Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

16 hours ago, pmb said:

I don't understand why you will opt for a hardware X-Box at all.

I won't, because I already have a decent PC built that might just need one or two small upgrades to run the new sim as I only use a single 1080p screen and no VR.

But for people who would need a completely new machine or at least an extensive upgrade, the new Xbox might be an alternative as long as MSFSXX with it's whole ecosystem (hardware, addons etc.) runs the same on both platforms. The XBox will most likely be cheaper than even just a GPU with comparable performance, let alone a whole PC built to comparable specs.

Edited by Airboeing
  • Upvote 1

There are companies showing their Fs product in vids recorded with 1/2 speed to increase smoothness when replaying them at normal speed...

Hopefully this isn’t the case with MS.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

12 hours ago, snglecoil said:

This thread has jumped the shark....and since Avsim is full of old...um...I mean, seasoned members, a lot of you should  get that reference 😉

I prefer to think of it as being "weathered" full of character and somewhat "classical" in nature...

:smile:

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer

Stephen

• Like 2

747 in the trailer at 44 seconds, LAX night landing scene.

Edited by Jim Young
link to videonot working. Video must be embedded.

Again -  all that’s great Rob. 

I totally agree that every site can run with whatever rules it wants.

This has jumped off what we were really talking about, which is a native add-on store and ratings, reviews and discussions built into that where developers can’t craft the narrative or censor reviews and discussions they don’t like. 

All the discussion about censorship and who controls the narrative aside, the reality is the majority of mainstream users would greatly benefit from a native “Add on Store”.

It would be so wonderful to have an integrated solution where everything is purchasable and updates easily, all built right in.

Personally I think it would be great to get some more sensible across-the-board pricing for certain types of add-ons also. Some of the flightsim world has gone out of control with their pricing in my opinion  

Edited by irrics
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No interest in XP11, sorry.

thats a shame 😕

• Upvote 2

..one more thought on third-party add-ons in general…

The ecosystem is in a better place if the core sim program covers a lot more of the stuff that third parties are currently having to do just to get the baseline sim up to spec.  

Some Third-party developers got a little bit too comfortable profiting handsomely from some aspects of the experience that should be covered by the platform itself, and probably will be now moving forward again. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Being polite and civil isn’t subjective and it has a much higher probability that such an approach would provide benefits for all and get results quickly for the individual.  Hiding behind anonymity is not a justification to be rude and abusive.

That’s a bit of a strawman Rob.

I never said I’m in favor of people not being civil or polite.  

Also, what constitutes “polite and civil” can actually be pretty subjective, since we all have different norms around language and tone and appropriateness, etc.

The reality is that the lines quickly can blur for some forum moderators into users not being able to really be honest or have negative opinions about developers, which is my main concern.

Even here in these discussions we’ve had people say “stop bashing the devs” simply because they don’t like the tone towards some third parties - some of whom may deserve every bit of it.

Unvarnished opinions can seem abrasive to some people while simultaneously being “thank goodness someone is saying it finally” to other people.

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

@Rob_Ainscough

Thx for the thoughtful reply.

I think we've fleshed this out pretty good and I appreciate you sticking with it and the cordial and intelligent debate.

Cheers

Edited by irrics

Don't forget relevance, Rob. How many reviews have we seen on Amazon where someone gives a product one star because UPS delivered it to the wrong house?

For me, when a reviewer docks a product for something that obviously isn't the product's fault, I ignore his review even if he goes on to write several detailed pages about the product itself. And I've seen such things in the flight sim world as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I find it interesting that some people are skeptic of the new MSFS because it won't support some 20-y.o. software like FSUIPC...

FSUIPC's main functionalities, like setting different controls for different aircraft, special key/joystick assignments, decent calibration, etc., are tools that should be included in the base sim to start with!!! And...guess what...they are!!! At least on XP11 and DCS...

Thank God that innovation on flight simulator software is not dependant on us Avsimmers...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

41 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

I find it interesting that some people are skeptic of the new MSFS because it won't support some 20-y.o. software like FSUIPC...

FSUIPC's main functionalities, like setting different controls for different aircraft, special key/joystick assignments, decent calibration, etc., are tools that should be included in the base sim to start with!!! And...guess what...they are!!! At least on XP11 and DCS...

Thank God that innovation on flight simulator software is not dependant on us Avsimmers...

That's what happens when people don't try different simulators or even games. They get out of their cave claiming their simulator is the best and does everything well. But when confronted with the fact that others are doing things in a better way (in some aspects), they simply have no clue.

That's why for me a healthy simmer is a multi platform simmer 😄 😄

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

FSUIPC is not “some 20 year old software” as you claim. It goes through a process of almost continuous improvement and probably includes many features you never use.

I’ll give you one example of how powerful it is. On the PMDG737 to operate the doors requires the user to navigate through the CDU menu and press the relevant keys. That is a laborious process.

But with the PMDG SDK and a brilliant tutorial showing how to use the power of FSUIPC I have programmed two GoFlight switches to open all passenger and cargo doors without the need to navigate through the CDU menu.

If you think that’s going to be possible with this new flight sim then you’re going to be disappointed. And can those commands be replicated on a base XP11? I doubt it. The reason FSUIPC has been around for so long is because it can do things base sims cannot.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

PMDG is most certainly not the benchmark of how sims should operate.

It really MUST be understood that there are simmers that actually do not use any PMDG products, believe it or not!

Obviously, there are those that assume that those who do not play PMDG are lesser simmers than those who do, so please just remember that simming is not, or should not be ego driven, much as it seems like it is, here, and on other forums..

Just remember that we are playing the same game, be it FSX or FSX:SE, no matter how much lipstick you throw at it.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

not sure if this has been posted before but just listened to Phil spencer talk about the importance of local storage for games versus running from the cloud. Thats around 25mins into the interview.

• Like 1