Sign in to follow this  
YCT

Outdated Bing Maps Data

Not that it pertains to anything we will be going to see in MSFS but here is the Voyager layer of Google Earth where you can see ALL areas world wide which have photogrammetry/3D models within Googles aerial imagery.

If someone can find a similar layer for Bing, we can compare expectations.

https://earth.google.com/web/@44.25176587,33.54923213,-2209.44706472a,9453355.8648634d,35y,0h,0t,0r/data=CjkSNxIgZDY1OGRjYWIzNjlhMTFlOGFjNmU2OWJjN2I2ZDI2Y2EiE2xheWVyXzNkY292ZXJfcGFuZWw

Just for reference to "remote" places: At a quick glance for example Africa only has very few spots. Some in Tunisia and South Africa. 

Edited by Farlis

In their IGN interview devs said  around 6:60 that Being is making new photogrammetry cities and as soon as they are made they will be added to the sim so it is in constant evolution. I guess that applies for new satellite data as well.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

17 hours ago, Farlis said:

Greece has a relatively new law implemented that requires photo imagery of greek airports to be blurred out. If you compare the imagery of Google maps to that of Bing you will find that Google does indeed blur out the higher resolution, so zooming will only give you so much detail, whereas the Bing data is not blurred.

I believe Europe implemented many strict laws related to data privacy and protection. Perhaps this could be related to these laws.

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

I don't think it is wise to come to conclusions by jumping on bing maps. We do not know exactly what Asobo has access to and how updated it is. All I know is they said VFR everywhere.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

I don't think it is wise to come to conclusions by jumping on bing maps. We do not know exactly what Asobo has access to and how updated it is. All I know is they said VFR everywhere.

You think one small dev project has some kind of special internal access to Bing data that MS wouldn't just include in the absolutely massive ad revenue generator potential that is Bing and Bing Maps? I would be enormously surprised if the MSFS platform was ahead of Bing Maps. In fact, everything they say indicates the opposite. When Bing gets updated, MSFS gets the data. And it would certainly make zero sense to include data that hasn't been scrubbed, and if it's been scrubbed MS has no reason not to migrate the data to the public set.

Every satellite and maps data provider has their good areas and bad areas. MSFS, backed by Bing data, will be no different. VFR everywhere != up-to-the-minute world accuracy.

-Matt N

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

They maybe use LiDAR files too, you can get LiDAR files for a whole state/country,

it is too expensive for a Hobby project, but states startet to give the informations for free now (in germany at least).

People trying to get LiDAR files especialy for realistic race track creation. Landscapes with LiDAR gives you exsact height information for each House/Bridge/Tree/Ground.

This could be used in combination with satellite photos.

What i find interessting is the Ai must do a good job erasing the backed in shadows in the satellite photos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

You think one small dev project has some kind of special internal access to Bing data that MS wouldn't just include in the absolutely massive ad revenue generator potential that is Bing and Bing Maps? I would be enormously surprised if the MSFS platform was ahead of Bing Maps. In fact, everything they say indicates the opposite. When Bing gets updated, MSFS gets the data. And it would certainly make zero sense to include data that hasn't been scrubbed, and if it's been scrubbed MS has no reason not to migrate the data to the public set.

You're speculating, I'm not. I just said we should not come to conclusions based on what Bing maps is showing us. You really don't know what they have access to.

7 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

What i find interessting is the Ai must do a good job erasing the backed in shadows in the satellite photos.

Yup and we've seen evidence of it starting to clean up clouds as well. There are places that still have clouds on maps but they're not there in the sim. Earlier builds did have clouds.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 11/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, YCT said:

Hello, I have great worry that my homecity (Bursa, Turkey) do not have up to date bing map data despite google maps, apple maps and yandex maps having up to date data. Bing maps shows my homecity from like a decade old like form 2009-2010. After this discovery, I looked my country's bing map data and It is very out dated. Even new Istanbul Airport does not exsist. What will happen for these areas, do you guys also discover that your hometown do not have recent map data?

It could be a lot worse.  It could be landclass scenery.   Oh, wait...

Maybe this could be third party niche scenery

Edited by ErichB

I started with flight simulation in 1991 MSFS V3 and again, being a scenery developer since MSFS98 and now for X-Plane 11, I am very puzzled and amazed to see at this stage, the level of bizarre accuracy we are starting to ask for, in a simulator that, for the first time, seems to give users access to the whole world in terms of aerial imagery. Not mentioning the high tech AI driven procedural 3D that is not based on data that is open source with a mixed bag in terms of quality and coverage... 

This means simply that for the first time, people who care about real VFR, Bush Flying and Helicopter operations will be in heaven.

In other words, this looks and sounds like the most accurate VFR, Bush Flying and Helicopter experience one can get for this planet in an entertainment title that most probably costs the price of a video game or almost?

Will it be 100% accurate for training purposes? No and no other sim today is... But if you need extra / up to date accuracy, you enhance or create your own area as an add-on.

Aerial imagery is a carpet underneath procedural infrastructure and vegetation. It gives the illusion of realism but it has a lot hapening over it... So being 10 years old in entertainment title is a joke...

I did my scenery with a 10 years old aerial image given to us for free and when all the infrastructure are placed over it, the illusion works brilliantly...

Also, many users generate Photoreal (Orhtophoto) tiles for X-Plane 11 using a 3rd party tool called Ortho4XP and no need to say how many hours and hard drives you need in order to generate and stock your scenery for a continent (forget about the whole world) and all that from different Orhto sources when available, while clouds are all over the place. And then we need to create 3D overlays for these Orhtos if OSM data is available for the area... Usually interesting OSM data is available for industrial countries only...

Or, we need to wait for talented groups like OrbX (with impressive budgets) to create their realistic packages for every continent on the planet and of course, we must buy and isntall each of these... $$$$... Yet the superb scenery of OrbX is not yet the size of continents but rather covers areas as big as a state in the US... At this rate, we need to wait a lot to have a real VFR platform for the world don't we... With a serious budget...

Now, again, as a scenery developer who has no budget to license expensive imagery for my freeware projects, I see this simulator as a savior. It's featuring, out of the box, the world as Orhtophoto + Procedural 3D based on AI and not OSM! All I can do then is improve as the basics are there...

So I can't get the idea that generic texture scenery in actual simulators is a better deal than a variation of 5 to 10 years old ortho for the planet....  😳

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

22 hours ago, Farlis said:

Indeed. I don't understand what is going on there. 

Well...I can take a few guesses.

Not every place in the world allows certain things.  Of course, that's a public airport so I don't know what is going on with that particular spot, unless their govt is not allowing it for some reason.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

7 hours ago, Claviateur said:

I believe Europe implemented many strict laws related to data privacy and protection. Perhaps this could be related to these laws.

Nope. It's just a greek thing.

6 hours ago, ArchStanton said:

Censorship is obsolete.

It was obsolete from the get go.

I found an article about it that Bing blurred military areas within Germany. However:

"A spokesman for the Federal Ministry of Defense stated that the ministry had not requested Microsoft to pixel the data, and that the ministry did not pursue such matters anyway. If one is asked to do so, one would at best make an assessment as to whether a certain image is legally questionable. However, in this case this did not happen either."

[Source in german: https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Bing-verpixelt-Militaergebiete-1435160.html ]

So that means Bing hasn't touched or renewed their satellite data since 2012...

Edited by Farlis