Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

This forum is truly incredible...

It’s mesmerizing to watch some people *still*, always, find things to complain about after seemingly every single amazing detail or information piece Asobo releases.

Some of you truly need to get outside and talk a walk or something.  No offense intended, by my lord.. C’mon guys..

Edited by irrics
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, sanh said:

The visuals in fs2020 will come at a cost. LM have been optimising this same code for 6 years and look how well that runs?

I'll be continuing with X-Plane for sure and hoping Orbx will sprinkle some of there True Earth magic for the UK in MSFS.

Regarding performance though your comments are completely unfounded.

I don't think you can say MSFS looks will come at a performance cost as it's being developed from the ground up. I'm sure this sim will be scalable for PC's 3 or 4 years old and still look much better than what we have currently. 

It's actually more of an issue trying to get legacy sims looking like MSFS which will be what comes at a performance (and price) cost. I.e. adding xEnviro to X-Plane will kill frames and still look pretty poor in comparison as well as costing more than probably MSFS will be to buy. But that's ok because the people buying a product like xEnviro apart from youtubers probably have a kick word not allowed PC with 1000's of pay ware invested already, so that's completely fine.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rjfry said:

Not correct I asked for seasons check back to the first interview when the devs at seattle first test said it was not planed for release along with VR, and I am stunned that Asobo/Microsoft do not inform the community that they follow, but let the info come from outside sources and we have another 6-8 months of drip fed info. Also check JV ORBX he also stated MSFS would not have seasons and he is an INSIDER.

As I have said numerous times, they never said anything about release, just that it wasn’t in their current build. 

20 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

As I have said numerous times, they never said anything about release, just that it wasn’t in their current build. 

So your saying the devs are not being truthful in the interviews check the XO19 when the FSElite guy asked specifically about seasons and VR that are being asked for by the community not at present planed for release, all they would say we will look at it, then replay the interview in seattle on stage  on stools in front of the invited testers seasons not planed for the release version. 

If you insist I can re-post both videos but they are still in this forum if you care to check.

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

27 minutes ago, irrics said:

This forum is truly incredible...It’s mesmerizing to watch some people *still*, always, find things to complain about

It's been like that for decades in here. I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the information released and what is in store for us, but I'm also keeping my mouth shut and passing judgement in public forums until its released. Let  the alpha and beta testers do their jobs. Then I'll pass judgement on them after release. Lmao

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

I don't think you can say MSFS looks will come at a performance cost as it's being developed from the ground up.

I don't think this point can be stressed enough. In psychology there's a thing called "availability bias" where people make judgements based on information that is most "available" to them. This is a heuristic approach because it's quick and we instinctively want quick and effortless decisions (look up Daniel Kahneman "Thinking fast and slow"). What is most available turns out to be one's past experience and that's a reasonably good first approximation for many things. I suspect the comments of the type, "How can MSFS possibly do what it's claiming to do?", are grounded in this. Most (if not all?) previous Microsoft flightsims have been accretions on past software and their embodied design foundations. Even XP, though a break from this, will suffer from the legacy effect. Thus, many people's expectations of performance improvements will be predicated on this past experience instinct. What is needed is to fully grasp what is possible with a new foundation for the sim, new programming techniques, embracing current hardware potential, and not being limited by legacy. That includes the development team no longer being Aces or even Microsoft employees (though with direct access to Microsoft's DirectX experience, Bing/Azure, marketing and delivery, etc.) I'm not suggesting that it's a magic wand and the product will be out of this world, but it really does mean a step-change, not just an incremental change. Lastly, it looks like much of the impetus for the current development is experimentation and pushing the technology boundaries and I would hope that that spirit will prevent any top-dog complacency in the future if it does turn out that the competition disappears. I get the feeling that it's in the DNA of Asobo.

• Like 4

The video of NY with two seasonal represented and snow falling and building up on roads, trees and buildings is light years ahead of every other flight simulator by a factor of 10. 

A new era has dawned. 

• Like 3

Did you notice primary roads are "plowed" while secondary roads, are not? Nice touch

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Others have posted images that disprove your remarks above, but I have to ask, don't you have snowplows to clear the roads where you live? Note in this image the accumulation of snow on the roof tops. Also note the snow and ice covered sidewalks on the center boulevard:

EVEFj.png

We don't need it where I live.

In any case, you have misunderstood my comment or I have written it badly for sure.

It was a praise to the realism achieved. As others said, the snow/ice seems it's partially covering stuff, like real one some times.

Azure Power, 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Shug said:

Release date is sometime in the next 363 days. Am counting the days down!!

I know when I was a kid I used to count the days down to Christmas from about November, but this is ridiculous. MS you've made me young again, thanks.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Yes, the snow does look great but has anyone thought about the downside? What happens in real life when 10" (25cm) of snow is dumped on an airport overnight? Nothing moves until the snow ploughs have done their job.

Imagine if ground friction was affected and it wasn't possible for your aircraft to move. And how do you know where the taxiways and runways are if everything is white? Making it as real as it gets could bring a whole new set of problems we haven't considered. :wink:

Simple either just turn the weather off or to fair weather in the settings, or fly from somewhere warmer with no snow.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

14 minutes ago, eaim said:

Simple either just turn the weather off or to fair weather in the settings, or fly from somewhere warmer with no snow.

That isn't solving the problem, it's avoiding it. I'm sure everyone can work out how to avoid a snow-covered airport. Everyone wants snow until it becomes inconvenient. 😂

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

55 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That isn't solving the problem, it's avoiding it. I'm sure everyone can work out how to avoid a snow-covered airport. Everyone wants snow until it becomes inconvenient. 😂

Of Course they can.All I was trying to point out is if you want to just fly, the sim won't ever stop you from doing so. It just depends on how true to real life we want the outside world to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eaim said:

It just depends on how true to real life we want the outside world to be.

... knowing that it is a flight simulator and not a life simulator.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, eaim said:

Of Course they can.All I was trying to point out is if you want to just fly, the sim won't ever stop you from doing so. It just depends on how true to real life we want the outside world to be.

With respect old chap that was rather stating the bleeding obvious. I’m sure the minds at Microsoft are thinking about how to handle a snow-covered airport. I hope they don’t change runway and taxiway textures that prevent snow accumulating.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather