Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

PMDG and MSFS2020

8 minutes ago, Reader said:

Perhaps it's back after the event since we actually know things now. One of the administrators said no more discussion of MSFS in a thread. That was a few months ago.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 2

Let’s see how committed PMDG are to bringing heavies into MSFS when it won’t even have ATC...?

At least they wouldn’t have to model the AC radio transponder for coms for all the airports!  They could just put a picture of Mickey Mouse over the transponder!  Lol

On a more serious note nobody even knows yet if radio com frequencies will be in this sim and it’s quite possible they won’t if there’s nobody on the other end to talk with...  Which could be a big problem for VATsim users (but hey we’re getting VR!)

I just don’t see PMDG wasting the considerable time and effort to develop a study level heavy for this if they know they might have to go back and completely add working coms to the AC based on what MS may do regarding A/A A/G communications...  PMDG just doesn’t operate that way...

Either way I see it being several years post release before a PMDG AC may show up...  Look at XP11 and PMDG for instance.  If you look at their future development cycle it’s easy to see which sim they are “all-in” for the foreseeable future!

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

If Simmers on mass adopt MSFS 2020 at the expense of Prepar3D, I'd be willing to guess that it will be curtains for scenery developers (maybe not Airports) because from what I've seem it appears that the default scenery in MSFS 2020 leaves the very best addon scenery available for P3D and FSX in the half-penny place. For example have you seen the fly over of central park and NYC? It blows DD NYC X out of the water! Same for ORBX scenery. And we will also be saying good-bye to REX, HiFi, EZCA, Etc. Etc. Etc!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Let’s see how committed PMDG are to bringing heavies into MSFS when it won’t even have ATC...?

I think it WILL have ATC, only it will be the legacy FSX one.

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

It's pure speculation thinking it won't have ATC. What has been shown so far is a pre alpha, we are not even at closed alpha yet. And MSFS series always had ATCs com'on. Do you really think a game which was developed for years and is coming now with so many nice features will actually miss ATC? There is no logical reason to back up such way of thinking. It makes no sense at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

3 hours ago, france89 said:

It's pure speculation thinking it won't have ATC. What has been shown so far is a pre alpha, we are not even at closed alpha yet. And MSFS series always had ATCs com'on. Do you really think a game which was developed for years and is coming now with so many nice features will actually miss ATC? There is no logical reason to back up such way of thinking. It makes no sense at all. 

The devs have stated it does not have ATC and they were not sure yet how to go about implementing it.  They also said it was difficult to do right and would not be in the initial release but may be added later.  It is also not a priority for them as they are adding VR due to numerous requests...

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

The devs have stated it does not have ATC and they were not sure yet how to go about implementing it.  They also said it was difficult to do right and would not be in the initial release but may be added later.  It is also not a priority for them as they are adding VR due to numerous requests...

Could you point out where they've said that?

Right now, as I understood, features are being tested/added to the sim everyday. The ATC isn't implemented yet (they said), but they never said it's 100% out of the initial release. No feature is 100% out of the v1.0. 

Which they said was they would set priorities. If 99% of the customers ask for an ATC, they would make it.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

2 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Could you point out where they've said that?

Right now, as I understood, features are being tested/added to the sim everyday. The ATC isn't implemented yet (they said), but they never said it's 100% out of the initial release. No feature is 100% out of the v1.0. 

Which they said was they would set priorities. If 99% of the customers ask for an ATC, they would make it.

It was said during a recent interview which I will search for...

Right now it appears that they have VR at the top of the to be added release priority list because more customers are asking for it than ATC, with seasons apparently coming in second.

You are right that no feature is 100% out for the release but from what was said ATC implementation is not something they have figured out yet and quite possibly won’t be in the initial release.  They did also say the ATC is difficult to implement correctly and do well and it was something they were looking at but have not made a firm commitment to.

The fear I have is if ATC isn’t written into the code initially we might get a post release half baked version ala XP11.  FSX/P3D has proved ATC is arguably the hardest 3rd party addon to develop for and every ATC addon since has had issues one way or another either with AI Traffic management or vectoring for GA and Commercial flying and the use of sids/stars...

All I know is PMDG is following the development of this sim closely and looking hard at it from a future business standpoint.  If MS is more interested in adding VR at release than functional ATC my guess is that PMDG will wait and see if MSFS2020 turns out more like MS Flight with Xbox compatibility and pretty graphics or more of a hardcore flight sim with potential for future growth.  I really don’t see PMDG rushing to release any study level heavy ac when you sit at the gate and can’t even ask the tower for permission to taxi and take off...

Chris Camp

16 hours ago, bonchie said:

and PMDG is bashing it.

I haven't seen PMDG bash it. I've seen some users on their forum making dour predictions (and just as many if not more telling them to stop being so cynical), but I haven't seen staff say... Well, anything about it at all.  Point us to where they did?

FSElite video interview 3 they will leave the ultra detail aircraft to third party`s and airports.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, eslader said:

I haven't seen PMDG bash it. I've seen some users on their forum making dour predictions (and just as many if not more telling them to stop being so cynical), but I haven't seen staff say... Well, anything about it at all.  Point us to where they did?

I'm not going to go through the trouble. The head of PMDG commented very early on and it was not complimentary at all. You can find it. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eslader said:

@bonchie allow me 🙂 https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/14257-12jun19-pmdg-and-the-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-question

Until these areas are clarified by Microsoft, we simply won't be able to evaluate positively or negatively and thus we will refrain from making any decisions at this time.

Here is my personal opinion:
All of us would love to see a new, modern technology platform that remains open-world to developers like PMDG, but it is highly unlikely (given recent history) that this will happen. I will not be surprised to see this title marketed more toward the game community based upon my historic conversations with Microsoft as they tried to find ways to expand their customer base. I will also not be surprised to find that Microsoft has it's eyes set firmly on raiding the space in which many of your favorite expansions exist: Aircraft, scenery, airports and apps. They are not entering this business sector out of altruism, they are here for profit margins, and the market history in the past has shown again and again that those margins exist in the relationship between the after-market developers and the end user.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

To be fair, that was shortly after they released the trailer well before they actually started engaging the community and the devs. They took a cautious approach seeing what MSFT did with flight, etc. With all the new info that has come out, and the change of hearts from those most critical (froogle), I think it's probably safe to say PMDG is a bit more open than they previously were.

Edit: Also to be fair about ATC, PMDG also realizes that many people fly on online servers such as VATSIM, PE, etc, so it's not like the radio feature is completely useless.

Edited by Kevin_28
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

I'll add myself to the list of people who want the source of what you are talking about, because i might not remember or have missed it.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."