birdguy

The new FTX Central wiped me out...

This morning I installed the new FTX Central from Orbx and it wiped me out.  All I have left is a virgin P3Dv3 installation.  I had every FTX-P3d scenery I had collected over the years and now they are all gone.  Nothing Orbx or addon is left in my scenery library even though the new FTX Central says I have everything installed.  All my custom keyboard and Saitek keys and controls wiped out.

I don't think I have the energy or will to start all over again from scratch.  I'm going to have to find a life beyond flight simming.

Noel 

• Like 1

Silly question. Did you do a search of your recycle bin, and your storage to see if the files names have changed by a character?

I've had this happen in the past but not with Orbx. I would first do the search then I would contact Orbx.

I wish you luck in recovering your lost software.

The system works by moving your files to a new location and creating virtual links from there to the sim..... Did you assign a new location for your files, and have you checked there?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Noel.....I know the issues with the ORBX forums so I left  post there with a plea for help and linked it to you your post here. It will probably get deleted but maybe someone will respond before that happens................Doug

• Like 3

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

This morning I installed the new FTX Central from Orbx and it wiped me out.  All I have left is a virgin P3Dv3 installation.  I had every FTX-P3d scenery I had collected over the years and now they are all gone.  Nothing Orbx or addon is left in my scenery library even though the new FTX Central says I have everything installed.  All my custom keyboard and Saitek keys and controls wiped out.

I don't think I have the energy or will to start all over again from scratch.  I'm going to have to find a life beyond flight simming.

Noel 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QqebVX8fUFdFtOOEMR1ZULkhhieenQHNopfNY-5_K0Y/edit

Cheers

John

Well Noel, I tried. The post at ORBX lasted a whole 14 minutes before the link to here was removed and the topic locked. I wish I could help but I really don't understand the new ORBX Central. I tried the beta version a while back but it was so confusing I just deleted it and went back to the older version. I guess I'm just to old for this stuff...................Doug

• Like 1

Well, the files are not in my recycle bin.  Every other FTX Central was turnkey.  I supposed this one would be also.

I'm persona non grata at Orbx.  Have been for a couple of years or more now.  I can only use the trademan's entrance (limited user's forum).  I don't suppose anything with my name on it would last more than a few miliseconds on the (word not be used) forum.

My scenery library is wiped out as far as Orbx and any of my addons are concerned.  I doubt there is an easy fix to this, but I could be wrong.  I'm just not computer or flightsim savvy enough to know how to do it short of starting all over again from scratch.  And I'm just not up t doing that all over again.

I'd go back to FTX Central 3 but it's gone.

Nick has usually been good about helping me out on the persona non grata forum.  But I don't think this is an easy fix.

Really bummed out about this.  I had so much time and money invested in P3D and Orbx...especially Orbx.  Close to 4K dollars in scenery.  I always among the first to get the new stuff for FSX and later P3D.  But this one really bit me in the (word not to be used).

Noel

• Like 1

I downloaded it ok from a link in the Orbx Forum notification.

It basically installed itself with some prompting questions.

orbx.to/central

Did you use that link?

Also, their instructions are confusing.

If you are running Windows you need to hit the "Download Windows" button. 

It asked some questions about locating backups /files. Did you change any of the locations that it suggested?

Did you get the question about ditching FTX Central & say Yes?

Good luck

T45

• Like 1

I just hit the download windows button and let nature take it's course.  I didn't notice any questions.  It ditched FTX Central by itself.

My Orbx sceneries are in P3D but how do I get them all into my scenery library?  

They all show as installed in Orbx Central.  I deleted Northern California and then reinstalled it but it still didn't get into the scenery library.

Noel

I just uninstalled P3D and Orbx from my system.  Nick at Orbx offered to help but I told him I'm 85 years old and my mind isn't as sharp and technically oriented as it used to be and things just get more and more complicated especially with P3D and Orbx.

Maybe I'll try Aerofly since John said it works without tweaking out of the box.  That's what I need.  Something simple and less complicated.

Noel

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I just hit the download windows button and let nature take it's course.  I didn't notice any questions.  It ditched FTX Central by itself.

My Orbx sceneries are in P3D but how do I get them all into my scenery library?  

They all show as installed in Orbx Central.  I deleted Northern California and then reinstalled it but it still didn't get into the scenery library.

Noel

This is likely too late.. since you have wiped P3D... but the whole concept of the new FTX Central is that the Orbx sceneries are no longer in your scenery library.. :unsure:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Posted (edited)

It should be pointed out that Orbx Central will work with a P3D v3 or 4 installation made by FTX Central

without any changes to the installation at all.

Changes have to be instigated, either by "migrating" the products to a new library or by installing

a product that was not already installed.

In that case, the product is indeed installed outside the root folder and added to the add-ons catalogue (add-ons.cfg) instead

of the scenery library (scenery.cfg).

Otherwise, simply using Orbx Central makes no changes at all to the scenery library or the addons library.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

It seems that they were no longer anywhere.  After deleting and reinstalling Northern California I started P3Dv3 and selected an aircraft and an airport in northern California and only the stock P3D airport was there.  Same with KSFO and the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges.  Everything that used to be Orbx was gone. 

Noel

7 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

... but the whole concept of the new FTX Central is that the Orbx sceneries are no longer in your scenery library.. :unsure:

Where does it put them Bert?

I’m out of the country at the moment and away from my computer so haven’t come across the new FTX Central (perhaps luckily!) yet. Is there an option to stick with the previous version?

Bill

I'm going to install ORBX Central and migrate everything to a library. I'm trying to verify that, on my system, it works fine with no migration to a library (leave everything where it is) and then whether or not it works fine after the migration. I'll let you know what happens. I gotta believe the ORBX files are still somewhere on Noel's computer. Even when P3D is uninstalled the files are still there as the PD3 uninstaller only uninstall the P3D stuff not the add-ons. And if, in fact, they were migrated to a library somewhere they should still be there in that case also..........Doug

PS: I just did a full backup of my ORBX  "stuff"  (I own all the products) just in case..........

Posted (edited)

Hello Doug,

Noel says he had P3D v3, which does not involve any migrating of files.

With one or two minor exceptions, Orbx Central works with an FTX Central

installation without the need to change or migrate anything.

Unless you have a really good reason to empty your P3D v4 ORBX folder, it will be

a huge amount of time spent on something that does not need to be done.

Your choice of course.

Edited by Reader

Good catch.....I totally missed the v3 part. Makes my point moot. But, I'm still going to migrate everything to a library on another drive as my current P3D drive is a little short of space...............Doug

Doing a search like, for instance, *!FTX*.bgl with the Windows Explorer should show where the OrbX sceneries are. It is indeed most probable that they are still in the computer  after the deletion of P3D.

I searched both my C and D drives for !FTX*.bgl and came up empty.

Noel

Well, this is an unfortunate head scratcher.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions, we will see if we can navigate through this.

1st, do you still have an Orbx A/c that you can log into. [not the forums], the one you purchase airports through.

If so, if you log in, and click on an airport you know you purchased, does it say, "You already own this airport"? 

Secondly, do you have on your 'home' screen, ie, the screen your PC opens up at when you start it - do you have anywhere there an icon, [a small box with words about size of a postage stamp],  for Orbx Central?

T45

21 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I searched both my C and D drives for !FTX*.bgl and came up empty.

Noel

Search for FTX*

No ! and no bgl

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

I'm going to install ORBX Central and migrate everything to a library. I'm trying to verify that, on my system, it works fine with no migration to a library (leave everything where it is) and then whether or not it works fine after the migration. I'll let you know what happens. I gotta believe the ORBX files are still somewhere on Noel's computer. Even when P3D is uninstalled the files are still there as the PD3 uninstaller only uninstall the P3D stuff not the add-ons. And if, in fact, they were migrated to a library somewhere they should still be there in that case also..........Doug

PS: I just did a full backup of my ORBX  "stuff"  (I own all the products) just in case..........

First update. After installing ORBX Central everything was fine. Since I own everything I couldn't install anything new but I was able to uninstall/reinstall successfully. I'm now in the process of migrating everything to a library folder. And I gotta tell ya.....this is worse than watching paint dry. It's going to take hours and hours to do this. What's so hard about moving files to a new location? If it doesn't speed up a bit I'm afraid my whiskey bottle will run dry...................

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Computers don't mind grinding files during your sleep, they don't need sleep themselves 😏 !  I remember long ago there was a program to make sceneries à la OrbX with the USGS data. I downloaded the raw data in my 486 (it is that old) before going to bed and the computer had a scenery ready for me in the morning. No strong spirit needed. A night cap maybe only.

48 minutes ago, W2DR said:

And I gotta tell ya.....this is worse than watching paint dry. It's going to take hours and hours to do this.

Yup, but the upside is once done, you will be able to enable/disable add/delete stuff on the fly in a heartbeat