hellmike

PMDG life after 737 Max

Recommended Posts

hello guys, I imagine that PMDG will still make the 737 max, but what we see afterwards is a "vacuum" of information about future projects, so I would like to raise the idea of pmdg look sideways and consider doing the series EMB170/175/190/195, are very popular airplanes worldwide and of great acceptance in the virtual market too, I think it would sell very well, as we are lacking a good model, the feelthere never attended properly
fellas, if you agree with me make it come to pmdg guys
If the PMDG thinks about doing another boeing, the 767 would be very welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

Maybe PMDG will cancel their order for the 737 MAX......and go for the Airbus A320NEO instead? :laugh:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

What vacuum? PMDG seem to have enough to keep them busy for several few years! They've got the J41 P3D port, 777 update including adding the 200ER and 300 variants, Global Flight Operations and 737 NG3 to do.

PMDG are essentially in bed with Boeing so I can't see them straying far. Boeing's attempts to purchase Embraer may play in to PMDG doing an E-jet or E-Jetv2, but feelThere are already upgrading there's. CaptainSim has done a good 757 for P3D which would logically play in to CS doing a 767.

PMDG got their fingers burnt with the MD-11's disappointing sales, so can't see them developing anything that's being retired or is rare (DC-6 excepted because it's not the same level of complication).

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ckyliu said:

PMDG got their fingers burnt with the MD-11's disappointing sales, so can't see them developing anything that's being retired or is rare (DC-6 excepted because it's not the same level of complication).

As I understand it, PMDG actually wasn't the primary developer for the MD-11...they partnered up with Bill Grabowski after he had the panel already mostly written to put his work together with a good model, sounds, docs etc.  I don't think they had nearly the time and resources invested in it as in their other home-grown projects, and I suspect that their decision to orphan the MD-11 was as much driven by not having that team in place any longer as it was in sales numbers.

The JS41 sort of runs counter to your point...it's certainly rare and probably not very far out from retirement, but it's RSR's pet project, even if it is a really ugly baby.  I'm still kind of surprised there hasn't been a PMDG DC-3/C-47/R-4D yet, given that RSR has unlimited hands-on access to one.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post

@w6kd Yeah it wasn't a full "in-house" PMDG project and I'm sure lack of experienced personnel contributed to its discontinuance from sale but nonetheless I think the sales figures proved a warning to them. The JS41 is niche but most are still in service because there aren't many alternatives that are any younger, and as you said it's RSR's pet. Besides, it's a personal favourite of mine so be nice about it 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

After the MAX - the seemingly logical next step(s) would be 777-2/3/X and/or 787 series. I would be pleased with either of them or a 757/767 series. 

I would not be angry if they went to EMB or Airbus as a shocker - the DC6 was a shocker to me.

I just hope GFO does not take too much time to develop and especially "maintain", or we may have a longer wait for anything new.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, pracines said:

After the MAX - the seemingly logical next step(s) would be 777-2/3/X and/or 787 series. I would be pleased with either of them or a 757/767 series. 

I would not be angry if they went to EMB or Airbus as a shocker - the DC6 was a shocker to me.

I just hope GFO does not take too much time to develop and especially "maintain", or we may have a longer wait for anything new.

The 767 has been stepped over for years because of a perceived "placeholder" by Level-D, but they've been radio silent for so long, I certainly do hope someone like PMDG will step in.  It's still a staple of the cargo fleet, but its numbers are dwindling these days, too.

Yeah, GFO (I still think naughty thoughts when I see that acronym) looks like a potential distraction for them.  I'm not a real fan of the idea at all...hope they keep their airplane add-on development pipeline moving while the grand GFO experiment proceeds (or doesn't).

Regards

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, w6kd said:

Yeah, GFO (I still think naughty thoughts when I see that acronym) looks like a potential distraction for them.  I'm not a real fan of the idea at all...hope they keep their airplane add-on development pipeline moving while the grand GFO experiment proceeds (or doesn't).

It has been said that GFO won't take any resources away from aircraft development. It's primarily developed by Kyle Rodgers and runs parallel to their other stuff. That being said, the NG3 is said to be making rapid progress, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, threegreen said:

It has been said that GFO won't take any resources away from aircraft development.

Correct.

48 minutes ago, threegreen said:

It's primarily developed by Kyle Rodgers and runs parallel to their other stuff.

Initially just me, yes. It's a team of us now, but we all work on it in parallel with other tasks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think the 757 or 767 is in the offering - one is a near dinosaur, and the other will probably approach it in the next few years.  Of course, the Queen is still the Queen, and everyone still has affection for it, which is why it's selling so well (my supposition).  I do believe we will see the MAX, regardless of recent events,   before a possible 787.  And down the long road?  Perhaps the 797?😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

the Queen is still the Queen, and everyone still has affection for it

The 757 isn't as iconic as the 747, obviously, but it is more than just some airplane. Probably the most versatile commercial jet there ever was and so full of power that it can get a bit scary at low weights. Just look at all the routes into small American airports that it's being used on because on those short runways with a reasonable TOW in summer and, in many instances, high altitude, other, modern jets wouldn't be able to get their a.. off the ground. I find it sad, personally, that the 757 is disappearing and I hope the likes of Delta and United will keep the jet in their fleet for some more years (given Delta's business model of operating a rather old fleet I suspect they will be flying it well into the 2020s, with the exception of older airframes). I'll make the statement that Boeing should have continued the aircraft with a new, up-to-date version. We'll see how the 797 follows the legacy the 757 leaves behind.

Point is, I don't think the 757(/767) would sell too badly. Though it's old news that PMDG won't make one.

Edited by threegreen

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, ckyliu said:

What vacuum? PMDG seem to have enough to keep them busy for several few years! They've got the J41 P3D port, 777 update including adding the 200ER and 300 variants, Global Flight Operations and 737 NG3 to do.

PMDG are essentially in bed with Boeing so I can't see them straying far. Boeing's attempts to purchase Embraer may play in to PMDG doing an E-jet or E-Jetv2, but feelThere are already upgrading there's. CaptainSim has done a good 757 for P3D which would logically play in to CS doing a 767.

PMDG got their fingers burnt with the MD-11's disappointing sales, so can't see them developing anything that's being retired or is rare (DC-6 excepted because it's not the same level of complication).

the "vacuum" I'm referring to is about the future, we figured PMDG is developing the 737 MAX, but there's no such information as far as I know, we'd usually always have some information about future projects, but at that point I do not I see nothing on the horizon, so I keep my suggestion, the Embraer line is popular in the real and virtual world, it has many variations, it is certainly a "marketable" product, but if you opt for a 767 or even a 787, I would not complain , at that moment I would only find it unnecessary to make expansions for the 777, I do not know about you, but I want a new aircraft, completely new, something different to fly

Share this post


Link to post

@scandinavian13 I'm sure it was intimated to me by PMDG staff (not yourself) that GFO was partly responsible for delay of the J41 P3D port. If that's not the case, I am somewhat reassured.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/28/2019 at 11:38 AM, ckyliu said:

@scandinavian13 I'm sure it was intimated to me by PMDG staff (not yourself) that GFO was partly responsible for delay of the J41 P3D port. If that's not the case, I am somewhat reassured.

There's a post by Mr RR on the PMDG hosted forums that considerable difficulties reworking the J41 for P3D has caused dev work to be shelved on it for the time being. Not forever but its definitely not going anywhere anytime soon apparently, regardless of other higher priority work. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now