Nyxx

RTSS, help?

I use FPS locked in P3D (26) and the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 (that's not up for debate that's just what works for me )

But I thought I would try after people keep saying its best to use an external one.

Well, firstly is there any technical reason why? I would like to fully understand why an external limiter is better than locked/FFTF 0.01.

I Downloaded RTSS and removed FFTF (set FPS to unlimited within P3D) to try it but I ran into a problem right away. I run two screens one above the other, the top screen is for P3D and I use the bottom screen to drag 2D pop-ups of the PFD/ND to use at there IRL full-size.

The problem is the second I open a 2D pop-up ND/PFD FPS drop from 26 to 13...half! is there a way in RTSS to stop this?

Any other suggestions to get the best out of RTSS if I can get around it halfing my FPS with pop up's.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What method are you using? manual FPS value or 1/2 scanline sync? If its scanline sync, just out of curiosity, what happens when you set your MFD refresh rate (within the sim) to double the target FPS? (so 60 if you are targeting 30FPS). 

All I did was set 26 FPS in the little window but within FSL 2D FPS are set to 13, but the sim itself was also running at 13 FPS once the 2D was open.

RTSS @ VSync/2 will help smooth the frame rates so that they match the (half) sync rate of the monitor e.g.  a 60Hz screen mode @ a half vsync rate will yield 30 fps and should be quite smooth becuase the output is vsync'd, providing the PC can reach 30 fps and have some headroom (20% is a reasonable figure, but higher is better).

This vid link includes the RTSS and P3D settings used to achive the vid fps rate.

Riva Tuner Statistics Server vsyncing @ half monitor 60hz for 30 fps @ L35 Big Bear airport

Check the bottom RH corner where the framerate counter displays.

As to dropping fps when opening another window, yes that happens and maybe someone else with more knowledge in that area can help perhaps?

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

I too get the frame rate drop when opening 2d panels and dragging to another screen.  I am trying to adjust to opening and closing the panels on the same screen.  It is too bad because RTSS vync/2 seems to smooth things for me.

Darcy

Seams its a no go then. 

Might try Nvidia inspector to just lock fps and see if that works?

You're mising the point of VSync which is to align the application's screen output with the actual monitor screen mode draw scanrate.

Throw is a bit of buffering (Triple Buffer) to help keep alignment and the result is a very smooth and stutter free flying experience.

Since practically no machine can reliably output 60~80 fps once a bunch of addins have been installed, a half vsync option (such as provided by RTSS) or a 30 Hz monitor and the use of the P3D vsync settings, will provide a very smooth flying experience while also typically leaving enough GPU headroom to increase the P3D graphics sliders.

The caveate though is that the machine must be able to maintain enough fps to sit in the VSync sweet spot, e.g. ~29 to 31 fps for a 30 Hz screen mode.

So in reality, and because the P3D frame rate is not static, the machine will need to produce an overhead of fps, around 10~30% is a reasonable figure.

If the machine can consiistantly maintain such rates you'll find vsync a quite an enjoyable flying experience.

But given you're talking 26 fps...

Cheers

I get what your suggest but your “missing the point” I don’t run VS or 30 FPS. If I was looking for how to run Vsync and Triple B, I would of asked.

Thank you for your thoughts, but all I want was to lock FPS at 26 without the loss with 2D,s open.

I have no problems with smoothness or textures loading.

Edited by Nyxx

7 hours ago, Nyxx said:

I get what your suggest but your “missing the point” I don’t run VS or 30 FPS. If I was looking for how to run Vsync and Triple B, I would of asked.

Thank you for your thoughts, but all I want was to lock FPS at 26 without the loss with 2D,s open.

I have no problems with smoothness or textures loading.

Last year I tried an external framerate limiter ( NVI )  with a locked framerate and 2 views : I ended up with 50% of the framerate...

Edited by GSalden

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Last year I tried an external framerate limiter ( NVI )  with a locked framerate and 2 views : I ended up with 50% of the framerate...

Hi Gerard,

OK that’s it, giving up on this idea, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Nyxx