF3D...

Please let us know how it goes with Opus.

I uninstalled OpusFSI last week in anticipation of SF3D.  Bought SF3D and found the weather engine not quite ready yet with a number of issues that I never had with Opus. 

I am confident that REX will sort them out over time so I will just enjoy the amazing new textures with Opus until it's sorted out....

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, FlightSimDimm said:

I was really hoping that Prepar3d would include this in their next release....

https://simul.co/main/truesky/

After running FSW occasionally, I am not sure I would like LM to include this. Promotion images are nice, of course. However, terrain in FSW looks snow-covered seen through clouds even in Summer, and the clouds are boiling and wafting quickly and unnaterally.

I am not in a position to judge if this is the fault of Simul or Dovetail, but I know I don't like it. Even the default Prepar3d sky and clouds look better overall.

Others may disagree of course.

Kind regards, Michael

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, FlightSimDimm said:

I was really hoping that Prepar3d would include this in their next release....

https://simul.co/main/truesky/

 

This relates to my original point. I don't think that there is much more that a 3rd Party Dev can do to enhance P3D weather.

I think that any major "weather" update will have to come from LM themselves by overhauling the core sim.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

However, if SF3D took 3 years to develop, then I wonder what more can really be done by any 3rd party Dev to “radically” transform P3D’s sky in the near future.

I very much doubt they spent 3 "man years" worth of effort on development, so it's quite likely HiFi could release ASP5 later this year which leapfrogs whatever it is that REX have done.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pmb said:

After running FSW occasionally, I am not sure I would like LM to include this. Promotion images are nice, of course. However, terrain in FSW looks snow-covered seen through clouds even in Summer, and the clouds are boiling and wafting quickly and unnaterally.

I am not in a position to judge if this is the fault of Simul or Dovetail, but I know I don't like it. Even the default Prepar3d sky and clouds look better overall.

Others may disagree of course.

Kind regards, Michael

Same here Michael, I have tried FSW a few times and have enjoyed it.  However, the immersion that TrueSky provides isn't as breathtaking as I had hoped, the core of the sim does look great though.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't remember much pre-release hype about Envtex in fact I think the first time I saw it on Simmarket I said to myself, "who are these guys?" and what a pleasant surprise it turned out to be! I'm not concerned in the least, and now that we have a 64bit platform I think this will be the year of much/many improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

With the recent release of SF3D and no announced major updates from HiFi. I don’t think we have anything else coming up in 2018 for weather / cloud advances in P3D.

I currently run ASP4 / ASCA, but I do have Rex TD & SC as well as Rex’s older Essentials.

This is not a debate over which combo is the best; that opinion will differ and we have been there / done that here many times. They “all look pretty good” to me along with their own set of limitations (like performance).

However, if SF3D took 3 years to develop, then I wonder what more can really be done by any 3rd party Dev to “radically” transform P3D’s sky in the near future.

My concern is that “nothing” more can be done with P3D regarding the weather while maintaining good performance (30 fps for me). I think we have hit a plateau with respect to sky enhancements for P3D.

FlyBaby, I assume you're not familiar with HiFi's business model, which is vastly different than their competitors.  For the last decade, HiFi has released a new weather engine about every 2.5 years.  In the last 8 years alone, we've gotten ASE, AS2012, ASN and AS2016.  These products were not announced until they were within weeks of release; to that point, there were no exaggerated claims or hyperbole advertisement announcing their development.  Instead, we got a black and white list of the software capabilities and an opportunity to test it for 7 days before purchasing.   My Point?  HiFi's silence doesn't equate to much...it's simply how they've operated for the last decade.  While I'm at it, I'd like to thank them for how they operate, which to me is as important as the quality of the products you release.  In short, I doubt HiFi doesn't have something planned for the next year....

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, pmb said:

After running FSW occasionally, I am not sure I would like LM to include this. Promotion images are nice, of course. However, terrain in FSW looks snow-covered seen through clouds even in Summer, and the clouds are boiling and wafting quickly and unnaterally.

I am not in a position to judge if this is the fault of Simul or Dovetail, but I know I don't like it. Even the default Prepar3d sky and clouds look better overall.

Others may disagree of course.

Kind regards, Michael

Spot on, Michael!! I can't believe more people haven't commented on this! Didn't DTG FSW have any other choices? The default FSX clouds are an upgrade compared to "True Sky".

Michael.  

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, vgbaron said:

stay tuned............

 

 

 

Vic

You cheeky b...... 😉

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, B777ER said:

You cheeky b...... 😉

:biggrin:  we all know that most good stuff comes through Avsim first. This is a new year and I fully expect our dev's to start showering us with all sorts of goodies down the pike.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...