Wennerholm

Oculus Rift

Robert, I have the Rift. Also have the controllers, that work, but they won't connect  to  P3D. I thought you might  be using something else. Are you sure I need a third sensor?

Jerry

Touch controllers won't work in P3D, only XP11.

Regarding using jets in VR in XP11, the experience in the Zibo and IXEG is just amazing. The FFA320 still does not support touch, but at least you can use the mouse now.

I consider buying it for my A2A GA and future warbirds, when they eventually release them for P4D. But how would you read charts on your second monitor or tablet when flying airliners? This still holds me off... 

3 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

I consider buying it for my A2A GA and future warbirds, when they eventually release them for P4D. But how would you read charts on your second monitor or tablet when flying airliners? This still holds me off... 

If you are using a Rift, you can natively pin applications such as Navigraph or vPilot to your cockpit. It works great.

• Like 1

On 1-4-2018 at 6:42 AM, jfriz said:

Folks,

I found a Rift on CL, nearby, bought it and its installed. Thanks to everyone here that helped me decide to buy it.  Now, I have to be careful not to drive my car for a few minutes after a flight,.

I  experienced that sensation a few times in the real world also. I was based in Anchorage, had some hard approaches, wind, fog, etc.

On the negative side. I can't wear my glasses. I have heard that the Vive has room for glasses

So far, I have only done circuits at Palm Springs. [Orbx]  in a single engine.  Next flight Kpsp to Ksfo, in the good 37-900.

Best, Jerry Friz

Good to hear you're on board. Hope to hear your experiences being a real world pilot.

It took me a few days to realize that you can ease the comfort level of wearing the rift by widening the band on left and right sides. That makes a huge difference when wearing glasses (like i do). I take it you have already tried that out?

As for your other question (another post) about the need for a 3rd camera I can tell you that i only need the two (not three) when flying in FSX with FlyInside nor in AeroFly, nor in DCS world. However, I do not know if it's a factor in P3D or XP11 but i suspect it is not.

42 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

Good to hear you're on board. Hope to hear your experiences being a real world pilot.

Having spent quite a lot of time in DCS with Oculus, I have to say it is really amazing. It's essentially all of the freedom of being in a real plane, but getting the opportunity to fly planes I'll never get to out in the wild. The only downside is that the clarity can occasionally be an issue for finer elements like text.

In P3D, performance/visuals aren't as stellar, but it's still a nice experience.

I just want to stress to everyone: If you are trying to do VR in P3D without FlyInside, you are doing yourself a great disservice. P3D VR support is nothing compared to what FI is able to do. I dont blame people for disliking VR in P3D if all they tried was the VR setting in P3d, it's terrible. 

14 minutes ago, NoahBryant said:

I just want to stress to everyone: If you are trying to do VR in P3D without FlyInside, you are doing yourself a great disservice. P3D VR support is nothing compared to what FI is able to do. I dont blame people for disliking VR in P3D if all they tried was the VR setting in P3d, it's terrible. 

I've tried both. I don't notice much of a difference, honestly, apart from a seeming limited FOV in FI.

21 minutes ago, NoahBryant said:

I disagree strongly. I own flyinside for p3d v3 and v4. I think since p3d 4.1, native VR is a better experience, and with 4.2 even more so. I have hundreds of hours of GA and jet VR time, and I’ve really enjoyed the last few months with 4.2. I haven’t used flyinside at all since that iteration of p3d came out. Its a worthy program, but far from necessary. 

Having said that, as I mentioned above I increasingly feel that x-plane’s VR has overtaken the p3d options. So even though I’m heavily, heavily invested in p3d, I’ve been flying almost 100% X-plane in recent weeks, I’m sure I’ll still use p3d a bit, but they’ve got a lot of work to do on VR/the engine to catch up.

i fly DCS VR a bit, but miss the ability to fly anywhere in the world. I did discuss ‘PMDG for DCS’ here a few years back, and RSR said he was a fan, but the world was too small. Maybe PMDG should reconsider an NGX/P8 Poseidon for this platform! Maybe Kyle can make this happen.

I was an early adopter of AFS2, but can’t say I’ve spent much time in it since p3d and x-plane upped there VR game.

Edited by OzWhitey

Folks, thanks again for all the good information. 

I am using P3D v2, only,, so can't compare,  with other platforms

Real world, VERY, close to the real thing. Setting in your seat is rock solid, you can look out your window, [left seat[ and see the wing tip. 37-900.

Haven't tried low level in a cub yet.

I set-up  from cold and dark, turn on VR, taxi, take-off, during climb I'll disable VR.  set up the approach, and enable VR for the landing. A big work load for sure,

But like Kyle says, lacking in clarify.   Hope for 4K

There is a free video download, called, "Aviator" from Rift,  A large Russian cargo plane  [ Antonov AN-225]  [  landing over your head from behind will blow your socks off.

Jerry Friz

Edited by jfriz
more info

15 hours ago, NoahBryant said:

Native VR in P3D 4.2 is as good, if not better, than Flyinside. Easy to use, no problems with other add-ons, etc. Native VR in XP11 is even better, considering that you can use touch controls.

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

Native VR in P3D 4.2 is as good, if not better, than Flyinside. Easy to use, no problems with other add-ons, etc. Native VR in XP11 is even better, considering that you can use touch controls.

After playing around with both, I'd say I agree. Native supports Chaseplane cameras and HDR lighting and is a bit clearer and simpler. Flyinside has a bit better performance, zoom and support for importing external windows, although I find it a bit messy and you have resize and mess around to make it work.

I'd say now after playing around a bit longer that native has a slight edge if you have powerful machine.

Yeah I always create a PDF with my flight plan and all my terminal charts so I can bring it into the cockpit and view them. No way to do that without FI. Plus the zoom is important for planes like the CRJ and the Dash 8 where the text is too small to read. I'd like P3d to get to the point where I don't need FI but it's just not even close. 

I'd give anything for a way to take good screenshots though. I really miss that.  

Edited by NoahBryant

2 hours ago, NoahBryant said:

Yeah I always create a PDF with my flight plan and all my terminal charts so I can bring it into the cockpit and view them. No way to do that without FI. Plus the zoom is important for planes like the CRJ and the Dash 8 where the text is too small to read. I'd like P3d to get to the point where I don't need FI but it's just not even close. 

I'd give anything for a way to take good screenshots though. I really miss that.  

Of course it is possible. The Rift software does this natively. 

11 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Of course it is possible. The Rift software does this natively. 

Which one? I mentioned three things?

4 hours ago, NoahBryant said:

Which one? I mentioned three things?

You can pin, resize and move up to three 2D windows in the VR cockpit using the latest Oculus Dash software. This implementation is better than Flyinside's, in my opinion.

As for zooming in, this is also possible in X-Plane.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

You can pin, resize and move up to three 2D windows in the VR cockpit using the latest Oculus Dash software. This implementation is better than Flyinside's, in my opinion.

I did not know this. Fantastic! Thanks for the info.

7 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Excellent thank you, I will look at it.