Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Let it snow! Official snow season in MSFS

6 minutes ago, domkle said:

... knowing that it is a flight simulator and not a life simulator.

You haven’t suggested a solution. How about a button that instantly melts all the snow! 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

As a resident of a city that sees its fair share of snow (Montreal), this video almost made me weep of joy!

• Like 2

Happy to be corrected but I don't believe that any trees were shown without leaves? After all many trees in the world are deciduous rather than evergreen. Not a complaint but an observation. Perhaps something that can be worked on after initial release as it would make both autumn and winter more realistic?

• Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

24 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You haven’t suggested a solution. How about a button that instantly melts all the snow! 😁

Or find a chopper

25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I will be more prosaic, borderline unimaginative.. We already have this kind of situation when entering the game in an airport which is in a thick fog. What do we do ? We sure don't blow the fog off.  We just move the clock backward or forward, one hour or one day. This is what I meant by it is not a life sim. The arrow of time is, how to say that, malleable ? 

More seriously, this is why I hope like many that the weather engine will have an historical record of at least few months.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

33 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I believe Dominique was inferring you have entered a level of detail which is drifting too far (sorry for the pun) from the core simulator and therefore may not be to everybody's taste. A bit like being made to put the seat belt on in a race game. 

• Like 3

I'm curious if there will also be hail showers!
Btw, the lone car at 35 sec in the lower right . . .

19 minutes ago, domkle said:

More seriously, this is why I hope like many that the weather engine will have an historical record of at least few months.

Yes, that's one of the many reasons why historical weather is essential. Would be a shame to be limited to one snapshot in time with that marvelous weather engine.

51 minutes ago, domkle said:

I will be more prosaic, borderline unimaginative.. We already have this kind of situation when entering the game in an airport which is in a thick fog. What do we do ? We sure don't blow the fog off.  We just move the clock backward or forward, one hour or one day. This is what I meant by it is not a life sim. The arrow of time is, how to say that, malleable ? 

In all honesty I cannot recall a time when I’ve tried to depart a fog-bound airport. But in such a scenario those of us running moving map software would be able to find our way to the runway. I did land at a pretty foggy Munich around a month ago and used full auto land.  It wasn’t a problem.

But when the ground is covered by snow of various depths and no taxiways or lines on the apron are visible that is a completely different problem. Would moving the time solve this problem? Maybe, maybe not.

33 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

I believe Dominique was inferring you have entered a level of detail which is drifting too far (sorry for the pun) from the core simulator and therefore may not be to everybody's taste. A bit like being made to put the seat belt on in a race game. 

Yes, point taken but this snow feature is a major change to flight sim we’ve never had before. I wasn’t trying to be mischievous, it’s a genuine question. I’d love to hear from Microsoft on how they will give the user the tools to clear the ground of snow. Accelerated clearance by multiple vehicles maybe? It has to appear realistic given what they’ve done so far.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Casualcas said:

Or find a chopper

As a snow blower? 😁

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, eaim said:

Now my next question is, with particle effects with clouds,  and rain, and now snow, can we expect to see this at lukla, or Telluride? 

joblow2.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

With respect old chap that was rather stating the bleeding obvious. I’m sure the minds at Microsoft are thinking about how to handle a snow-covered airport. I hope they don’t change runway and taxiway textures that prevent snow accumulating.

Er... less of the old Ray.😜 I'm only in my early 50's, and I don't want to feel any older than I am. Anyhow the grand job Asobo are doing regarding MSFS's visual's I might be too blown away with the graphics to fly. I might just sit in my virtual cockpit and marvel at the masterpiece at hand.

Edited by eaim
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.