Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Julian Tangney

Looking to change to P3D

Recommended Posts

Hi all. I have been playing MS FSX for quite a long time now. I have an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 950m. I get around 20-50fps with the PMDG 737 and Rex4 texture direct. everything else is vanilla except a few freeware airports and Simstall. I'm looking to change to P3D before I go crazy with purchasing add-ons (i know purchasing more add-ons will affect my FPS but ill cross that bridge when I get there) but I want to know, will changing to P3D affect my performance, if so how much? Whats the biggest parts that factor in.I'm looking forward to what people have to say thank you.  

Share this post


Link to post

I recently switched from FSX to P3Dv4.2.

I have ORBX Global, Vector, North America LC, Several Add on airports like FlyTampa's new KBOS, and Latin VFR KMIA, Also ActiveSky and UTL. On average in FSX I would be at about 23 FPS, In P3D I average 60 FPS, no stutters, no CTD. In PMDG 777 arriving KBOS, I average 36-41 FPS. At KMIA, about 51 FPS.

Thus, I would definitely conclude the move to P3DV4.2 was the right one for me.

My basic Specs:

1080TI

1 TB SSD Samsung 850

16 GB RAM 3000 mhz

Hope this helps


Robert Marton

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Bob Marton said:

I recently switched from FSX to P3Dv4.2.

I have ORBX Global, Vector, North America LC, Several Add on airports like FlyTampa's new KBOS, and Latin VFR KMIA, Also ActiveSky and UTL. On average in FSX I would be at about 23 FPS, In P3D I average 60 FPS, no stutters, no CTD. In PMDG 777 arriving KBOS, I average 36-41 FPS. At KMIA, about 51 FPS.

Thus, I would definitely conclude the move to P3DV4.2 was the right one for me.

My basic Specs:

1080TI

1 TB SSD Samsung 850

16 GB RAM 3000 mhz

Hope this helps

WOW,

to not include the CPU and speed in a basic PC spec especially in a flight sim forum is baffling to me.🤯

Edited by pracines

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Julian Tangney said:

Hi all. I have been playing MS FSX for quite a long time now. I have an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 950m. I get around 20-50fps with the PMDG 737 and Rex4 texture direct. everything else is vanilla except a few freeware airports and Simstall. I'm looking to change to P3D before I go crazy with purchasing add-ons (i know purchasing more add-ons will affect my FPS but ill cross that bridge when I get there) but I want to know, will changing to P3D affect my performance, if so how much? Whats the biggest parts that factor in.I'm looking forward to what people have to say thank you.  

 my oldest PC just got a new Vcard  ,,, radeon RX580 8gb ram the CPU its only a dual core i3 7300 runing at 4ghz and  8 GB ram 2133 speed  P3D 4.2 runs smooth as silk not maxed out but alot better than FSX SE ....

Edited by rtodepart
  • Like 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rtodepart said:

 my oldest PC just got a new Vcard  ,,, radeon RX580 8gb ram the CPU its only a dual core i3 7300 runing at 4ghz and  8 GB ram 2133 speed  P3D 4.2 runs smooth as silk not maxed out but alot better than FSX SE ....

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Bob Marton said:

I recently switched from FSX to P3Dv4.2.

I have ORBX Global, Vector, North America LC, Several Add on airports like FlyTampa's new KBOS, and Latin VFR KMIA, Also ActiveSky and UTL. On average in FSX I would be at about 23 FPS, In P3D I average 60 FPS, no stutters, no CTD. In PMDG 777 arriving KBOS, I average 36-41 FPS. At KMIA, about 51 FPS.

Thus, I would definitely conclude the move to P3DV4.2 was the right one for me.

My basic Specs:

1080TI

1 TB SSD Samsung 850

16 GB RAM 3000 mhz

Hope this helps

so P3D will run better and smoother than FSX?

Share this post


Link to post

P3D is a better option when compared to FSX. Considering that your not that invested yet, I would also try the free XP11 demo to see if its something for you.


PC1: Intel i9 10900k@5.1Ghz@1.265v | Gainward GeForce RTX 3090 Phantom | MSI Gaming Carbon Z490 | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 2TB NVMe | BeQuiet 1000W Platinum | BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX | BeQuiet Pure Loop 360mm | LG OLED 48CX8LC

PC2: Intel i5 10400F | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC | Asrock B560M-ITX | 32Gb RAM DDR4 3600 | 1Tb NVMe | Lian Li T150 | Noctua NH-D15S | Samsung Ultra-Wide 49" 5K C49RG94SSU

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR
 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, GCBraun said:

P3D is a better option when compared to FSX. Considering that your not that invested yet, I would also try the free XP11 demo to see if its something for you.

Are you  affiliated with XP11 in any way?

Edited by MaDDogz
  • Like 1

Luke Pype

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, GCBraun said:

P3D is a better option when compared to FSX. Considering that your not that invested yet, I would also try the free XP11 demo to see if its something for you.

XP 11 needs a much better PC than FSX or P3D. Look at the recommended specs for it. 


spacer.pngBob Cardone         MSFS 2020     PMDG DC6,  JF Arrow  , Carenado Seminole , Mooney,Simple Traffic  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3    FlyVirtual.net  CLX PC

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, pracines said:

WOW,

to not include the CPU and speed in a basic PC spec especially in a flight sim forum is baffling to me.🤯

I was half asleep when i posted. here is info:

 i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock) Six Core

  • Like 1

Robert Marton

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/29/2018 at 10:53 PM, MaDDogz said:

Are you  affiliated with XP11 in any way?

nope id be willing to give it a try but for me, xpl11 doesn't quite fit what I want to do I love the 777 and 737 and if I get p3d they will basically be the only planes I will fly in xpl11 other than the Zibo 737 (or whatever its called) there isn't much else that interests me. don't get me wrong xpl11 looks amazing but for me, I just think p3ds more my style.

Share this post


Link to post

Be aware that P3DV4 needs a better video card than FSX.. more horsepower and more memory.

I upgraded my GTX 770 to a 1070,  but my 4.2 GHz Haswell CPU was just fine.. :cool:


Bert

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Be aware that P3DV4 needs a better video card than FSX.. more horsepower and more memory.

I upgraded my GTX 770 to a 1070,  but my 4.2 GHz Haswell CPU was just fine.. :cool:

When I had the chance to buy a second-hand 1080 a year ago I jumped at it. But I was running FSX SP2 and when I ran my test scenario the fps were no better with the 8Gb card than with my earlier 3Gb 780. FSX cannot take advantage of better graphics cards whereas P3D v3.x and v4 of course can benefit quite a bit. I got better fps with the same test in P3D even with more scenery objects.

The rest of my 4.5 year-old system remain the same. See my sig.

  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.2 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.2Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    53%
    $13,405.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...