Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

Just now, cepact said:

I'm free to not buy it and I'm also free to express my opinion, that doesn't make me "entitled".

It does actually; it makes you entitled to your opinion. 🙂

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Boomer said:

They ARE over-priced.  And Porches are junk.

And that's a fundamental misunderstanding about how capitalism works. If it doesn't sell well, it's overpriced. If it sells well, you know, like Lexus and Porsche, then it's not. Just because you can't or don't want to afford it doesn't mean that it's improperly priced.

If PMDG's stuff doesn't sell well in MSFS they'll lower the price and then you'll know you were right and they were overpriced. If they don't lower the prices and stay in business then you'll know you were wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If this is the new pricing structure they want then they should start scaling their products to better meet the specific needs of the user...i.e., they should offer a "light" or scaled down version that has a more simplistic FMC as an example since most users don't need an fmc with 100 pages of data for their flights and then perhaps 2k textures instead of 4k or whatever, no px cabin, etc. Bam! $65.

If you are a hardcore airliner flyer who only fly's the big jets, and you fly them full time throughout the year then there's good value to be found at the higher pricing if what you're interested in is having 90% of your fmc and  flight systems functional as compared to real life. But if you are like me and mostly fly GA, but would still like to have a great flying and sounding 737 from PMDG sitting in your hangar for maybe 20 hours per year of flying then it' no longer has much value as compared to other planes which I put alot more time into. So for me, even at $100 they've priced themselves out of my market since my own priority is situated within GA.

Now, if PMDG would get into the private small jet market, that would provide alot more value than an airliner for someone like myself and would be a more reasonable value at $100. Simply because I'd end up putting alot more time into something like a Cessna Mustang (or the like) than an airliner.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 2

There are lots of supposed "prestigious" brands out there that are overpriced and sell off the back of their name. Doesnt mean that the quality can't be replicated for better value. Dyson vacuums for example where you pay an extortionate amount for a mediocre, gimmicky product but usually find better quality for half the price elsewhere.

We'll see how this pans out.. free market etc. But hopefully other developers step up and create some competition so PMDG dont think they have a monopoly on the market.

I guess I am just surprised they didn't drop back down to entertainment level.  If they sell on the MS marketplace they'd probably do a lot better with sales volume at far lower prices.  I like how Orbx is doing their pricing.....it may even seem high for a new comer to the series to see a small airport for 20 bucks.  I understand these devs have livelihoods but consider slashing prices to attract maybe millions of customers....  (assuming MSFS will sell millions).  I'm editing this because I don't mean to say PMDG will sell a million copies LOL....

But it's advertisement.... on the MS Marketplace the visibility is likely going to be much higher than at their own site.  And if they price accordingly, they could net more profit assuming more buyers.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

It does actually; it makes you entitled to your opinion. 🙂

And ? Just like you and anyone else, nobody is talking about entitlement relative to opinions here.

When people call us "entitled" because we complain about the price they are meaning we feel entitled to receive the product cheaper. Calling someone "entitled" because they express the opinion that the product is expensive is nothing more than an insult.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hangar said:

If this is the new pricing structure they want then they should start scaling their products to better meet the specific needs of the user...i.e., they should offer a "light" or scaled down version that has a more simplistic FMC as an example since most users don't need an fmc with 100 pages of data for their flights and then perhaps 2k textures instead of 4k or whatever, no px cabin, etc. Bam! $65

So you want them to invest more development time to re-design half the plane to make it easier to use, and then charge less for the result? They still have to pay their people to do the work, which they've already paid for in the full version. The economics of that simply would not work.

Bottom line, folks, is that if it costs more than it's worth to you, that's fine. Don't buy it. That'll send a message. If enough of you send a message, maybe they'll lower their prices. Else, fly cheaper stuff that's of better value to you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If I were PMDG I would abandon any discussion of justification for their price and simply market myself as a “lifestyle” brand. I mean if Cirrus aircraft can use that strategy to successfully sell 4-seat, single engine, fixed gear planes for $1M.

C’mon PMDG, DM me if you want to explore that concept. My wife is a rockstar marketing professional. Let’s make this happen! 😆

• Like 2

Chris

19 minutes ago, eslader said:

So you want them to invest more development time to re-design half the plane to make it easier to use, and then charge less for the result? They still have to pay their people to do the work, which they've already paid for in the full version. The economics of that simply would not work.

Heh, thats not the way it works...ever hear of Alabeo? (same premis)....and nope, I don't WANT them do to do anything that wouldn't let them gain in profits since that wouldn't' make sense for them. If you read the rest of my post, however, there will now be a market that they have likely priced themselves out of...especially if there will be a lot of new comers injected from the new sim who are either beginners or GA only flyers and so PMDG might do themselves a favor by adding a new optional alternative for those users in my camp.

If it didn't pay, then you wouldn't see others such as Alabeo (and others for XP) doing this.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hangar said:

.ever hear of Alabeo? (same premis)

So a flash-n-trash cheap addon brand decides to create a division as another flash-n-trash cheap addon brand and you think that's the equivalent of PMDG making "QOTS - Carenado Edition?"

C'mon man, you've gotta make sense if you want people to take your arguments seriously.

I am not arguing and I have no personal agenda with this subject matter. I am merely stating my opinion and offering ideas for thought and discussion. You seem to be agitated by that.

Personally, it makes no difference to me if I have a 737 since I spent 20 years flying them and have mostly grown tired of it.

You may not like my idea and that's just fine. others would disagree, however.

BTW - that flash-n-trash brand is not meant for your market....your market is the hardcore "gotta have it all at any price" market (which I fully admit is my own market as well, just not for 121 airliners is all). They offer a good value for beginners and those who dont care about systems and perfection. They are also the largest company doing this and likely generate the most revenue as well. They are profiting better than most in their industry.

I'm not saying that PMDG should lower the quality of their work...im saying PMDG should provide the same high quality physics and sounds but less of the over-the-top options that many people don't need, as an alternative. BIG difference there.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Has anyone got some sort of Time-Matter-Travel Device thing. . .

to the 18th?

PMDG are already working on it. It will cost 3 trillion spondadollarecents and will be available in the year 2947.

Ah, slight problem with that marketing plan, I think...🤔

But great value for money!😄

39 minutes ago, cepact said:

And ? Just like you and anyone else, nobody is talking about entitlement relative to opinions here.

When people call us "entitled" because we complain about the price they are meaning we feel entitled to receive the product cheaper. Calling someone "entitled" because they express the opinion that the product is expensive is nothing more than an insult.

I'm pretty sure Chock was just making a light-hearted comment in your favour, not a negative one.😉

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

As someone stated.. Thats capitalism.. The market defines overpriced.  If they charged $1000 as someone mentioned earlier, some one WOULD buy it.. but they would sell too few units and ultimately would not recoup their costs and go out of business.  And thats the point, not to lose money and even better make some.  At current pricing, they are selling enough units to have a successful business ... and they wouldnt be able to do that if they are  just selling copies to people with alot of discretionary funds so the decision is very easy, they need to also selling to people to which parting with  $99 is a harder decision but the individual feels it is worth it.

So, assuming they have put what they feel is $99 worth of resources into the plane (the p3d price).. Randazzo says that the systems have to be recoded for MFS.. Asobo confirmed this in their interview with avsim that anything but basic planes will need their code re-written. So selling it for $99 means they re-code/adjust flight model/ test  ..etc it for free. Why would they do that. Businesses dont work (or stay in business) that way.  Now if they really felt that they could make it up in units maybe they could lower the $140 or whatever starting point back closer to $99 again) that would be awesome. But the logic of charging more makes sense.  Of course most people that think paying over $100 for a plane  is too much  also  think $99 is too much so there's that.

There are people that will never spend more on a plane than the sim and thats OK.. I didnt think i ever would until i did. And I have a service job. PMDG (or really any company inside or outside of simming) doesnt need everyone to buy their product.. they just need enough people to buy it to keep the lights on. 

• Like 2

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

After all, it´s the the customers who make the decision. For some 140 is not too much, for others it is. If MSFS itself would cost 500, they still had some customers, not as much as now, but some. I might have gone to PMDG but now it is highly unlikely. PMDG will live without my money and I will send my money to another directions.