Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

3 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

they had 6 releases in MS-DOS well before a Windows version came out

I did not know that MS owned and released versions of FS before windows.

Thanks for the correction,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

2 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Problem is they relied on Orbx FlamingoFlow (tm).  That's why we'll need the Flamingo add-ons.

I will need some CanadageeseFlow too.

Well, this is a surprise.

I recall 10 years or so ago, when Flight was announced, people noted that “simulator” was dropped from the title. “Simulator” has returned to the title. This gives me cause for optimism. Another bit to be optimistic about is that Microsoft probably learned their lesson 10 years ago with the Flight flop. 

We all knew that if a new engine was going to be used, it would take time to build. I am guessing at least 5 years.

For 3rd party developers, I think the scenery guys might not be needed in this carnation if satellite imagery and google like models are used. Which sort of supports what we are seeing now with alleged “prioritizing” of X-Plane development over P3D. But I guess aircraft developers will still be need, but this is all conjecture on my part.

My only hope is this runs on an average PC and not a PC that requires a second mortgage.

• Like 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Just now, Ted Striker said:

I did not know that MS owned and released versions of FS before windows.

Thanks for the correction,

Ted

I should clarify, the 6 releases that Microsoft released in MSDOS were developed by Bruce Artwick BAO and licenced by Microsoft. It was after the release of MSFS5.1 that Microsoft bought BAO from Bruce and employed him. From that point on it was owned by Microsoft and that was when they released Flight Simulator 95 for Windows 95. 

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

I'm wondering after the abandonment of FSX and what happened with FLIGHT, what Microsoft's financial incentive would be to go down this road again.....

The only way I would be interested if I was them, is if I pretty much intended to corner the entire FS market, and did not the various third party companies have a cow the last time that was tried?

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

But I guess aircraft developers will still be need, but this is all conjecture on my part.

It would be great if airports and planes were the only add-ons needed.  Weather, clouds, shaders, mesh, textures, night lighting, vector data, is the obnoxious part. 

Seeing Aerosoft as the default a320neo developer is a good sign.  Well deducing that from the look and the same registration number.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

Please let this be good. 

I couldn't agree more.  I'm reticent to get too excited, but something deep inside is starting to simmer.  How many remember the excitement waiting on the next MS Flight Sim release... that video really ratchets up the anticipation.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

17 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I'm wondering after the abandonment of FSX and what happened with FLIGHT, what Microsoft's financial incentive would be to go down this road again.....

The only way I would be interested if I was them, is if I pretty much intended to corner the entire FS market, and did not the various third party companies have a cow the last time that was tried?

Yeah. I'm trying to see where MS is coming from with this announcement. MS. The company of Server, Office, Cloud and Windows. Not for a minute do I think MS would ever do anything to elevate humanity and revive the good feelings with the days of Bill Gates' Flight Simulator. MS is about making huge bank.

So, I don't see this as anything beyond a better AF2. There's just not enough money to be made with a full on serious flight simulator. Will it be fun? Maybe. But, my opinion, as someone who likes the simulation part of simulation, is yawn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

That KLAX looks like Flightbeam quality - I wonder what TXKF, FMMI, CYLT, and FHSH look like? 

That storm front looks scary, yet like a cartoon, just like FSW clouds did - I wonder if real weather will be an option?

The ramp at KLAX has animated ramp agents - I wonder if we will communicate with them?

If the ATC works as good as the scenery looks (making true earth look old and ugly), it will be a "hard to beat" contender.

I wonder if VR will be an option?

This new flight sim may just force a total reevaluation of the competition (including many 3rd parties). If this is a truly full featured (FS9 FSX MSF FSW XP11 P3D4 with add-ons) flight sim, I don't see how XP11, AF2, FlyInside FS will survive. P3D will survive because its a "not for entertainment" product.

Even the flamingos have shadows!!!!!😮

• Like 1

I don't know how many here have followed any type of modern gaming.

Lots of props and lots of ground eye candy in the promo and nothing else already gives a strong indication it's a typical modern flight game not a sim.

If it makes sales, expect lots of DLC's that will cost lots of $$$. A complete world visually as per promo, real flight sim features, user created content, those days are gone.

FS9 forever! lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mark Daniels

40 minutes ago, pracines said:

If this is a truly full featured (FS9 FSX MSF FSW XP11 P3D4 with add-ons) flight sim, I don't see how XP11, AF2, FlyInside FS will survive. P3D will survive because its a "not for entertainment" product.

Even the flamingos have shadows!!!!!😮

Would we really be naive enough to trust ourselves solely to the hands of Microsoft once again?

Microsoft, that regularly shrugs and walks away from stuff, leaving purchasers high and dry?

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I don't even know what to say, whoa. If this is the real deal for all of us, it will be major game changer of the decade. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

14 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Would we really be naive enough to trust ourselves solely to the hands of Microsoft once again?

Microsoft, that regularly shrugs and walks away from stuff, leaving purchasers high and dry?

One difference is calling the last one Microsoft Flight sent a message they were trying something new

Calling this one Microsoft Flight Simulator shows a commitment to the franchise once again. Just have an open mind about it, what we see so far looks good. 😎

• Like 5

Matthew Kane

9 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Microsoft is just money hungry and can't stand the thought that they let the whole flight simulator concept slip through their fingers and left all that money and committed followers on the table.

I'm leaning more and more toward X-Plane every year. When MS support of FSX dried up, they gave X-Plane a big booster shot and it just keeps looking better and better all the time.

Even if MS came out with a flight simulator in 2020, I wouldn't even consider trying it until about 2027, knowing how they are so quick to pull the plug on anything that they do if they think the green-backs aren't rolling in fast enough.

45 minutes ago, dmiannay said:

I couldn't agree more.  I'm reticent to get too excited, but something deep inside is starting to simmer.  How many remember the excitement waiting on the next MS Flight Sim release... that video really ratchets up the anticipation.

Yup! :smile: