Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Will you buy Prepar3D V5

Will you buy Prepar3D V5 Poll  

508 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Will you buy Prepar3D V5

    • on release date
      197
    • after a sufficient number of addons are confirmed compatible and free or reasonably priced
      244
    • Never
      67

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2020 at 03:57 AM

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, simbol said:

They were broken on some early betas which I think they used for most videos you have seen. The latest RC (Release Candidate) we received has them fixed alongside with "God Rays" with the new atmospherics.

Once again.. there are cloud shadows..

Regards,

S.

Very nice, thanks Simbol... All set to get it as soon as it's out.

Cheers!

Matej

Edited by hollow1slo

Matej Stavanja

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, hollow1slo said:

Hmmm, no cloud shadows?

and no obscuration of aircraft flying through clouds either.😩

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, simbol said:

Another wonderful video from Maurice aviation lads:

 

Oh my . . .

these ugly landclass sceneries ☹️

Hey guys, if you want to have _real_ improvement in your flightsim you should change to photoreal sceneries.

Then you won't need thick clouds to hide your LC landscapes anymore.

Please, think about it if you make a fresh install for prepar3ing your PC for P3Dv5.

Sorry for giving you advice 🌷, but it's always so boring and ennoying to see LC 🍋🏕️
 

  • Like 1

Always safe landings 😉
Torsten

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I'm definitely a buyer at some point. I'd love to buy it first thing tomorrow, but I use...

Ah, you know even as I'm typing this I'm changing my mind. If not tomorrow then very soon. I fly around the Caribbean a lot, so I'm curious about FlyTampa SXM and UTX Tropical, along with a couple Flight1 and Alabeo aircraft. And REX stuff... 

I mean I could wait until I can confirm everything, or just give it a go. 

Edited by mtr75

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, PhotoReal Earth said:

Oh my . . .

these ugly landclass sceneries ☹️

Hey guys, if you want to have _real_ improvement in your flightsim you should change to photoreal sceneries.

Then you won't need thick clouds to hide your LC landscapes anymore.

Please, think about it if you make a fresh install for prepar3ing your PC for P3Dv5.

Sorry for giving you advice 🌷, but it's always so boring and ennoying to see LC 🍋🏕️
 

Can't you read? It says "I do not represent the final product." 😃

Share this post


Link to post

Yay, landclass!

Photoreal looks really, really good... until you get low to the ground.

I was following a thread on another forum that showed photoreal scenery from altitude and it looked incredible.  It made my poor stock P3D look pretty awful.  

And then, a pic was posted of the aircraft on final approach.

Flat blurry textures painted on the ground.  No autogen.  Jaw-droppingly ugly after the rest of the thread.  It was actually painful to see that screen shot.  It looked much worse than my stock P3D.

Since I do a lot of my flying at altitudes not much higher than final approach, that's all I'd ever see on those flights.  Painted ground.  No thanks.  

There are a lot of places where P3D landclass could be improved.  The desert southwest in the US is a pretty obvious example:  melted ice cream hills and what looks almost like filled polygons.  Other places where the landclass is quite good and actually beautiful.  Regional landclasses with country appropriate buildings and vegetation.  

If you can put appropriate autogen on that photoreal ground it might be very nice indeed.

Hook

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

 

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

I'm definitely a buyer at some point. I'd love to buy it first thing tomorrow, but I use...

Ah, you know even as I'm typing this I'm changing my mind. If not tomorrow then very soon. I fly around the Caribbean a lot, so I'm curious about FlyTampa SXM and UTX Tropical, along with a couple Flight1 and Alabeo aircraft. And REX stuff... 

I mean I could wait until I can confirm everything, or just give it a go. 

Like you, I fly the Carib..I fly the PNW coast up to Alaska.  I want to see nVidia WaveWorks 2.0 splash me from the monitor face!  Seriously...high anticipation for this water engine overhaul/upgrade.  The Carib and Atlantic Ocean,  tomorrow, should render spectacular for the both of us....

Edited by Sesquashtoo
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I might actually go for V5. Slowly it has grown on me but I still stand by my opinion of msfs being a completely different beast and in a league of its own but I am genuinely willing to give v5 a try. Besides msfs is still a year off and I am itching to try my new Thrustmaster Hotas 4.


Baber

 

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Share this post


Link to post

i was truly hoping that P3Dv5 would use new terrain with satellite imagery (to compete with MSFS2020).  I am basing this on from videos; it will be meh if I have to use Orbx global+vector+openlc (Orbx will not even update Vector - which is upsetting).  Lets see what happens once we all get to play with it around release time

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Yay, landclass!

Photoreal looks really, really good... until you get low to the ground.

I was following a thread on another forum that showed photoreal scenery from altitude and it looked incredible.  It made my poor stock P3D look pretty awful.  

And then, a pic was posted of the aircraft on final approach.

Flat blurry textures painted on the ground.  No autogen.  Jaw-droppingly ugly after the rest of the thread.  It was actually painful to see that screen shot.  It looked much worse than my stock P3D.

Since I do a lot of my flying at altitudes not much higher than final approach, that's all I'd ever see on those flights.  Painted ground.  No thanks.  

There are a lot of places where P3D landclass could be improved.  The desert southwest in the US is a pretty obvious example:  melted ice cream hills and what looks almost like filled polygons.  Other places where the landclass is quite good and actually beautiful.  Regional landclasses with country appropriate buildings and vegetation.  

If you can put appropriate autogen on that photoreal ground it might be very nice indeed.

Hook

I have to tell ya...blur at low altitudes is not the rule...but it might have been at what you were viewing. I have 80 percent of the world covered in Ortho4XP z17/z19-4    (the z19-4) means that all around my airports, when I created my XP tiles...the res is at z19 for four miles surround. The view, taking off or upon final is simply spectacular scenery at z19.  You can see what's on people's BBQ's practically at that resolution.   For the rest of my z17 world,  even at 1,000 feet, I see clear houses, pools, vegetation, buildings...superstructure...the all of it.  I have many screenshots displaying of what I type.  So...not all photo-real decays to blur. Nope...it's all down to the quality of the material it was sourced from...and the reso...it was compiled to.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not really a fan of TrueSky clouds, and I'm not really a fan of SpeedTrees, so as long as we can turn both of these off I think I'll be happy.  PBR has been a mixed bag so far but I expect everyone will get it right eventually.

If I can fly the same add-on aircraft I'm currently flying then I'll go with v5.  I don't have any add-on scenery except Neuschwanstein castle and a version of my home airport that I've edited heavily.  I'd really miss Active Sky Cloud Art if I had to give it up.

Any performance improvements will be welcome, sloped runways will be useful, and I see a lot of bug fixes in the list.  

It doesn't have to be perfect.  It just has to be better than what we currently have.

Hook


Larry Hookins

 

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

i was truly hoping that P3Dv5 would use new terrain with satellite imagery (to compete with MSFS2020).

I'm afraid that was an unrealistic expectation.

Microsoft are using their wide-ranging tech infrastructure (data centres around the globe) and IP (via satellite imagery used in Bing Maps) to complement another MS product in the shape of MS Flight Sim.

Other than Google, there is no-one else capable of bringing that combination together at an affordable price.
So landclass (and possibly small photoscenery areas) hosted on end users' HDDs/SSDs are as good as it was ever going to be.
 

  • Like 2

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO); ASUS GTX 1070 O8G; Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; triple monitor

P3Dv5.1 + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + MSE + ActiveSky + ChasePlane + AILRP + Self Loading Cargo + WIN 10 Pro
PMDG 737NGX; QW 757 787; AS A320 A330; MJC Dash 8; A2A PA-28; Carenado A42 A72 XL560; FT E-Jets v3; PMDG 777; JF C152

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I'm not really a fan of TrueSky clouds, and I'm not really a fan of SpeedTrees, so as long as we can turn both of these off I think I'll be happy.  PBR has been a mixed bag so far but I expect everyone will get it right eventually.

If I can fly the same add-on aircraft I'm currently flying then I'll go with v5.  I don't have any add-on scenery except Neuschwanstein castle and a version of my home airport that I've edited heavily.  I'd really miss Active Sky Cloud Art if I had to give it up.

Any performance improvements will be welcome, sloped runways will be useful, and I see a lot of bug fixes in the list.  

It doesn't have to be perfect.  It just has to be better than what we currently have.

Hook

Hook, there’s an option to disable TrueSky and SpeedTrees in the settings. 


Matt King

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

So...not all photo-real decays to blur. Nope...it's all down to the quality of the material it was sourced from...and the reso...it was compiled to.

Maybe so but there's a landclass tile in P3D that illustrates the problem perfectly.  It shows fields with some forest but has no autogen trees.  It stands out a bit too much from the surrounding scenery.  I notice it every time I see it.  

Give me some 3D objects on the ground, if only to provide scale.  And I haven't seen "comically oversized autogen" in years;  all my autogen is correctly scaled and I've measured it on the ground.  It probably has something to do with my relatively high autogen density and complexity settings since I don't need larger buildings and trees to make up for the fact that there aren't enough of them.

Hook


Larry Hookins

 

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Hook, there’s an option to disable TrueSky and SpeedTrees in the settings.

I know. 🙂  I tried SpeedTrees once in P3D and when the color didn't match I turned it right back off.  I didn't care for SpeedTrees in Microsoft Flight either, but there weren't any options there. 😄

Hook


Larry Hookins

 

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    34%
    $8,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...