Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

July 25 Update with video

3 minutes ago, Wildblue said:

I hope not. I'm all for a fresh new start.

If they converted the code to be 64bit, replace the fiber pre-emptive multitasking with multithreading, and improved the render engine to support a modern Direct X, they could certainly expand on it further.

The other advantage of using the other code as a base, is that a lot of the functionality will still be the same.

Nothing they have said yet means they are using the same code base. If they are using the same base code and made all the changes I mentioned above, would it really still be the same base code?

• Like 1

144: MS please ,next time I would like to have a video that is at least 10 seconds longer . . .

about the clouds:

does anyone else think the top layer may be casting a shadow on the lower level?  (which I believe would be a first)

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

59 minutes ago, Torg Smith said:

If they converted the code to be 64bit, replace the fiber pre-emptive multitasking with multithreading, and improved the render engine to support a modern Direct X, they could certainly expand on it further.

The other advantage of using the other code as a base, is that a lot of the functionality will still be the same.

Nothing they have said yet means they are using the same code base. If they are using the same base code and made all the changes I mentioned above, would it really still be the same base code?

Well, i just hope it's an all new base code, fully prepared for building it up even further in the future, aka a fresh new start.without any backward compatibility.

Nobody counted on this new flightsim anyway, it's a surprise for everybody, so i say start anew without looking back, don't spent any energy on backward compatibilty and totally focus on the possibilities now and the expected possibilities in the future.
Maybe that will hurt some who invested a lot in current or past flightsims (me), but that's soon forgotten once there is a totally new and far superior product.
Only my opinion ofcourse.

Edited by Wildblue
  • Upvote 4

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

Would there be reason we couldn't have backwards compatibility with aircraft visual models from previous generations of FS?

Sure there may be coding differences but being able to at least port the model over to the new sim would be a huge time saver for the developers.

I assume the same would go for airport scenery.

I'm all in for a "start from scratch" simulator to ditch the performance issues and limitations of previous gens.

2 hours ago, Reader said:

I prefer progress to promises of the same or speculation as to what the progress might be.

I think we all do.  Right now I haven't even tried to analyze their latest update in detail so I don't know if it contains any really useful information.  But it's like the initial video:  there is a LOT going on there and it's not just eye candy.  As for the speculation in the threads, someone might come up with something I didn't notice so I don't discount their posts.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

10 minutes ago, SilentChill said:

And the most least value comment in the whole thread goes to you. Jog on

This is why avsim has the stigma it has, idiots like this, it's the reason is why I've only posted a handful of times in the last 6 years and  why I never even registered for 10 years before that.

Maybe it is not gently sarcastic posts like Reader's which are the problem but insulting  post like yours ?

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Ok, so it has been confirmed that the MSFS team is lurking the (specifically) "what we want" thread. For the last decade +, we have had pretty screenshots of FSX XP P3D AF ect., and yes the new scenery and clouds are nice; we already knew that from the trailer.

We did not need another screenshot (vid) of pretty scenery and clouds. What would be welcome is a video of the new ATC in action and how it handles a massive amount of traffic (without constant go arounds and clogging of taxiways!!) at KSAN. We need practical features not eye candy.  

Just something new, and vastly (needing) improved, then I will be impressed.

I hope we don't just accept just nice planes, and pretty scenery and clouds as an awesome flight sim.

• We need to see real time airport operations
  • We need to see different seasons 
  • We need to know if polar operations are possible and accurate 
  • We need to know how weather affects a flight and ATC
  • We need to know the extent of the AI air traffic and how smart that AI/ATC will be

I know, I know, 'all in good time' - but why the 3 sec vid - been there done that - we are wasting time with pretty scenery/clouds - lets move on to other very important things.

One thing that does worry me about a brand new simulator is the possibility that we might have to wait years for some decent "study level" airliners. If Microsoft have figured out a way to accelerate the process of porting FSX/P3D code to their new platform then this would give them a flying start!

I cant wait to fly the 747 through and over those clouds while admiring Barcelona below.

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

4 minutes ago, pracines said:

Ok, so it has been confirmed that the MSFS team is lurking the (specifically) "what we want" thread. For the last decade +, we have had pretty screenshots of FSX XP P3D AF ect., and yes the new scenery and clouds are nice; we already knew that from the trailer.

We did not need another screenshot (vid) of pretty scenery and clouds. What would be welcome is a video of the new ATC in action and how it handles a massive amount of traffic (without constant go arounds and clogging of taxiways!!) at KSAN. We need practical features not eye candy.  

I hope we don't just accept just nice planes, and pretty scenery and clouds as an awesome flight sim.

• We need to know the extent of the AI air traffic and how smart that AI/ATC will be

I know, I know, 'all in good time' - but why the 3 sec vid - been there done that - we are wasting time with pretty scenery/clouds - lets move on to other very important things.

1. Its likely still in an early stage, some features may be added later in the dev process

2. They already stated that insiders will get access to in-game-footage sometime AUG/SEP

3. Patience is a virtue

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, pracines said:

[...]

Way, way, way too early in the process to be able to show those.

I want to see the same things on your list too, but they have to get the fundamental basics right first (graphics engine and representation of the world) to entice people to move to MFS.
No point building the rest if the core sim isn't stable.

The pretty scenery and clouds are the easiest element to show-off at this point in time. Let's not forget, we are still only at a trailer video, a snapshot video, plus two short announcements stage of the project. Much more to come, but "all in good time".

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

The latest announcement looks very impressive😃

It appears that compatibility will be assured for airport scenery and aircraft simulator developers.

However, IF things are as they appear, there is likely to be major market disruption for Prepar3D and Orbx.

The future looks very interesting.😎

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

1 hour ago, pracines said:

I recall your rants and demands when FSW was in development, and now a similar tone with MSFS regarding "your" needs vs. what they have shown thus far.

To me, It seems that no developer can get it right for "your" laundry list of demands.

And as they say...If you want something done right, then best do it yourself...

So...when can "we" expect to see your attempt at delivering 1% of what you demand in these threads? I mean something like a sketch design of what that interactive ATC algorithm would look like...

I know, I know, I know....it is much easier to criticize than to empathize...

• Like 7

One very important question has been unequivocally answered: there will be an SDK!

August (Mid/Late) – Development Roadmap Release (v.2019.08/drr1)

• Development beats through EOY 2019
    • Build Program Recruitment and Release timeline
    • SDK Update
    • 3rd Party Content Update
    • UGC Content Update

• Upvote 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator