macpilot

Help Needed for Cat 1 Approach

Can anyone direct me to a flight sim video showing flying a Cat 1 approach with a Boeing aircraft?

Thank You.

Bill McCracken

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's one with a 737 Simulator -

Are you thinking of a CAT III instead?  Cat1 is basically a regular precision approach with 200 ft minimums

Jim and Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. Ryan yes I did mean Cat 1. I am having trouble landing the 747-8 on rwy 15 into LIRA. I capture the LOC but as it's a CAT 1 no GS. I thought if I saw a video on it being performed by another Flight Simulator pilot I might pick  up something that would help me to master the landing.

Bill McCracken.

Stupid question, but can you land the 747-8 by hand? Without any help of the autopilot, not even autothrottle? If not, maybe you should start with this?

Chris,

Not a stupid question. You make a good point. No I have never tried landing without autopilot. I'll try it.

Thanks for the obvious.

Bill McCracken

Somehow you remind me of a real world discussion started after AF447: the risk of nowadays pilots being more a computer system supervisor than really a pilot that can actually FLY a plane ;-)

Don't take it personal, but maybe yes, then it is best to first start with the basics again, do some traffic pattern with the 747-8 to get a handle of flying this plane manually. Try some extreme flying situations like stall, heavy take-offs, extremely banked turns etc. Then start the landing training. Nice weather landings, bad weather landings with a lot of crosswind, tailwind, headwind etc. As soon as you are a good manual flying pilot of your 747-8, I am pretty sure that a CAT 1 approach and landing will be an easy challenge ;-)

32 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Stupid question, but can you land the 747-8 by hand? Without any help of the autopilot, not even autothrottle? If not, maybe you should start with this?

Yes you can. Have already done on the 3 flights I have done with the newly-bought 747-8i.

First thing I do is hand fly a new aircraft to get the feel of it and how it responds to the controls, then practise landing till I can do it without blowing the tyres, this is what`s good about flight sim just reset and try again unlike the real world.

1 hour ago, macpilot said:

Thanks for your reply. Ryan yes I did mean Cat 1. I am having trouble landing the 747-8 on rwy 15 into LIRA. I capture the LOC but as it's a CAT 1 no GS.

CAT I doesn not mean no GS.  If there is no GS then it is a LOC approach, not an ILS.  You fly the descent path as provided on the chart...... you do have the chart, right?

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

Yes you can. Have already done on the 3 flights I have done with the newly-bought 747-8i.

I guess, you did not get the question right 😉

Can you shoot the approach in a small a/c like a 172? I'm not sure if your problem is hand flying a 747 or that you do not understand the approach. As Dan said - get and study the chart. There should be enough info for you to hand fly it in a small a/c and then when you understand the procedure, switch to your 747.

Vic

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Stupid question, but can you land the 747-8 by hand? Without any help of the autopilot, not even autothrottle?

You posted this question.............................

58 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I guess, you did not get the question right

........................so which part of the question I did not get right🙄

3 hours ago, vc10man said:

You posted this question.............................

........................so which part of the question I did not get right🙄

To me he was asking the question of the OP, whether HE specifically could land the 747 by hand.

To me, your answer was generic in response to "is it possible to land the 747 by hand"

That's how I saw it.

I'd like to know if the OP knows how to hand fly that specific approach in anything?

Vic

8 hours ago, vgbaron said:

To me he was asking the question of the OP, whether HE specifically could land the 747 by hand.

To me, your answer was generic in response to "is it possible to land the 747 by hand"

That's how I saw it.

I'd like to know if the OP knows how to hand fly that specific approach in anything?

Vic

Aha, that clarifies things. The way I was read it, I just assumed it was that poster and not the OP..

Maybe the addition "stupid question" was irritating, of course I was asking the OP if he is able to land the plane. That it is generally possible to land the 747-8 was clear to me ;-)

On 1/20/2019 at 3:09 PM, macpilot said:

Can anyone direct me to a flight sim video showing flying a Cat 1 approach with a Boeing aircraft?

Thank You.

Bill McCracken

Many airliners do not land on autopilot for the majority of their landings.  They are usually hand flown after disconnecting the autopilot.  So I would do what some have suggested and try to fly a traffic pattern without help of autopilot

Also a Cat I II III approach is referring to the minimums (the lowest altitude the pilots can descend to on the approach).  As another user said above, an ils without a glide slope is called a localizer.  This provides lateral (left and right) guidance but no vertical (such as a glide slope or glide path the avionics would usually display).  For a LOC you'll have to find an approach chart and after the final approach fix you would descend to your MDA (which is usually 400 ft AGL Above Ground Level)

This would typically be done by hand but could be done on autopilot

Edited by ryanbatcund

Also after reaching 400 ft AGL and assuming you have the airport environment or runway in sight (that's the general way to explain it) you would descend to the runway and land without aid of autopilot

Ryan -- most ILS approaches in the US have a minimum of 200 feet AGL not 400 feet.

2 hours ago, pgde said:

Ryan -- most ILS approaches in the US have a minimum of 200 feet AGL not 400 feet.

He is referring to the generalized LOC mins.  Regardless, always use the chart.

• Upvote 1

All I can say is thanks to everyone who has posted. You have all provided me with additional info that will be very helpful.

Bill McCracken