Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

CaptainSim 757 P3D v4

1 hour ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

I found the engine sounds a bit underwhelming. Is there a soundpack for PW engines available ?

There might not be many 757s available for flight sims, but there are certainly plenty of sound sets, and yes, one of them is P3D Pratt and Whitney:

https://secure.simmarket.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=757+sound

Note that they might not specifically be for the CS 757, but it's not that hard to shoehorn things in there where audio is concerned, since all the sim does is look for a suitably named sound file to play for a specific add-on, so renaming them is all it takes to get em working with another add-on.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

I just finished flying 2 test flights, and it skipped right over the hold, and straight to the next waypoint, while losing altitude rapidly. i checked the hold was activated, and shown on the NAV display. Can someone try flying a hold next time they fly and report the results ? If it is happening for others, then it is definately a bug.

Also, I found the engine sounds a bit underwhelming. Is there a soundpack for PW engines available ?

OK, I took it up for another spin and put in one departure hold after the SID followed by the STAR with a crossing restriction and on to an arrival hold with a speed and height restriction. (EGCC ATSIM departure 05L, hold WAL , IOM, MIRSI STAR with FL170 restriction at MALUD- MIRSI hold 230kts/FL60 5 mile legs)

On the departure hold I initially thought it was doing well as it entered the hold , I deliberately tried to confuse it by letting it enter at an unrealistic speed just over 300kts. It seems I didn't need to try so hard to confuse it, I was in LNAV/VNAV path`, on entering the hold the A/T reduced thrust to idle and the speed was approaching the yellow band before I intervened .Once I reduced to a more reasonable en route hold speed of 270kts at FL200 the aircraft flew hold shaped patterns but was no where near the magenta hold on the ND. To be fair the FMC had drawn an unrealistically narrow hold so I wasn't surprised, I gave it a few orbits to try  and sort itself out but it never did.

The exit hold function seemed to work ok and continued en route picking up the initial point on the STAR, with it's crossing restriction of FL170 approximately 80NM downstream. VNAV however was giving me a TOD point 2350NM away ! , so slightly out !. I left it in VNAV until the last minute ,but it never recognised it's mistake, and so intervened using FLCH. On entering the arrival hold (MIRSI) at 230kts descending in  FLCH the aircraft turned over the holding waypoint , I thought it was taking up the hold but no, it was actually turning for the next downstream waypoint and missed the hold completely.  From there I called it a day and self positioned for the ILS 05L at Manchester.

I've no real world time in the 757 but I've lots of 747-400 time which use the same Honeywell FMC with a few small differences , so I'm fairly confident it wasn't user error.

I'd still maintain that for the $25 I just paid for it the 757 is a good thing to play around with, and it's definitely  got great potential , but it's FMC and APFDS are not into the realms of serious simulation just yet. I still like it though the 757 to me is a beautiful looking aircraft and I love it's 1980's flightdeck.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Holds are of no interest to me. I just get on the radio and tell everyone to clear a path!!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is anyone else experiencing this, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

in my preflight after the engine start, when I select CLB on the Thrust Mode Select Panel it clears the CDU. Is this normal.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Any chance to implement the now “free for all developers” windshield effects from A2A? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chock said:

There might not be many 757s available for flight sims, but there are certainly plenty of sound sets, and yes, one of them is P3D Pratt and Whitney:

https://secure.simmarket.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=757+sound

Note that they might not specifically be for the CS 757, but it's not that hard to shoehorn things in there where audio is concerned, since all the sim does is look for a suitably named sound file to play for a specific add-on, so renaming them is all it takes to get em working with another add-on.

Thanks, I wasnt sure about cross compatibility with old soundpacks.

8 hours ago, jon b said:

OK, I took it up for another spin and put in one departure hold after the SID followed by the STAR with a crossing restriction and on to an arrival hold with a speed and height restriction. (EGCC ATSIM departure 05L, hold WAL , IOM, MIRSI STAR with FL170 restriction at MALUD- MIRSI hold 230kts/FL60 5 mile legs)

On the departure hold I initially thought it was doing well as it entered the hold , I deliberately tried to confuse it by letting it enter at an unrealistic speed just over 300kts. It seems I didn't need to try so hard to confuse it, I was in LNAV/VNAV path`, on entering the hold the A/T reduced thrust to idle and the speed was approaching the yellow band before I intervened .Once I reduced to a more reasonable en route hold speed of 270kts at FL200 the aircraft flew hold shaped patterns but was no where near the magenta hold on the ND. To be fair the FMC had drawn an unrealistically narrow hold so I wasn't surprised, I gave it a few orbits to try  and sort itself out but it never did.

The exit hold function seemed to work ok and continued en route picking up the initial point on the STAR, with it's crossing restriction of FL170 approximately 80NM downstream. VNAV however was giving me a TOD point 2350NM away ! , so slightly out !. I left it in VNAV until the last minute ,but it never recognised it's mistake, and so intervened using FLCH. On entering the arrival hold (MIRSI) at 230kts descending in  FLCH the aircraft turned over the holding waypoint , I thought it was taking up the hold but no, it was actually turning for the next downstream waypoint and missed the hold completely.  From there I called it a day and self positioned for the ILS 05L at Manchester.

I've no real world time in the 757 but I've lots of 747-400 time which use the same Honeywell FMC with a few small differences , so I'm fairly confident it wasn't user error.

I'd still maintain that for the $25 I just paid for it the 757 is a good thing to play around with, and it's definitely  got great potential , but it's FMC and APFDS are not into the realms of serious simulation just yet. I still like it though the 757 to me is a beautiful looking aircraft and I love it's 1980's flightdeck.

Thanks for trying it out. This seems to be match with what I'm seeing. After TOD, it doesnt fly the holds at all, just skips to the next waypoint. I will have to try out holds during climb and cruise. Even with that, I do agree it's good value for $25. 

How does this plane compare with QW787 in terms of lacking realism and bugs?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

The sound set included with the package is from TSS, so they should be good right off the bat. Having said that, some people don't like the (excellent) sounds included with the PMDG 737 NGX, so it takes all sorts..... :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I made two flights yesterday. I have flown the LevelD-767 for some 1000 hours so it was not difficult for me to get this bird in the air. However, one problem: I could not change the speed in the IAS/MACH window of the MCP. It seems it is stuck? Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Edited by kiek

9 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

How does this plane compare with QW787 in terms of lacking realism and bugs?

You know, that's probably a fair comparison.  For everyday OPS, both airplanes are fine.  But, if you try for more advanced OPS, that's where you'll notice bugs &/or not simulated.  Kinda like AS vs. FSL w/ the 'buses.

4 hours ago, kiek said:

I made two flights yesterday. I have flown the LevelD-767 for some 1000 hours so it was not difficult for me to get this bird in the air. However, one problem: I could not change the speed in the IAS/MACH window of the MCP. It seems it is stuck? Am I missing something? Any ideas?

I have not see that issue.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

This is the only addon I have than runs at barely 30 fps where the flight model doesn't break down when flying manually. I really don't need all those animations and I've reduced the sizes of all the gauges by half (and they don't look much different) and that is why I can run this aircraft on a six year old modest system (i7 2700 with GTX 1050ti). Any other aircraft that runs this low (Aerosott Airbus for example) is unusable because of the extreme stutters and spikes but for some reason this aircraft is quite steady albeit disappointing frame rates.

I've tweaked the flight model a bit and it now flies very pleasurably. I'm quite impressed by the depth of the systems. I cannot understand why this developer insists on multiple 16 megabyte bump maps and huge numbers of 4096 textures (if you reduce them by half you will not see any difference unless you zoom to three feet away from a surface). I think it is a decent sim of a fantastic and much missed aircraft, easliy the most beautiful Boeing ever built.

Hoping Quality Wings finishes its 757 too.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

3 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

You know, that's probably a fair comparison.  For everyday OPS, both airplanes are fine.  But, if you try for more advanced OPS, that's where you'll notice bugs &/or not simulated.  Kinda like AS vs. FSL w/ the 'buses.

Good to know. I bought the 787 and flew it for quite a while, but now its hangared for good until they release some good fixes for it. What probably bothers me the most is the erratic behaviour of LNAV and VNAV, and I also don't like the cockpit lighting not to be realistically implemented, using each own knob for adjusting the level of the lights/brightness. But even worst to me is the inability of saving the "panel state" correctly at the end of every flight, which makes it necessary to adjust every and each setting again and again.

Knowing that the 757 is about the same level of simulation makes me think it's not yet time to buy it, but if/when an update is released a new evaluation is to be made.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

1 hour ago, robert young said:

I've tweaked the flight model a bit and it now flies very pleasurably. I'm quite impressed by the depth of the systems. I cannot understand why this developer insists on multiple 16 megabyte bump maps and huge numbers of 4096 textures (if you reduce them by half you will not see any difference unless you zoom to three feet away from a surface). I think it is a decent sim of a fantastic and much missed aircraft, easliy the most beautiful Boeing ever built.

If and when you upgrade your CPU, you can probably enjoy it more.  This is my fps using the FSUIPC log utility:

Minimum frame rate was 28.2 fps, Maximum was 68.9 fps
Average frame rate for running time of 2733 secs = 41.4 fps
Maximum AI traffic for session was 299 aircraft

I have most of my P3D settings set to high or max.  HDR on.  This was a flight from FSDT KLAX to FlightBeam KSFO over MSE SoCal/NoCal and using UTLive and ASP4.    My specs are in my signature. 

Over the years I have seen many members having major issues with their flight simulator and, where I get over 40 fps, they could only get 10 to 15.  On further explanation, it was found the member had 5 or 6 monitors.  Things like that.

As I have stated elsewhere in the past, I believe many developers take advantage of the latest technology to give their products more eye-candy now that those who use 64 bit technology as in P3DV4 do not have to worry about out of memory errors and can push their sliders much higher.  The more eye-candy, the more sales.  I bought the CS757 on the day of release and very happy with my purchase even though I paid almost $70 for it and almost $20 for the one addon expansion.  I had some issues with it early on but those were ironed out by the developers and they continue to improve on the product and seem to be listening to their customers.  I am positive they would like to have a perfect aircraft but there are many computer systems and setups and it is near to impossible to please everyone (which would be a perfect aircraft).  It was not too long ago when my fps with this aircraft and MSE and Active Sky would have brought my simulator to its knees and it would no longer be enjoyable to play.  Now, with the ability to have crystal clear photo scenery, great weather, a great flight sim, and a very nicely rendered aircraft, I can thoroughly enjoy and explore everything I have always wanted to do in flight simulation.  IMHO, flight simulation has finally arrived at the level many of us had hoped to see one day. 

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, robert young said:

I've tweaked the flight model a bit and it now flies very pleasurably.

intriguing, what is this tweak you speak of?  if there are parms in aircraft.cfg or entries in the .air file, like to know...

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS