Sign in to follow this  
patrickbc

FlightSimLabs comments on MSFS 2020:

Ray, if you want to experience true speed, give the SR-71 a try when it comes out 😉

4 minutes ago, Blackbrd said:

if you want to experience true speed, give the SR-71 a try when it comes out

Is Milviz developing the SR-71? That would be fantastic.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

7 minutes ago, Blackbrd said:

Ray, if you want to experience true speed, give the SR-71 a try when it comes out 😉

Fan of the Blackbird given its capabilities, yet I love this old-as-the-hills anecdote:

'There's this SR-71 Blackbird stooging around Cuba on a top-secret mission, at FL500+ and Mach 2+.... when they get a call requesting them to change heading "because of traffic at your altitude".
Traffic at THEIR altitude ??
Anyway, they comply, and shortly, yes, there's an Air France Concorde out of Caracas (Air France flew there in the early days) sailing across their flight path.

Just imagine... two guys in bonedomes and full pressure suits, in a cramped cockpit, watching something like a hundred people in shirt sleeves or summer dresses, sipping their champagne and maybe just starting on their smoked salmon hors d'oeuvres, flying at their altitude and nearly their speed...'

Concorde was a marvel of engineering in an era of slide rules and manual technical drawings.

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve just completed a flight in P3D v3 from Oslo to Heathrow. 1h 13m from take-off to wheels down. You can add another hour to that with the flying PC or any other subsonic aircraft.

But, but, sonic booms knocking over all the cattle and sheep...! Incredible time saving on a short-haul.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Short haul on the real Concorde was a non-starter.  Great for time saving (if all the airports were by the sea) but oh the fuel burn!  Nearly 5 times as much.  

Fun in the sim though.

A Concorde captain once told me he was once called in from standby to fly a surprise BA shuttle LHR-EDI which sometimes happened for marketing and publicity, normally flown using the subsonic airways.  On this occasion he and his copilot flight planned a supersonic route over the North Sea and he says they actually went above the maximum of FL600 for a minute or two because it was so light it just kept climbing.  The copilot was hand flying it and rather than suddenly throttle back and spill the passenger drinks, they just let it climb then drift down.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, trumpetfrazz1 said:

All just my opinion Ray and it will be pretty worthless on here as I'm not rated - I've never bothered posting before! 

Another thing I should have added is that working with young people as my day job, they always know about Concorde without me telling them, the issue is if it isn't on their iPhone, they don't want to know, and that could affect the sim community in general not just Concorde X. 

ps Ray, carefully with some of the numbers you are quoting - approach speeds are 190kts to 800ft then down to Vref and always on autothrottle unless they aren't working! 

Speeds noted, thanks Frazz. We all start with a clean slate. Time and good posts will soon get you some credits. 😁

41 minutes ago, Blackbrd said:

Mach 3 and 80,000ft apparently. But you have to wear a bone dome and I don’t want to look like a Richard head. :wink:

27 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Fan of the Blackbird given its capabilities, yet I love this old-as-the-hills anecdote:

'There's this SR-71 Blackbird stooging around Cuba on a top-secret mission, at FL500+ and Mach 2+.... when they get a call requesting them to change heading "because of traffic at your altitude".
Traffic at THEIR altitude ??
Anyway, they comply, and shortly, yes, there's an Air France Concorde out of Caracas (Air France flew there in the early days) sailing across their flight path.

Just imagine... two guys in bonedomes and full pressure suits, in a cramped cockpit, watching something like a hundred people in shirt sleeves or summer dresses, sipping their champagne and maybe just starting on their smoked salmon hors d'oeuvres, flying at their altitude and nearly their speed...'

Concorde was a marvel of engineering in an era of slide rules and manual technical drawings.

But, but, sonic booms knocking over all the cattle and sheep...! Incredible time saving on a short-haul.

I’ve heard that story before. Great stuff! Didn’t go supersonic until clear of the Norwegian coast and subsonic well before the Essex one. Only got up to 56,000ft. No sheep or cows were harmed as a result of this flight! 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Speeds noted, thanks Frazz. We all start with a clean slate. Time and good posts will soon get you some credits. 😁

Yeah, but I've kinda done my time on the other forum, not sure I'll hang around here much as it's less Concorde technical and more sim general

On 6/22/2019 at 10:02 AM, F737NG said:

I'm sure he flew over Ekofisk oil platform in the north sea booming away!

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, Mace said:

I'm sure he flew over Ekofisk oil platform in the north sea booming away!

Indeed. Some kind people recorded it for me. 😁

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'd like to believe that Concorde will be done eventually. I too was waiting for the 64bit version, and would have bought it on release. I do have the 32bit version but have not used it in a long time, as no FSX or 32bit P3D installed on my system.

I just think FSL need to evaluate what platform they should be aiming for, whether it's P3Dv4 or 5. Obviously now with MSFS2020, I would like to think that if all goes well, Concorde will eventually be released on that. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

On 6/17/2019 at 8:01 PM, kingm56 said:

Do you really think P3D V5 will be anywhere close to MSFS 2020?  As much as I appreciate P3D, they’re limited by foundational code that prevents them from making monumental progress.

This type of statement typifies a misconception regarding 3D video games. Although it's true that MS might have some tricks up its sleeve because it controls Wimdows 10, the technology in the new sim probably won't be much of an advancement over P3d4 and  XP11. The new MSFS might embrace ray tracing and DX12 and it appears to use cloud-based scenery. But everything else will still be constrained by both the OS and the broad and varied user hardware base.

All I'm saying is dont expect any miracles.

Edited by jabloomf1230

20 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Indeed. Some kind people recorded it for me. 😁

Wow! That was much louder than I had imagined. Now I see why no one wants this to happen over land... :ohmy:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

7 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Wow! That was much louder than I had imagined. Now I see why no one wants this to happen over land... :ohmy:

Indeed. And it’s why I remain so sceptical the boom can be reduced significantly with a different design.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have some dim memories of hearing sonic booms when I was a kid growing up in Miami. Probably flights from nearby Homestead Air Force Base. It does get your attention!

Back then, people didn't mind so much. It was all rah rah support for the military in the Cold War. Things are different now. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Coming in P3D v5, Lockheed Martin's X-59 QueSST with reduced sonic boom

1200px-Low-Boom_Flight_Demonstrator.jpg

And Lockheed Martin and Aerion's JV supersonic business jet

large_1596_81871.jpg

No-one will need FSL's Concorde  :ph34r:

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter