Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

Corona virus - impact on the flight simulation market?

As a hardware manufacturer and a start up to boot, this has hit us hugely. We were held up at launch over Christmas and immediately afterwards were hit with Chinese closedown which affected electronics supply chains globally.

Tens of thousands invested in this start up venture and no way to sell anything as there are no control boards in the yokes. Not to mention months of rent, utilities bills, etc without any income to pay them.

During this delay we have been working on a solution so I think we will be able to find a way forward pretty soon and get things moving. There is no doubt it has cost me thousands to delay launch 4 months or so and my pockets have a bottom! I can certainly see some businesses folding over this crisis.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I am just hoping MSFS does not get cancelled. Now france is under lock down, I believe Asobo studios are there?

Edited by Bear242

While in China, the gaming industry just....booooooooom

Well, we just have to stay at home for month, so anthing else to do?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bear242 said:

I am just hoping MSFS does not get cancelled. Now france is under lock down, I believe Asobo studios are there?

seems highly unlikely that a software project get de,ayed, much less cancelled, when all these thing can be done remotely...

12 hours ago, edpatino said:

Apart from the developers that live in Italy, like FSDT guys for whom I desire the best of luck,

I know Umberto lives in Switzerland but not sure about the other guys who work for him, they may still be in Italy.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Flight simming is a relatively inexpensive hobby compared to others. Yes, you can spend $$$ on top of the range hardware but it is hardly compulsory. The plus point is you don't actually need to travel anywhere or engage with people face to face and it provides a little bit of escapism to the pressures of life. I don't see a massive downturn.

Ian S

38.jpg

7 hours ago, Bear242 said:

France is not under lockdown. Cinemas, theaters, restaurants, bars etc are closed and religious cults are not held. Schools are closed. Thats it. Otherwise, people circulate as they wish. 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think that in the short term, some people will suffer. But after the kung flu has run it's course, I suspect that we'll see a very robust economic recovery. 

I think a lot of companies are going to reassess their China manufacturing strategies and some portion will bring some or all of their manufacturing capabilities back home. Lots of new jobs.

As to flight simulation, I found out Friday that my team and I have been asked to work from home for the next 2 weeks. I have plenty of food in the house and I'm going to stay here as much as I practically can. I was hoping to pick up an airport or two on quarantine sale.

Edited by MDFlier
  • Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts here. 

I am self-employed in the film industry and many projects of the coming months are cancelled. 
I still have financial reserves for 5 months and don't know if the crisis will be over by then and the film industry will start up again?

Personally I am very hesitant to spend money, actually only for food and the running costs, such as rent, electricity, gas and health insurance.

Now I am at home a lot and flight simulation is a welcome "distraction". Recently a few new interesting airports came out, Kevlafik and Islamabad, which would interest me, but I am totally "on the brakes" to spend money on them.

Instead, common sense says: fly to the 100 airports you already have.  

I know the topic is not really important... but in the crisis we might "grow up" and set new priorities?

The interesting question is also whether we will have changed when the crisis is over, maybe in a year...?

Everybody stay healthy!

Erik 

As flight simming is a very small part of the gaming market, the effect of the Corona virus will be felt far more in the gaming area.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...