Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

. But with the PMDG SDK and a brilliant tutorial showing how to use the power of FSUIPC I have programmed two GoFlight switches to open all passenger and cargo doors without the need to navigate through the CDU menu you think that’s going to be possible with this new flight sim then you’re going to be disappointed

To be honest Ray, that is a small price to pay for the potential of  new tech.  I don't want the same thing.  I'm open to entirely different everything, if the overall experience is as appealing as the short promo video.   The big sting in the tail, potentially, is how they allow major players to sell/add to the platform.  

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Ops Normal said:

not sure if this has been posted before but just listened to Phil spencer talk about the importance of local storage for games versus running from the cloud. Thats around 25mins into the interview.

That's what I've been saying since the beginning. Looking into Microsoft's current policies, they are aiming to provide multiple choices to the customers. They don't want to exclude any way to get/play their games. There's no reason to believe the only way to use the upcoming MSFS will be online through the cloud. If their tech really needs some kind of streaming for the whole scenery to be photoreal, it will be an option.

• Like 2

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

4 minutes ago, ErichB said:

To be honest Ray, that is a small price to pay for the potential of  new tech.  I don't want the same thing.  I'm open to entirely different everything, if the overall experience is as appealing as the short promo video.

Actually what he's saying is easily doable with a shortcut on the settings of the sims. All the modern games have it. X-Plane, DCS, Aerofly FS2 have a vast options to set shortcuts. 

Everything FSUIPC do is making an ancient engine more friendly. For FSX/P3D it is really important to have it, but new engines can handle shortcuts just fine. 

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

2 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Actually what he's saying is easily doable with a shortcut on the settings of the sims. All the modern games have it. X-Plane, DCS, Aerofly FS2 have a vast options to set shortcuts. 

Everything FSUIPC do is making an ancient engine more friendly. For FSX/P3D it is really important to have it, but new engines can handle shortcuts just fine. 

agree

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

But with the PMDG SDK and a brilliant tutorial showing how to use the power of FSUIPC I have programmed two GoFlight switches to open all passenger and cargo doors without the need to navigate through the CDU menu.

If you think that’s going to be possible with this new flight sim then you’re going to be disappointed. And can those commands be replicated on a base XP11? I doubt it. The reason FSUIPC has been around for so long is because it can do things base sims cannot.

You just mentioned that you have no interest in XP11, how can you be so sure?

Yes, it is totally possible to achieve that without any sort of 3rd. party plugins using the built-in XP11 datarefs system which let you assign complex aircraft controls into any bindable elements such as a joystick button. Something similar is also possible on DCS...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

12 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Yes, it is totally possible to achieve that without any sort of 3rd. party plugins using the built-in XP11 datarefs system which let you assign complex aircraft controls into any bindable elements such as a joystick button. Something similar is also possible on DCS...

On all modern games you can assign a million shortcuts for whatever you want. FSUIPC is needed because ESP/FSX had their limitations. All the other simulators, with modern engines, can do it without any add-ons.

He's failling to see that because he is being a little closed minded (focusing on P3D only, as the only possible way to deal with things).

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

BTW, we used FSUIPC with our Shackleton simulator, & 3x Leo Bodnar cards, to control, amongst other thing, 4x throttles & 4 RPM controls, and that's in FS2004, as well as proper gear controls! (no SDK in sight!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

14 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

On all modern games you can assign a million shortcuts for whatever you want. FSUIPC is needed because ESP/FSX had their limitations. All the other simulators, with modern engines, can do it without any add-ons.

He's failling to see that because he is being a little closed minded (focusing on P3D only, as the only possible way to deal with things).

Exactly. It only shows how little LM has done when it comes to important QoL changes that everyone using other platforms already expect since many years. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

I'm sure that LM's commercial target market is very happy with what they are getting, or else LM would not be marketing P3D as a not for entertainment device. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you think that’s going to be possible with this new flight sim then you’re going to be disappointed. 

You have no idea what MSFS2020 will or won't be capable of, so you have no idea if we will indeed be disappointed or not.  Please stop stating your opinions as facts.

Thank you.

• Like 5

Indeed.. It's amazing how many 'clued up' guys have all this information & facts, after a less than 2 minute teaser, that may or may not reflect the true state of MFS,

• Like 3

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 hour ago, Wobbie said:

PMDG is most certainly not the benchmark of how sims should operate.

It really MUST be understood that there are simmers that actually do not use any PMDG products, believe it or not!

Obviously, there are those that assume that those who do not play PMDG are lesser simmers than those who do, so please just remember that simming is not, or should not be ego driven, much as it seems like it is, here, and on other forums..

Just remember that we are playing the same game, be it FSX or FSX:SE, no matter how much lipstick you throw at it.

That's your opinion to which you are entitled but I disagree with you. I love comments like this that dismiss how good something is but then fail to state what is better. So @Wobbie, if PMDG is not the benchmark for civilian airliners please tell me what is.

I never said PMDG was the best in any case so your comment appears to be bashing PMDG without foundation. Of course there are people who don't use their products. That's a personal choice and I don't criticise them for that.

And I don't 'play a game'. I use P3D to simulate real-world aircraft as close as possible to the real thing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

if PMDG is not the benchmark for civilian airliners

Actually, I think it is the benchmark for a number of reasons for civilian airliners along with FSLabs..  But is isn't a benchmark for how 'sims should operate' as stated by @Wobbie.  Nit picky

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

To be honest Ray, that is a small price to pay for the potential of  new tech.  I don't want the same thing.  I'm open to entirely different everything, if the overall experience is as appealing as the short promo video.   The big sting in the tail, potentially, is how they allow major players to sell/add to the platform.  

Erich, you think that. I don't. Yes, the scenery looks brilliant but there will be a price to pay for that. It is moving in a completely different direction to sims of the last 25 years in that streaming and subscription will probably be needed. How that will affect performance is unknown. But what I do know is that with my current hardware on P3D v4 performance is excellent so why do I need to change especially when it's not known if there'll be an SDK? I'm not prepared to dump all I've bought and start again.

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

Because I have no desire to spend money on aircraft and scenery to replicate what I have in P3D. And P3D has seasons, XP doesn't. P3D can use AIG Ai with over 300 aircraft at EGLL. No equivalent is available for XP I believe. I'm talking about multiple commands for a switch, not a single one. Is that possible in XP? DCS does not interest me.

47 minutes ago, Mengy said:

You have no idea what MSFS2020 will or won't be capable of, so you have no idea if we will indeed be disappointed or not.  Please stop stating your opinions as facts.

Thank you.

Neither do you and given the number of posts you have you have only been around here for 5 minutes.

Do you know if an SDK will be available? If not then the amount of independent 3rd party software will be limited because everything will have to be bought through Microsoft and that will probably make everything more expensive.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Erich, you think that. I don't. Yes, the scenery looks brilliant but there will be a price to pay for that. It is moving in a completely different direction to sims of the last 25 years in that streaming and subscription will probably be needed

But P3D isn't going anywhere (as far as we know).  We will always have it.  So, it's a win win situation for everyone.  At FSExpo, the LM team were quite emphatic that good things are coming our way - even though they were gagged on giving details.

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 5