Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

RyanAir is not called a budget airline for nothing

9 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

https://nyti.ms/2AlO4ls

RyanAir passenger goes on a racist rant.

The guy is horrible and obviously mentally ill for sure, and not just for flying Ryanair!

Disgusting behavior.  Mentally ill for sure.

what a vile human being, and he was still allowed to fly, shameful decision by the staff

@Ryanair have failed spectacularly here. Suspect the pressure to turn this aircraft around quickly and get it airborne meant that they have allowed this alleged offender to remain on the aircraft.

Sadly, this comment is probably all too accurate. This guy should have been booted off the aircraft for his disgraceful behaviour.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Sadly, this comment is probably all too accurate. This guy should have been booted off the aircraft for his disgraceful behaviour.

Yes.

This is the exact reason. We wanted lo co prices. We got lo co prices.

Ryanair pilots and CC have been stripped to the bone of everything; too many hours, not enough rest, not enough command, etc.

It's all wrong and getting worse. This is why I back the Ryanair pilots striking action.

The worst thing I ever witnessed on a flight, and the closest I ever came to assault with a deadly weapon (I was taught self defense in high school), was when a man on a widebody flight started cursing at an old woman and insulting her because she was not moving fast enough, she was obviously disabled and hard of hearing.  A number of us passengers gave him the evil eye.  The lazy word not allowed could have just moved to my aisle and exited the wide body but no, he had to show what a mental weakling he was and assault that older woman with his words in public.  Some of us then followed him down the concourse after he exited until he fearfully started looking behind himself and going faster and faster.  Pity we did not give the bum a heart attack or make him wet his pants. 

Also I hated "armrest hogs" who would elbow me in flights, usually people who should have booked two seats or burly men again just acting like arses.  I would enforce my space gradually until they got the message.  Worst was eating with their arms practically in my chest.  Again I just wanted to throttle them when I got off the aircraft but the first thing I learned in self defense was restraint.  Only used it once in my life, and not to maim but warn, when I was already in my 50's, but that was not on an airline, it was on a local drug dealer who has not bothered us since. 

I still hate what I did however, it violated my code and I regret it, restraint is what those of us who have flown aircraft in real life should practice in all things, for instance you do not swear at aircraft that jump ahead of you on approach like happened to a friend and I once, or get upset with ATC because they vector you around like crazy, or upset on the ramp because you have to wait for fuel or another aircraft to taxi.

By the way I did not watch the above video, the comments alone I knew I would have become angry, not a way to start my day.

John

• Like 1

I agree this "gentleman" (who clearly was not such) acted horribly. I was happy to see some folks defending the lovely lady!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Upon hearing him speak, it's apparent that the abusive guy is, not the sharpest tool in the box, shall we say? But that's still no excuse for his behaviour, nor does the notion that Ryaniar sells cheap seats to the 'everyman' offer any sort of mitigation to the notion that one should behave properly toward one's fellow man, or woman, although sadly the fact that they do sell seats to scumbags sometimes does result in this kind of disgraceful exhibition.

As the report notes, airlines such as Ryanair don't make money from having aeroplanes sit on the ground, so there is massive pressure on its personnel to get them airborne even when fracas ensue. I've personally been on a Ryanair flight once when there was an arrest on board as it arrived in Finland (someone had been smoking in the rear lavatory) yet the aeroplane still managed to complete a turnaround in less than 25 minutes, so I know this is the case. 

As the report says, it is true that 'Ryanair’s profits have been falling as the carrier dealt with rising costs and flight cancellations', but this is not the reason for it, it is as a result of its actions. To explain: Many airlines take what is a bit of a gamble/educated guess on their projected costs over a busy period, by doing something referred to as 'fuel hedging', whereby they will take a guess at what the fuel price trend is, and if they think it will rise significantly, they'll buy up large stocks of jet fuel in the winter when flights are less frequent, to lock in that lower price so when their busy summer schedule comes around, their fuel costs will be significantly less. Obviously a freeze in market prices, or even a drop when one makes a decision to buy tons of the stuff can turn out badly, and this is exactly what happened with Ryanair. They bought absolutely loads of fuel at a price which then dropped after they had done so. Incidentally, you can do this in Air Hauler if you like emulating the real world a bit, but..

Any investment, be it property, or stockpiles of fuel or whatever, can be sold short if you got it at a bargain price, or even got rid of if your gamble didn't work out and you want to cut your losses, so long as you've the capital to be able to do so. But even if your gamble doesn't work in the short terms, you can take a long position and ride a price freeze out to eventually make a profit, but only if you have the capital/collateral to make that feasible. But Ryanair are not in this position...

If you hedge right up to the ragged edge of where you can in the hope that your prediction is correct, and then it turns out not to be, you're in trouble and have to start saving cash where you can. This attempt to save money in other areas is what is behind the recent walkouts of cabin crew and ground handling staff at Ryan air are really about, and has certainly where I work at EGCC, seen other handling agents having to step in at very short notice (including my own employer, Aviator, as well as Swissport and Menzies) to service Ryanair flights when their own in house personnel were not there to do it. Of course these companies are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, and when you're talking about the kind of money it costs to do a 25 minute turnaround of a 737-800 (somewhere around a grand per aeroplane if you use an external service agent), this is a further dent in your already slender profit margin. Not only this, it can easily become a slippery slope which is very difficult to claw your way up from.

As far as fuel hedging is concerned, like all investment gambles it can be a risky business as Ryanair are finding out, but when it works out, it does so very well and so it's also a tempting proposition. It was Baron Rothschild who most famously made a fortune doing this kind of thing back in the 1800s during the Napoleonic war, when he bought up property as people were panicking in the run up to, and the aftermath of, the Battle of Waterloo, and he summed it up with the phrase: 'Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own'. Joseph Kennedy (JFK's dad) did pretty the same thing during the Great Depression, increasing his wealth from around 4 million Dollars, to almost 200 million dollars over a ten year period. But as the Great Depression demonstrates, when things go badly for an investment, there literally will be blood in the streets. 

Of course none of this is any excuse for allowing a passenger to be racially abused by someone, but it's worth bearing in mind the pressure the cabin crews are under to 'just get on with it' when suggesting that they don't care about this sort of thing. They probably do care, as most decent humans do, but are possibly not in a position where they are encouraged to do much about it, which is, with the advent of cellphone cameras these days, not an especially smart company policy, but there you go. Personally, I'd have thought 'screw the company policy, I'm not having this kind of behaviour' but not everyone is as willing to stick their neck out, although of course I know that the chances are good that someone would be filming it, and so doing the right thing under those circumstances is not the risk it used to be when you have a digital witness and the weight of social media to back you up.

But, I can see where this one might go; the cabin staff involved in the incident may be sacked or suspended in true scapegoat mode, so Ryanair can release a press statement claiming they've 'dealt with it'. This is often what happens with situations such as these.

We saw a similar PR fence mending situation the other day at EGCC when someone filmed a Swissport rampie throwing bags onto a curtain trailer and they were sliding off it the other side of it because the right hand curtain was not secured. The video hit the social media sites and Swissport had to go into damage limitation mode and fire the guy. Now from what I've been told, there were apparently some mitigating circumstances with the guy (which I won't go into here, not least because I don't know for sure if this is true), however as far as the public were concerned, it was just easier for Swissport to say 'it's been dealt with' when they fired him. As a result of this incident, now when we all work on areoplanes after they've taxied on stand, it's like being on Candid Camera with the amount of smartphones there are up at those passenger windows in the hope of getting something which can go viral. Unfortunately for all those hoping to see our lot lobbing bags carelessly onto trailers, they'd better not hold their breath waiting for that to occur, because we simply don't do it. For one thing, you wouldn't want your own bag treated like that so you don't do it with those of the passengers, but for another, if you don't stack them neatly on the curtain trailer, you can't fit as many on, so you'd need more trailers, and you'd risk them falling off too if they were not stacked properly, possibly on the taxiways on the way to the bag hall, which would be tedious, careless, and of course dangerous too.

So it's not the cameras which keep us honest, it's our own work ethic and the practicality of doing things in the most pragmatic way. But as we're finding out these days, if you stand up and be counted and do things right, there's a good chance a camera will be there to witness you having done the right thing, and not letting that racist fool get away with abusing that woman verbally and threatening to do so physically, would definitely have been the right thing to do.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Wow Tara Reid got kicked off a Delta flight because she wanted a window seat for her little dog but this guy gets to fly 😄

Something wrong with Ryanair 🙄

Matthew Kane

49 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Wow Tara Reid got kicked off a Delta flight because she wanted a window seat for her little dog but this guy gets to fly 😄

Something wrong with Ryanair 🙄

That's probably easy for you to say where all your PMDG 777 flights - with GSX Ground support - go swimmingly well - and your departing passengers thank you profusely for such a wonderful flight - whilst shooting admiring glances at your four gold stripes on your virtual epaulettes.

Many things wrong with Ryanair - and the whole LO CO aviation situation - but pause a moment and think of the poor pilots and CC's who have been rendered powerless to deal with this kind of word not allowed (think what you put down the toilet on a daily basis) on threat of being sacked. 

Simming it ain't - real world it is.

Edited by Guest

How not do to it....

• Like 3

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

3 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

How not do to it....

I'm not watching a video of four guys in a car, wearing those hats, smiling like that at the GoPro.

I don't think its relevant.

3 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

How not do to it...

HAHA those guys from where I am from. I used to see them play at the local tavern in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. Still makes me laugh they got famous for this, good bunch of guys

• Like 1

Matthew Kane