Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The new FTX Central wiped me out...

I don't think so, even Orbx Central cannot change a file that is being used by a simulator,

if that is what you mean by on the fly.

1 hour ago, Reader said:

I don't think so, even Orbx Central cannot change a file that is being used by a simulator,

if that is what you mean by on the fly.

Fortunately it was not.

What I meant is that the virtual connections link and unlink very easily, which allows things like one central location for files, that can support several versions of the sim without having multiple copies, which pretty much eliminates the accompanying storage space penalty, especially in the age of ginormous photo-sceneries. Also the new central repository is flexible (multi-sim support) and mobile.

It's the arrival in the sim-world of an old concept you can find in powerful mod-managers for things like Skyrim, (Nexus Mod manager, for instance) which essentially do exactly the same thing

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I decided to try again.  

I uninstalled/deleted P3Dv3 from my system.  Nothing there.

I uninstalled Orbx Central.

I reinstalled P3Dv3 on my D drive.

I reinstalled Orbx Central.

Through Orbx Central I installed the Library and Northern California.  Both installed without an obvious problem.

I set up a scenario with the Beech Baron at KDVO, Gnoss Field, an airport I am very familiar with north of San Francisco.

When I got there it was not the Orbx Northern California  Gnoss Field but the default P3Dv3 Gnoss field.

I went into the slew mode and moved south to San Francisco.  The Orbx Northern California Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge are not there; only the stock P3Dv3 bridges.

I searched !FTX*.bgl and they only show up in the D/P3Dv3/Orbx folder.  No other FTX files show up on either my D or C drive.

There are no Orbx files in the scenery library.

Now I gotta go to the medicine cabinet and take a couple of Ibuprofin for my headache.

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Nope, you don't absolutely have to, but for at least for me, it's kind of the whole point of the new system. Why even bother downloading, if not to use it to its fullest potential?

IMO that's not the point. Some users seem to be confused and believe that ORBX Central will automatically migrate or change its ORBX scenery directories and their scenery.CFG file, and that's not correct. It only does it if you want to do it so, in other words, that decision is left to the end user.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

24 minutes ago, edpatino said:

that decision is left to the end user.

IMO seriously confused end users should likely stick with what they have and wait for the dust to settle if in doubt, most especially if they have little to no interest in the new features.

Or, if feeling bold, hold their nose and jump in with both feet, fully aware of the possibility of disaster.

Honestly I and others helped test this system thoroughly, but that was with the full awareness that I could bork things up (which I did, repeatedly, until I knew the system back and forth)

This was so the bugs could be ironed out to the point that what happened to the OP is (hopefully) very much the exception rather than the norm.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I may be the odd man out here, but it seems to me this kind of confusion and complication is what has hurt flight simming's popularity throughout the years.  I bought tons of ORBX scenery and then when the first migration disaster occurred I fortunately had procrastinated and missed out on that fun.  After that event I was afraid to even attempt any migration and because I didn't migrate I then couldn't use the latest version of FTX Central(at the time I believe it was FTXCent.3) and thus couldn't buy any more scenery.  So be it.  I had a very well-performing sim and just decided to lock it down at P3Dv3 with my current ORBX scenery and went to XP11 for 64-bit with plans to also install P3Dv4 on new drive and repurchase the ORBX scenery with the latest FTX Central.  Why risk messing up a good system?  What I'm reading here just reinforces that feeling all over again.  I don't want to have to feel bold and sweat the possibility of disaster when I install something.  I love ORBX scenery, but never did like the change from the original system, where I felt I had more control over what was happening.   I do appreciate the beta-testers and the work they do, though.  BTW, I have been simming off and on since 1990.

My .02,

Jeff 

Edited by JNS
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I decided to try again.  

I uninstalled/deleted P3Dv3 from my system.  Nothing there.

I uninstalled Orbx Central.

I reinstalled P3Dv3 on my D drive.

I reinstalled Orbx Central.

Through Orbx Central I installed the Library and Northern California.  Both installed without an obvious problem.

I set up a scenario with the Beech Baron at KDVO, Gnoss Field, an airport I am very familiar with north of San Francisco.

When I got there it was not the Orbx Northern California  Gnoss Field but the default P3Dv3 Gnoss field.

I went into the slew mode and moved south to San Francisco.  The Orbx Northern California Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge are not there; only the stock P3Dv3 bridges.

I searched !FTX*.bgl and they only show up in the D/P3Dv3/Orbx folder.  No other FTX files show up on either my D or C drive.

There are no Orbx files in the scenery library.

Now I gotta go to the medicine cabinet and take a couple of Ibuprofin for my headache.

I don't know what P3D America files you originally had - but if you had Global Base Pack, Global Vector?, & in particular Global Open LC North America, & you are trying a rebuild from scratch - I think those files need to go in before Orbx Northern California. Not familiar with Gnoss Field, it wasn't sold as a stand alone airfield by Orbx.

Did you buy any Orbx Airfields in Northern California that you could redownload & try, After you have installed Base, Vector & Open LC North America, if you originally had them loaded.

I'll also ask this again as it may help establish what is happening with your Orx A/C: "1st, do you still have an Orbx A/c that you can log into. [not the forums], the one you purchase airports through.

If so, if you log in, and click on an airport you know you purchased, does it say, "You already own this airport"? 

T45

Edited by Treetops45

I already on everything Orbx.  Orbx Central confirms that.

Under FTX Central I did not need Global Base Pack, Global Vector or any of the Open Land Classes if I was only going to fly in an FTX area.  I didn't need them under FTX Central.

Question...is there any way I can get FTX Central back?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

HALLALUJAH!  Dumped the super model and my wife of 57 years took me back!

I uninstalled Orbx Central and found and reinstalled FTX Central 3.  Installed the Library and Northern California and am once again the happy camper I was before I met Orbx Central.  Who said you can't go home again?

Now I've got a couple of weeks of scenery re-installation to do.  But no worries since I've got back what I thought I might have lost.

Noel 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, birdguy said:

HALLALUJAH!  Dumped the super model and my wife of 57 years took me back!

I uninstalled Orbx Central and found and reinstalled FTX Central 3.  Installed the Library and Northern California and am once again the happy camper I was before I met Orbx Central.  Who said you can't go home again?

Now I've got a couple of weeks of scenery re-installation to do.  But no worries since I've got back what I thought I might have lost.

Noel 

Hooray........good on ya Noel.............

PS: Next time forget the ibuprofin and go straight to the Jack Daniels.....

Edited by W2DR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Yeeaaahhhhh....I think I'm just going to stick with what I have now and ignore this new UI.  My install of P3D is running great, and if it ain't broke then don't fix it.  Better save my install file for FTX Central 3 to a backup drive too while I'm at it.

5 hours ago, JNS said:

with plans to also install P3Dv4 on new drive and repurchase the ORBX scenery with the latest FTX Central.

Jeff - You don't need to repurchase the ORBX scenery for v4.5. What you have works just fine. FTXCentral will do the install and put everything in the right place.........Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Update #2. I'm now with you Noel. I migrated everything using ORBX Central (P3Dv4.5) and it didn't go well. I'm now back to FTXCentral 3 and I'm a happy camper again............Doug

I'm reading about a lot of issues with the new ORBX installer on several forums.  Didn't they do beta testing for it first?  Seems like it needed a bit more time in the oven to rise first...