Sign in to follow this  
kand

P3D v5 is DX12

On 4/3/2020 at 2:48 PM, DJJose said:

Don't know if it will fix the pauses or stutters. XP 11.50 with Vulkan enabled is silky smooth.

Assuming shaders are responsible, then yes.....and Austin explains why in this video:

https://youtu.be/_D9YZLapnCw

Mike

Edited by Cruachan

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

So even with a complex aircraft the process is incredibly quick. And this is with P3D v3.4 - a 32-bit sim. I don't notice any degredation in v4 either with the PMDG737-800.

I think this probably depends on your specific system. These M.2 drives are incredibly quick! 😉

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

4 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I should remind you, then, that if these are noticeable it is usually because you are using a sophisticated add-on aircraft like those from PMDG and FSL, which actually freeze the sim whilst assembling and writing the files they use to record the complete state of the cockpit and systems.

The only part FSUIPC's Autosave plays is sending the request to SimConnect to save a flight.  That's the same function you can operate by the ; key (unless reassigned). FSUIPC is just saving you entering the name for the saved flight and removing the oldest saved file.

There is no way of performing an Autosave without saving data to disk. That's what it is!

Pete

If it's worth anything, I'd just say I have not noticed any particular pauses. I have FSUIPC auto-save every 15 minutes or so.

As for P3Dv5, this is pretty exciting. It sounds like the use of DX12 might just bring enough workload to the GPU where it's more than just 30-50% engaged. I have almost never seen my GPU max out, and the once or twice it did was always because of massive amounts of clouds. So here's hoping DX12 can ease the workload of the CPU, thus producing better FPS, and finally get my GPU to do the work it so clearly has a capacity for. Do I expect a smooth ride into JFK or LAX? Hell no - but an improvement from a sim-stopping slideshow? Perhaps. I like to temper my expectations, just in case.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

31 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

I think this probably depends on your specific system. These M.2 drives are incredibly quick! 😉

Pete

Indeed they are and given @ideoplastichas one it’s odd.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have a fast M.2 drive and I always get a very short pause when FSUIPC autosaves with FSLabs and PMDG aircraft.

Hopefully the Clouds - AA issue will be solved too.

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I should remind you, then, that if these are noticeable it is usually because you are using a sophisticated add-on aircraft like those from PMDG and FSL, which actually freeze the sim whilst assembling and writing the files they use to record the complete state of the cockpit and systems.

The panel state is less than 100K, as is the flight files - any modern drive can write that in a period of time not visible to the naked eye, and CPUs can assemble that data even faster.

I am able to toggle this condition on and off at will, simply by adjusting my anti-virus exclusions.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

55 minutes ago, essex said:

Again, that's not streaming either. If you look at the screen captures on FSDeveloper you see that the area covered by the downloaded models and textures is limited to the center of the view. The rest of the buildings are default objects and textures. Rob's point is that no one is going to do this for the entire globe and put it on their local PC. At least not an existing PC. 

10 hours ago, Luke said:

The panel state is less than 100K, as is the flight files - any modern drive can write that in a period of time not visible to the naked eye, and CPUs can assemble that data even faster.

I am able to toggle this condition on and off at will, simply by adjusting my anti-virus exclusions.

Cheers!

Though the antivirus exclusion for the save file folders addresses the pauses, if you check the FSL panel states they are a whopping 25mb per save!! I have turned off the autosave to reduce the writes on my SSD as a result.

14 hours ago, Luke said:

Nice. So why do PMDG aircraft cause stutters when they save their data? Are they doing it deliberately?

All FSUIPC does is make one call to SimConnect to request a flight is saved, and possibly one file deletion to maintain the cycle.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

23 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Assuming shaders are responsible, then yes.....and Austin explains why in this video:

https://youtu.be/_D9YZLapnCw

Mike

I'm not an XP guy but i found that video entertaining and informative for an non-coding word not allowed like me 🙂

Would like that from other developers too.

• Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

OMG, 6 pages about this "confirmed information" and all the "facts" that comes with it. And the source is nothing more than a vague changelog entry from a 3rd party company.

If LM had a new major release that was close to release and they wanted us to know about it, they would tell us. If they had something under development that they wouldn't want to tell us yet, the NDA would make all 3rd party developers keep quiet.

Now when X-plane has gone Vulkan, Aerofly has gone Vulkan, and MSFS2020 is getting closer to a release, I'm pretty sure that if LM had something big coming up, they would have let us know by now to make sure we don't leave them. I haven't even seen anything that even tells us that it's still being developed at all. To be able to compete with the others they would have to present something really huge and right now.

Personally I don't see it happening, although I know many people are financially and emotionally invested in P3D and will defend it till the end.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

OMG, 6 pages about this "confirmed information" and all the "facts" that comes with it. And the source is nothing more than a vague changelog entry from a 3rd party company.

If LM had a new major release that was close to release and they wanted us to know about it, they would tell us. If they had something under development that they wouldn't want to tell us yet, the NDA would make all 3rd party developers keep quiet.

Now when X-plane has gone Vulkan, Aerofly has gone Vulkan, and MSFS2020 is getting closer to a release, I'm pretty sure that if LM had something big coming up, they would have let us know by now to make sure we don't leave them. I haven't even seen anything that even tells us that it's still being developed at all. To be able to compete with the others they would have to present something really huge and right now.

Personally I don't see it happening, although I know many people are financially and emotionally invested in P3D and will defend it till the end.

Yes and we now everything about MSFS confirmed information 6 months of speculation.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 minutes ago, tolip2 said:

If LM had a new major release that was close to release and they wanted us to know about it, they would tell us.

Uhm ... nope. They have never done that and i'm sure they won't do it this time. Every release (beside Hot fixes) came out of nowhere in the last years.

They only hint we had was when Pete Dowson has gone on holiday, then you had an 98,567% chance that the next release will happen in a few days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png