Sign in to follow this  
charleslee201

Is Microsoft flight simulator another FLIGHT ?

5 minutes ago, bonchie said:

The fact that you've hacked up your FLIGHT install and garnered some extra features is not an argument or a way forward for the flight simulator community. Further, what's the point? P3D looks just as good as FLIGHT and has several more modern graphical features. I'm glad you enjoy FLIGHT, but come on. 

As to the "what we've heard" stuff, I guess all those content creators who admitted they were ready to trash MSFS until they tried it could be lying, but they've all played it hands on and confirm those points.

"The fact that you've hacked up your FLIGHT install and garnered some extra features is not an argument or a way forward for the flight simulator community. Further, what's the point? P3D looks just as good as FLIGHT and has several more modern graphical features."

And of course with FSX, P3D, or what ever, are all left pure stock no mods. Your funny.

How did P3D get pulled into this, I don't have P3D and never will and have no idea what it looks like! :ohmy:

57 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

"The fact that you've hacked up your FLIGHT install and garnered some extra features is not an argument or a way forward for the flight simulator community. Further, what's the point? P3D looks just as good as FLIGHT and has several more modern graphical features."

And of course with FSX, P3D, or what ever, are all left pure stock no mods. Your funny.

How did P3D get pulled into this, I don't have P3D and never will and have no idea what it looks like! :ohmy:

There's a big difference between 3rd party add-ons with installers and the hacks people are using in FLIGHT to get the whole world, etc. I'm glad it's your thing, but it's simply not comparable to MSFS or even P3D. 

Edited by bonchie

11 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

one of the games they made was FUEL the video game, a huge open world, they know how to build large worlds 🙂

11 hours ago, Noooch said:

A great engine which fits perfectly for the new simulator, maybe the best out there 🙂

Thanks to you both for the enlightenment.

I didn't know, that they have developed the engine. Interesting... good times ahead, I believe... (Yes, I know - I was very skeptical at first - but these preview videos and all the new info has 'swung' me around! 🙂 )

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Asobo have a bit of a reputation for impressive engines and visuals in the broader gaming scene, perhaps slightly less good at the narrative and game structure bit (so perfect for flight sims :)). I’ve only played the plague game though and I really enjoyed it, apart from a wild difficulty spike about 3/4s through the game that made me stop playing it for a few weeks. 

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

I hope they still use .bgl files 😂.....

I said that too, it would be a nice nod to previous versions, and the creator.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

3 hours ago, bonchie said:

FLIGHT is simply not a large leap graphically (or even a leap at all in many respects) over what we have in P3D, never mind all the other missing features. 

Compared to what we've seen so far, Flight will be nowhere near as good as the new sim.  But P3D graphics are mostly the same as FSX, and Flight blew it out of the water.

• Like 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

I don't think that will be the case. From what MS and Asobo have shown and said so far this is a complete game changer.

Rich Holding

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Compared to what we've seen so far, Flight will be nowhere near as good as the new sim.  But P3D graphics are mostly the same as FSX, and Flight blew it out of the water.

People see different things I guess. Flight looked like a shinier FSX to me. Same low res ground textures, same lack of dynamic lighting, same texture system.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I said that too, it would be a nice nod to previous versions, and the creator.

Indeed. Bruce needs to be remembered. They need to include at least one file as a tribute to him....

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

4 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Thanks to you both for the enlightenment.

I didn't know, that they have developed the engine. Interesting... good times ahead, I believe... (Yes, I know - I was very skeptical at first - but these preview videos and all the new info has 'swung' me around! 🙂 )

Just an extra tidbit - when it was released, FUEL had the single biggest playable world on the PlayStation 3 (and i think it still is the biggest playable map on console with its 14400km2), all with great performance and afaik the only loading screens were to enter/exit races. It was a big technological achievement.

So these guys definitely know what they're doing!

• Like 1

If you're wondering if this is another Flight, there are tons of videos out there now that show it's not. If you're interested in this product and flight-simming in general, check them out.

2 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

If you're wondering if this is another Flight, there are tons of videos out there now that show it's not. If you're interested in this product and flight-simming in general, check them out.

I don't think it will be like FLIGHT but rather XPlane with a subscription fee and similar rules like FLIGHT was for add-on developers. I can't see MS freely letting third party developers produce on top of their content ever again, they're going to want their cut.  It'll have great graphics (no add-ons required) and better flight dynamics from what we can see now.  Outside of that everything else (ATC, AI, Season, etc) is down the road if that even happens much the same way FLIGHT was.  I believe that's more of the comparison some are referencing.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Yes, FS2020 is an updated FLIGHT according to MS. There will be some new A/C and a new sky- and water color.

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

I don't think it will be like FLIGHT but rather XPlane with a subscription fee and similar rules like FLIGHT was for add-on developers. I can't see MS freely letting third party developers produce on top of their content ever again, they're going to want their cut.  It'll have great graphics (no add-ons required) and better flight dynamics from what we can see now.  Outside of that everything else (ATC, AI, Season, etc) is down the road if that even happens much the same way FLIGHT was.  I believe that's more of the comparison some are referencing.

An official marketplace has been all but confirmed, but it will probably contain add-ons by third-parties they have partnered with. There is no indication that external add-ons will be blocked however.

31 minutes ago, Wennerholm said:

Yes, FS2020 is an updated FLIGHT according to MS. There will be some new A/C and a new sky- and water color.

Actually they've been very careful not to mention Microsoft Flight at all. They've made it clear that they're building on the engine and foundation of Flight Simulator X.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wennerholm said:

They didn't say it's an updated Flight, all they said is that they were given the code changes done to the engine by the Flight team.

It's built off of FSX.

Edited by Tuskin38