Sign in to follow this  
sem

Uninstalling all of ORBX

So i deleted my prepar3d v4.2 to migrate over to v4.4, but i forgot to uninstall my orbx products beforehand, do i have to unsinstall them in FTX central or do i have to uninstall FTX Central itself?

No need to uninstall.  v4.4 will see everything 4.2 saw.  It does not mess with your scenery.cfg but might if you install the scenery portion of 4.4.  It didn.t mess with mine but then I have all of my scenery converted to .xml and only the default scenery is in the scenery.cfg.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

12 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

No need to uninstall.  v4.4 will see everything 4.2 saw.  It does not mess with your scenery.cfg but might if you install the scenery portion of 4.4.  It didn.t mess with mine but then I have all of my scenery converted to .xml and only the default scenery is in the scenery.cfg.

Ok, thanks

I just completed a full uninstall of P3Dv4.3. It went smoothly as described on the Lockheed forum.

Just do a complete uninstall of P3Dv4.3 after you uninstall ORBX add-ons through FTX Central 3. Uninstall all your add-ons as well including the associated directories. Leave FTX Central 3 alone. It only took a few hours for me and I am glad I did. Now I have a clean install.

Then, try vanilla P3Dv4.4 without installing ORBX add-ons. Max out all the detail sliders. You may choose to only install favorite add-on aircraft at this point when you realize what you have been missing in terms of silky smooth FM locked at 60FPS.

You may reconsider installing ORBX once you find how silky smooth P3D is without ORBX. The flight models are incredible devoid of all the induced micro-stutters and random pauses associated with ORBX. No amount of tweaking will eliminate the ORBX blues. As much as I like ORBX I won`t be reinstalling them now. No buyers remorse, but say what you will, the proof is in the pudding. The source of most issues with P3D is ORBX concerning low frame rates, micro stutters etc. Strangely I don`t miss ORBX anymore.

The smooth flight model is irresistible without ORBX. Especially at full detail (all sliders to the right) and 4K resolution.

i7 8700K, 32MB 3200Mhz Ram, Samsung SSD, GTX1080ti.

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

I just completed a full uninstall of P3Dv4.3. It went smoothly as described on the Lockheed forum.

Just do a complete uninstall of P3Dv4.3 after you uninstall ORBX add-ons through FTX Central 3. Uninstall all your add-ons as well including the associated directories. Leave FTX Central 3 alone. It only took a few hours for me and I am glad I did. Now I have a clean install.

Then, try vanilla P3Dv4.4 without installing ORBX add-ons. Max out all the detail sliders. You may choose to only install favorite add-on aircraft at this point when you realize what you have been missing in terms of silky smooth FM locked at 60FPS.

You may reconsider installing ORBX once you find how silky smooth P3D is without ORBX. The flight models are incredible devoid of all the induced micro-stutters and random pauses associated with ORBX. No amount of tweaking will eliminate the ORBX blues. As much as I like ORBX I won`t be reinstalling them now. No buyers remorse, but say what you will, the proof is in the pudding. The source of most issues with P3D is ORBX concerning low frame rates, micro stutters etc. Strangely I don`t miss ORBX anymore.

The smooth flight model is irresistible without ORBX. Especially at full detail (all sliders to the right) and 4K resolution.

i7 8700K, 32MB 3200Mhz Ram, Samsung SSD, GTX1080ti.

Wow...so much to disagree with here it's hard to decide where to start.

There's no requirement to uninstall ORBX software, e.g. to release the license like P3D and some add-ons.  It's not completely clear to me whether you're upgrading an existing 4.2 install to 4.4 by uninstalling and reinstalling the components (client, scenery, content) or uninstalling the old and rebuilding from scratch.  If you're rebuilding, delete the entire P3D directory, reinstall, and then run FTX Central to reinstall the ORBX sceneries--no uninstallation necessary.  If you're updating, it's a bit more complex, but still there is no requirement to uninstall first.  A scenery update will require you to reinstall FTX Global, because the P3D scenery component will restore all the default textures that FTXG already replaced.  Also, if you use Orbx Trees, that'll also need reinstallation.  The rest should still be there.  To reinstall FTXG and Trees, go into <P3D root dir>\Orbx\User Documents\Versions and delete the FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.txt and FTX_TREES_HD.txt files...that will identify the add-ons as not installed to FTX Central.  Then install both add-ons using FTX Central (which does not need reinstallation when changing versions).

As far as ORBX being the root of all evil w/r/t frame rate problems, stutters etc.  No, sorry, that's an overly simplistic assertion that's not true.  First, ORBX is a whole family of add-on products that can be included in your installation a la carte, and each is different in how it may or may not affect performance.  FTX Global, for example, is just a better replacement for textures that already exist.  There is no performance impact whatsoever from FTX Global, because you're just loading different (much better) artwork at the same resolution as the default.  Some, like the regions, can be a performance hit.  ORBX SoCal is the worst, as it adds more than 750 airport files, a bunch of mesh, photoscenery, etc, and in an area that's chock full of busy airports and high-density traffic.  Their land class products are minimal in terms of performance hit, but they dramatically improve the world (what's so great about smooth frames with sliders to the right over the default world that looks like a giant brown desert, anyway?).  And their add-on airports are generally good (but vary in quality), but require the region scenery in many cases.  It's a mixed bag, and you can always disable the parts you don't want for a flight (e.g. I disable SoCal regional scenery and just use Global plus their North American LandClass when operating in/out of LA Country--i.e LAX/SMO/BUR etc).  And then there's FTX Vector, which presents some real challenges.  A mixed bag, but not worth just throwing everything out, IMHO.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

Just do a complete uninstall of P3Dv4.3 after you uninstall ORBX add-ons through FTX Central 3. Uninstall all your add-ons as well including the associated directories. Leave FTX Central 3 alone.

Definitely did not have to do this.  Just install the P3D Client, Install the 4.4 Client.  Uninstall the Content, Install the 4.4 Client.  Uninstall the Scenery, Install the 4.4 Scenery.  Go fly with your favorite aircraft or addon.  You might want to backup your scenery.cfg but other than that everything else is left intact.  Make sure you positively and for sure do not delete any left over folders after any uninstall.  Definitely the easiest operation and wish Microsoft would have done it to FSX. This is how I did it when I upgraded and it worked perfectly.  Now, if we go to a completely new version of P3D, like P3D v5, I would recommend uninstalling every thing and then installing the new version.  Many of the addons and aircraft may work with any new major upgrade of P3D but best to wait to see if each are compatible.  You'll see in this forum what products are compatible as they become compatible.

Edited by Jim Young

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

23 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Definitely did not have to do this.  Just install the P3D Client, Install the 4.4 Client.  Uninstall the Content, Install the 4.4 Client.  Uninstall the Scenery, Install the 4.4 Scenery.  Go fly with your favorite aircraft or addon.  You might want to backup your scenery.cfg but other than that everything else is left intact.  Make sure you positively and for sure do not delete any left over folders after any uninstall.  Definitely the easiest operation and wish Microsoft would have done it to FSX. This is how I did it when I upgraded and it worked perfectly.  Now, if we go to a completely new version of P3D, like P3D v5, I would recommend uninstalling every thing and then installing the new version.  Many of the addons and aircraft may work with any new major upgrade of P3D but best to wait to see if each are compatible.  You'll see in this forum what products are compatible as they become compatible.

Each to his own. I did not say anyone "had" to do this. My experience. I freely chose to do it for the said reasons. Simple really. No need to run into defense mode.

Edited by Ezra

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

Each to his own. I did not say anyone "had" to do this. My experience. I freely chose to do it for the said reasons. Simple really. No need to run into defense mode.

Really...

Quote:

" Just do a complete uninstall of P3Dv4.3 after you uninstall ORBX add-ons through FTX Central 3. Uninstall all your add-ons as well including the associated directories. " 

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

43 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Really...

Quote:

" Just do a complete uninstall of P3Dv4.3 after you uninstall ORBX add-ons through FTX Central 3. Uninstall all your add-ons as well including the associated directories. " 

What does the title of the thread say sir? 

Quote: "Uninstalling all of ORBX" --Find another reason. . .Lol. . .Lol.

Edited by Ezra

1 hour ago, Ezra said:

What does the title of the thread say sir? 

Quote: "Uninstalling all of ORBX" --Find another reason. . .Lol. . .Lol.

but  you don't  need  to   as  explained  in  so  many threads in updating  to  4.4,  so what  are  you  going  to  do  when  going  to  4.5  when it  comes  out😀

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

19 hours ago, sem said:

So i deleted my prepar3d v4.2 to migrate over to v4.4, but i forgot to uninstall my orbx products beforehand, do i have to unsinstall them in FTX central or do i have to uninstall FTX Central itself?

The short answer is no you don't.

But this is the Avsim forum so short answers do not stay short.

3 hours ago, nolonger said:

The short answer is no you don't.

But this is the Avsim forum so short answers do not stay short.

The short answer will often get you in into trouble.  I'm happy that this is a place where people go the extra mile to help beyond a simple yes/no where a simple yes/no might cause problems, and the number of people that provide short, snarky, simple answers to potentially complicated problems is fairly low.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Regrettably

Edited by nolonger

I think it is great for anyone looking, to be able to find out any answers to their questions (which includes other user experiences). You will naturally get objections (and clarifications) and alternative outcomes. ->my alternative outcome with orbyx sceneries, I have no obvious loss of fps with multiple orbyx regions and sceneries installed. However, one can do as one wishes.

Edited by jimcarrel

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 2/8/2019 at 7:28 AM, Jim Young said:

Jim,

I am *very* intrigued by your post since I too am starting down the path of converting all or most of my scenery to XML.  Once I do this, how do I ensure the old scenery.cfg file is clean, accurate and intact ?  That is my primary goal - ending up with a scenery.cfg that is default scenery only.   I will be converting a fair amount of airports so I thought I'd ask you since you posted.  Any advice appreciated. 

thanks

John

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating