Sign in to follow this  
Olympic260

[12MAY18] First Cockpit Video Preview of the PMDG 747-8

One question I thought of earlier today. I understand having to log into your Navigraph account to access the charts and stuff, but do you have to log in every time you run the simulator, or is it just log in once and be done with it.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

9 hours ago, 30K said:

Chris has confirmed on FB that you'll be able to load your OFP from i.e. Simbrief into the EFB but only in PDF format.

The original question was whether or not one could use your own PDF navigation charts, to which the answer is no. The flight plan import is a different thing.

Loving the preview, this is looking like an amazing add on.

• Like 1

Fantastic news!! I've a question, will these new features be implemented in other models like 737ngx and 777?

Thanks.

Edited by gianmarcoragazzoni

9 hours ago, 30K said:

Chris has confirmed on FB that you'll be able to load your OFP from i.e. Simbrief into the EFB but only in PDF format.

Uhm... That's not what the OP was asking! :blink:

As far as I understand, he was asking whether or not you would be able to use your own PDF documents (with charts) for the EFB. Like, putting a bunch of your own PDF documents inside a folder, and the integrated EFB would display them.
That option, isn't possible, as far as I understand... 

As @squerble quite rightly points out - that's not the same as importing a flightplan.

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Like 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I do not see a difference between them.

What I think is that you'll then have no features of the charts tab in the efb BUT if I can import a flightplan as a pdf why not a chart in pdf format? There is no difference. 

It'll be most likely "just" a display of the file and no fancy stuff like: Import from FMS and sort to your liking but at the end of the day it's completely the same thing.

Edited by 30K

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

43 minutes ago, 30K said:

I do not see a difference between them.

What I think is that you'll then have no features of the charts tab in the efb BUT if I can import a flightplan as a pdf why not a chart in pdf format? There is no difference. 

It'll be most likely "just" a display of the file and no fancy stuff like: Import from FMS and sort to your liking but at the end of the day it's completely the same thing.

I see where you're going ... but I have a feeling, that there's a difference technically. 

Personally, I applaud and fully understand PMDG's position regarding this. To only being able and support the paid subscription option from Navigraph/Aerosoft, it'll be much simpler to know what customers use the function for, in terms of troubleshooting. Either it works with the paid subscription or it doesn't. 

I can imagine a gazillion ways of something going wrong, something's not being displayed correctly etc, when importing your own PDF documents... It will be much simpler, to narrow down the sources of error, by only supporting one way of using it.

This is just my own and personal speculation. I have no clue what decisions lay behind this approach from PMDG... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

would amazing if we could get something like this in the NG3

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

1 hour ago, fakeflyer737 said:

would amazing if we could get something like this in the NG3

They did say they were going to eventually get it implemented into the 747-400 and the 777, so I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for the NG3.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Am I the only one having trouble getting excited about the 8?  I have the 400 and love it but the 8 with its very limited list of real world operators (only Lufthansa, Air China and Korean with orders for Cathay in the pax space and then only cargo for the rest.....none of whom have actually taken a delivery btw) is just not doing it for me.  I am sure its great but where will I fly it?  I tend to like to fly either current or history real world routes and operators and none of these would be of interest really....except maybe UPS once they take delivery.  I just can't see myself purchasing this expansion based on its very limited real world use.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I think if it was a stand alone product (at a stand alone product price) I might have a bit of a hard time getting excited but as an expansion to the 747 (assuming it’s priced similar to the 777-300, 737-600-700 etc) I think it will be a nice add-on.  The 747-8F is in service with several cargo airlines today including UPS.

In terms of the video, I think what I’m most excited for is the in-sim performance calcs...these look to be more detailed like what Topcat?

Dave Reage

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

20 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Am I the only one having trouble getting excited about the 8?  I have the 400 and love it but the 8 with its very limited list of real world operators (only Lufthansa, Air China and Korean with orders for Cathay in the pax space and then only cargo for the rest.....none of whom have actually taken a delivery btw) is just not doing it for me.  I am sure its great but where will I fly it?  I tend to like to fly either current or history real world routes and operators and none of these would be of interest really....except maybe UPS once they take delivery.  I just can't see myself purchasing this expansion based on its very limited real world use.

I get you. At first, I wasn't too sure. But now seeing all these features, and now that UPS has indeed taken delivery of at least one -8, I am more excited. Atlas Air has about five, and are flown all over the planet. I tend to fly ONLY cargo myself...

2 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

I see where you're going ... but I have a feeling, that there's a difference technically.

No there is not. A PDF is a PDF. A content filter would require an analyzing algorithm and so on, which I highly doubt to exist here.

What I think is that there could be a tab like: OFP and here you load a flightplan as PDF. This could then easily exploited as showing own PDFs but as an "OFP" here.

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

35 minutes ago, cgsmithmo said:

now that UPS has indeed taken delivery of at least one -8, 

FYI, UPS currently has 5 747-8 flying. The 6th one will be delivered soon. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

46 minutes ago, MarkW said:

I can understand you, but still, there is a passel of routes to fly. I mean there are about 108 747-800 flying(with about 40 more coming). So, simply flying every single route within LH, CX(freighter) and CV network should keep someone pretty busy. Then, the plane itself is very interesting. I mean it's the last iteration of the Queen of the skies, it is very nice step-up from the -400 with more advanced and modern systems as well as FBW. And, last but not least, it is, IMHO, a beautiful aircraft. Overall, I am very excited and looking forward to its release. In addition, in typical PMDG fashion, the -400 will likely benefit from a substantial update concurrently with the release of the -8i expansion. So it's all the more exciting.

Cheers,

.....and you can always fly it on routes currently operated by the 747-400 (and any other 747 for that matter). Go on, I dare you! :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png