Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Will you buy Prepar3D V5

Will you buy Prepar3D V5 Poll  

508 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will you buy Prepar3D V5

    • on release date
      197
    • after a sufficient number of addons are confirmed compatible and free or reasonably priced
      244
    • Never
      67

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2020 at 03:57 AM

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

I'm afraid that was an unrealistic expectation.

Microsoft are using their wide-ranging tech infrastructure (data centres around the globe) and IP (via satellite imagery used in Bing Maps) to complement another MS product in the shape of MS Flight Sim.

Other than Google, there is no-one else capable of bringing that combination together at an affordable price.
So landclass (and possibly small photoscenery areas) hosted on end users' HDDs/SSDs are as good as it was ever going to be.
 

LM probably has the best satellite data there is...they did in fact make the SR-71 and it took some insane pics.

Lets see what happens when we all gets our hands on P3Dv5 soon.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Where's the wow factor? 


Jacek G.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Overall, there seems to be a distinct lack of excitement for P3D v5 on Avsim. Well, I am excited - this is just like Christmas!

I've been sitting here refreshing the LM store page to see if it will turn up - so far, no luck.

It's not every day that you get a new version to experiment with. I remember being excited for FS9, FSX, P3Dv1/2, v3, V4 (lots of fun trying to get Carenados to work in 64 bit day 1) and now...V5.

Enjoy it folks, I think we're going to have fun with our new sim. :)

  • Like 6

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

 xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post

I think the general reason for lack of excitement is the shadow of MSFS. Even if it's months and months away from release, one cannot simply ignore what has been shown. P3D is and will remain landclass-based.

For now "it'll do" - no very exciting 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SimonC said:

I think the general reason for lack of excitement is the shadow of MSFS. Even if it's months and months away from release, one cannot simply ignore what has been shown. P3D is and will remain landclass-based.

For now "it'll do" - no very exciting 🙂

I promise you I will not be flying P3D with landclass - ugh. Do you think it is 1999 or something? 🙂

Looking forward to seeing how orthoscenery looks and performs in the new sim. Truesky near sunset cruising over the Swiss Alps or Arizona/New Mexico/Utah sounds pretty good to me.

Edit: I see Thorsten was also singing the praises of orthoscenery a page or so back. Just because LM packages the sim with LC scenery, it doesn't mean you have to use it! 

Edited by OzWhitey

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

 xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, F737NG said:

I'm afraid that was an unrealistic expectation.

Microsoft are using their wide-ranging tech infrastructure (data centres around the globe) and IP (via satellite imagery used in Bing Maps) to complement another MS product in the shape of MS Flight Sim.

Other than Google, there is no-one else capable of bringing that combination together at an affordable price.
So landclass (and possibly small photoscenery areas) hosted on end users' HDDs/SSDs are as good as it was ever going to be.
 

I agree, apart from the last bit. People often forget how good P3D can look with ortho - it's much more strongly associated with XP, Me, I tend to like the appearance of orthoscenery in P3D more than XP, where it tends to look a bit too drab despite my best efforts. Also, mountains, clouds and water in XP are nowhere near as good as P3D, which helps with the ortho appearance.

My objection is to the term "small" photoscenery areas. It doesn't cost that much to get an 8TB drive these days and dedicate it to P3D ortho, in which case you can cover a good chunk of the globe. If you don't want to make your own (it's fun!), Megascenery Earth is 50% off at the moment. For those who've never tried orthoscenery in P3D, I'd suggest that trying one of the new Megascenery US states (Colorado, New Mexico) is not a bad idea. Alternatively, Orbx TrueEarth South gives you 'autogen' with your scenery and V5 may actually have enough horsepower to run it.

  • Like 1

Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

 xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post

Call me uneducated then, but what is the difference between ortho and photo? And what does MSFS use?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I agree, apart from the last bit.

My comment about small areas of aerial imagery was based on the assumption that the person I was replying to wanted to see photoscenery everywhere as default ground textures in v5, similar to what we will be able to do in MSFS, rather than the use of payware ortho add-ons such as MSE and TrueEarth or freeware stuff.

I absolutely adore photoscenery in P3D, especially the more recent tech such as TrueEarth.
There are four fantastic freeware options to obtain ortho and autogen in P3D for various parts of / all of Europe.

Namely:

 

  • Like 2

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO); ASUS GTX 1070 O8G; Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; triple monitor

P3Dv5.1 + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + MSE + ActiveSky + ChasePlane + AILRP + Self Loading Cargo + WIN 10 Pro
PMDG 737NGX; QW 757 787; AS A320 A330; MJC Dash 8; A2A PA-28; Carenado A42 A72 XL560; FT E-Jets v3; PMDG 777; JF C152

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

My comment about small areas of aerial imagery was based on the assumption that the person I was replying to wanted to see photoscenery everywhere as default ground textures in v5, similar to what we will be able to do in MSFS, rather than the use of payware ortho add-ons such as MSE and TrueEarth or freeware stuff.

I absolutely adore photoscenery in P3D, especially the more recent tech such as TrueEarth.
There are four fantastic freeware options to obtain ortho and autogen in P3D for various parts of / all of Europe.

Namely:

 

Thanks for the link suggestions, I will check out the ones I haven't seen. Megascenery has improved a lot, I would recommend it now to those who want a simple solution.

Alternatively, you can just make your own with FSET. I've been flying v4.5 LIMC to EDDM today, 25cm and 50cm per pixel "home made" photoscenery can look even better than the purchased stuff. P3D v4 turned into a capable orthoscenery performer, I'm hoping to see even better results once we have a DX12 sim. 


Rob

Sim rig: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5GHz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, MSI 2080 Ti, GSkill DDR4 32 GB, NZXT Kraken. 

Current sims: P3D v5, MSFS, X-plane 11, Aerofly FS2 and DCS. 

 xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Like you, I fly the Carib..I fly the PNW coast up to Alaska.  I want to see nVidia WaveWorks 2.0 splash me from the monitor face!  Seriously...high anticipation for this water engine overhaul/upgrade.  The Carib and Atlantic Ocean,  tomorrow, should render spectacular for the both of us....

I haven’t really looked into the Waveworks a lot. What do you know about it? The way I figure it, even if all my addons don’t work right away, the upgrade is just too tasty to pass up. Even considering how extremely happy I am with what I already have:

https://youtu.be/006YwvezVOg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

Overall, there seems to be a distinct lack of excitement for P3D v5 on Avsim. Well, I am excited - this is just like Christmas!

I've been sitting here refreshing the LM store page to see if it will turn up - so far, no luck.

It's not every day that you get a new version to experiment with. I remember being excited for FS9, FSX, P3Dv1/2, v3, V4 (lots of fun trying to get Carenados to work in 64 bit day 1) and now...V5.

Enjoy it folks, I think we're going to have fun with our new sim. 🙂

Couldn’t agree more. “I’m not going to enjoy this Aston Martin, because a new Ferrari is coming out maybe 6 months from now” said nobody, ever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

i'm excited too.  But the holdup for me is FSLabs.  The plane I fly most!

  • Upvote 1

9700k | Maximus XI Hero| 32gb DDR4 3000 |EVGA FTW3 3090 | 1tb EVO Plus 970 and 500GB M2+3TB HDD | 43" Samsung X60R 4k and 2  22" monitors | Corsair RM1000x |  240MM AIO.| MFG Crosswind | T16000M Stick | Saitek Throttle Quad | Skalarki MCDU and FCU | Saitek Radio Panel

Share this post


Link to post

I hope they have added VTBS to P3D in this update 😑😉

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, simbol said:

Another wonderful video from Maurice aviation lads:

 

Regards,

Simbol 

This is one of the better videos I have seen of v5. I would like to see a video of v5 with all the graphic options on max!

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Joseph29 said:

I would like to see a video of v5 with all the graphic options on max!

That might be possible on my system at 24hz. 24hz is absolutely super with V4.5 on my Samsung 55" 4K TV. It looks like 60fps. Impossible to capture in video unfortunately. I hope I get the same results with a driver update and V5

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    34%
    $8,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...