Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

Corona virus - impact on the flight simulation market?

Hello

Do you think the Corona virus will have an impact on the flight simulation market?

Will the addon manufacturers be "winners" or "losers" of the crisis? 

Winners because people are now at home and have a lot of time to fly virtually or losers because people are now busy with survival, earning nothing and keeping their money together? 

What do you think? 

Do you expect discounts or price reductions? 

I wish you all to stay healthy! 
Erik

1 hour ago, enrico10999 said:

Do you expect discounts or price reductions?

I expect a lot of people will lose their jobs and life’s savings that took 10 years to rebuild since the last financial crisis. I expect good working people having to struggle for a couple of years to recover their lost equity and capital back to where it should.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

19 minutes ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

I expect a lot of people will lose their jobs and life’s savings that took 10 years to rebuild since the last financial crisis. I expect good working people having to struggle for a couple of years to recover their lost equity and capital back to where it should.

Agree. This is having an effect on the economy already. 

Not just the flight sim developers. 

Some interesting tines ahead. Abd difficult. 

1 hour ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

Correct, the people at my airline in fixed term contracts (which nearly always get turned to permanent contracts) are bricking it. 

We are also asking people to take unpaid leave and pension cuts. 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, fluffyflops said:

Correct, the people at my airline in fixed term contracts (which nearly always get turned to permanent contracts) are bricking it. 

We are also asking people to take unpaid leave and pension cuts. 

The Mrs works for airline. She now has a cough and booked off. She was supposed to go to NZAA. She checked the loads. Last week, full flight, now 60 passengers on a 789. Better she quarantines here than there.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Don't get me wrong, I love flight simulators, but really, there are more serious things to be worried about. Besides, developing for flight sims is probably one of the things which is comparatively easy to do working from home, which already happens a lot anyway.

But when people are looking at losing jobs and getting into financial difficulty, luxuries and hobbies will be the first things to go of course. So yes, it is bound to affect sales.

• Like 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Apart from the developers that live in Italy, like FSDT guys for whom I desire the best of luck, I don't expect too much damage to the work of the developers. They've always worked from an office or home.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Speaking of trivial asides:  One of my favorite beers is Corona - I almost always order it in a restaurant  (like many,many others, I won't be eating-out any time soon).  And, I think I'll switch beers for a while after this is all over.... 

But, irregardless, sim flights must still continue! -  Right now I'm in an Easyjet A321 from EHAM to ATH at L37,000.

9 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

And, I think I'll switch beers for a while after this is all over.... 

Can I ask why?

David Porrett

I believe will will see a major drop of flight sim add-on sales during 2020 and long into 2021

When most people that are lucky and and now have a secure job will loose 40% of their income and those that are not that lucky will loose even more, there will not be much left to buy "unimportant" flight sim add-ons.

Roar Kristensen    www.flightsim4fun.com

P3Dv4 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BAv4 for immersive PMDG B737/777/747 flying

XPLANE 11 with Opencockpits hardware controlled by OC4BA_XP for immersive  B737 flying

rmMShli.jpg?1 WylQl0J.jpg?3

On the other hand....  With virtually no sports to watch and the energy of news media aimed to gain viewership based on sensationalization, my TVs are off except for prior recorded sports, twice a day (one is year old reruns) Jeopardy  broadcasts I watch with my wife of 48 years, and weather.  So that leaves a lot of time for sim flying.  Sim flying is winning over other activities at this time.  And normally my sim flying hours decrease as Spring arrives.

So at this time sim flying gets a big thumbs up!
👍

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Both my wife and I work ,this week at least, in the airline industry. She’s already told me to stop all unnecessary expenditure and for once I have to agree with her. Though her further suggestion that I should start selling my collection of BMW motorcycles was firmly nipped in the bud.

Its important at times like this we keep up a good supply of humour, particularly black humour, it’s how we Brits at least get through these dark times.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

48 minutes ago, DavidP said:

Can I ask why?

Sort of similar to boarding an airplane and seeing your buddy John and yelling "Hi Jack"!:laugh:

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

26 minutes ago, jon b said:

Though her further suggestion that I should start selling my collection of BMW motorcycles was firmly nipped in the bud.

👍

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I work in the film business.

The past 7 days have been complete freefall. Everything shooting either postponed indefinitely or cancelled. Thousands laid off and because we all freelancers with a day or maybe at best a week pay.

I have never seen anything like this personally. All business that is hospitality or tourism or well so many others are decimated.

We are looking at a seismic shift in the world. We have not even started yet. Wait till June to see how this virus works.

Yes FlightSim of course affected but that will be the least of our troubles.

H.