Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

Those ideal specs are nothing seeing that ryzen 4xxx and nvidia rtx 3xxx series is just around the corner.  Rtx 3060 will be able to match rtx 2080 in terms of raw performance. So by next year, most of us will be way above their ideal specs.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

1 hour ago, nikita said:

Whoever told you FTTC would be fine at that distance ripped you off. Anything copper is good up to 2, maybe 3 km if you can accept low speeds. 4 miles is garbage and i'm surprised you're getting a stable signal in the first place. At those distances you're looking either at FTTH or wireless stuff.

Hi @nikita 

Perhaps my response was insufficiently clear. We live around 4 miles south of Edinburgh. Our local exchange is roughly 1 mile, as the crow flies, from our home. The street cabinet is also around a mile from our home by a somewhat indirect route. We were ‘quoted’ 15 Mbps at time of conversion several years ago, but speeds have never been higher than 10-11Mbps. However, the connection has, in the main, remained very stable and reliable. Never had problems with huge downloads...just have to be patient!

Now, Virgin have installed a cabinet 2-3 hundred yards from our house so if this distance is bridged with copper, as it is now from the BT cabinet, we should expect much improved d/l speeds. Fibre may not be possible as it could prove prohibitively expensive to install over that distance. To be fair, at this point I don’t know what might be possible. I’ve registered an interest so will have to wait and see.

In light of your comments, perhaps I should be revising my somewhat negative opinion regarding BT and be thankful for what we have. 

Regards,

Mike

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, captain420 said:

So since memory bandwidth plays an important factor in terms of performance for msfs2020, what intel CPU has the highest memory bandwidth currently? and will the 10th generation i9 have a new chip with good mmb as well? Deciding between i9-10990K or something with the most memory bandwidth.

What about the i9-9800X? Does anyone know how much memory bandwidth that has? I couldn't find that info.

If "X" makes real difference here the best CPU would actually be now the I9-10980XE (or I9-10920X)

Very few PC custom builders offer the X299 chipset, only some who build high-end workstations. And if you proceed to configure your system around the X299 you get a warning this is not for gaming applications.

I very much wonder if someone on the team just scribbled the X with no substance behind it.

Edited by michal
  • Like 1

The biggest question for me personally, is what's the good spec for running VR, when they release a VR version. I fly VR on Oculus Rift S with X-plane, and I can tell you that it completely transformed flight simulation for me. The depth perception alone is worth it, plus you actually manipulate every button, lever and knob, actually feeling it clicking and rotating. Throttle quadrant with all its levers is manipulated directly and you don't have to switch views etc. and no need to build cockpits and sink a lot of money in a crippled emulations of real thing. I feel indents on thrust and prop levers so I know when to raise and pull them to go for reverse etc. Immersion is superb, you get the feeling of all instruments and controls and everything looks life-size. It's like a difference between seeing something on TV and actually being there. You see the cockpit glass imperfections, you sense that gauges are really behing their glass covers. Details like that are so impressive that I Would never go back to 2D simulation. I can tell you that despite how jaw-dropping graphics look in MSFS2020 I will not buy it until it's has VR support. VR is very demanding, GPU has to render two different 1280x1441 pictures for every frame. My guess is that ideal specs should do VR perfectly, but we don't know. I'm holding my fingers that they release VR as they hinted about it being a "high priority" for them. My GTX 1660 OC GPU barely manages VR for X-Plane, although it's above recommended specs for MSFS2020, I'm sure for VR I will have to upgrade to at least 5700 XT or 2070S GPU. But the rest of my system are at or above ideal specs: Liquid-cooled Ryzen 7 3700X overclocked to 4350Mhz, 64Gb RAM (2666 overclocked to 3200), 120mbit internet connection. Oh, I only pray that they release VR and make a good job of it, at least as good as X-Plane. Voice recognition ATC would also be nice, like in Pilot2ATC which I use and which is essential for VR because handling in-game menus breaks the immersion. They own all the technology for TTS and voice recognition, and Windows even has it built-in, so why not... We'll see...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

1 hour ago, Brandon01110 said:

Yes sir I am saving.  Gonna be putting 3k of upgrades into the system.  🙂  I have an older 4770k/1070/32gb ddr3.  Thinking AMD 4000/3080ti/64gb ddr4

Edit: ok, I dont need it but want it.....

If you don't need your old system anymore...

• Like 2

Hey guys i have an older Intel i7 975 Extreme @ 3.33 GHZ CPU. Will this sufficed for the minimum requirements?

Thanks,

UPS123.png

22 minutes ago, rfelger said:

Hey guys i have an older Intel i7 975 Extreme @ 3.33 GHZ CPU. Will this sufficed for the minimum requirements?

Performs slightly better than the minimum CPUs specified when all eight threads are used. If the simulator can use all threads and does not require any missing instruction sets (I believe Nehalem supports SSE4.1, and AVX in a game is very unlikely), then you will be fine.

10 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Performs slightly better than the minimum CPUs specified when all eight threads are used. If the simulator can use all threads and does not require any missing instruction sets (I believe Nehalem supports SSE4.1, and AVX in a game is very unlikely), then you will be fine.

Thanks my friend,stil probably will need to do an upgrade soon most likely.

• Like 1

UPS123.png

I'm not a person that needs everything to look as pretty as possible.

If a game has a recommend/autodetect settings button I hit it, and if I still get FPS over 60 with that, then I will increase my settings more. Since I only have a 60 hertz monitor, I don't need more than 60.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pracines said:

to me X-Plane and the others just don't cut it.

Nah... they had 10 years to put a foot in the door. There was even competition with two sims on the market. XP was slowly taking over. But it felt like a battle of the blind, where the one eyed is the champion.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

This is great, now I can finally plan my new PC build.  The specs are lower than I expected, but the bandwidth is more than my current ISP can provide. 

Come on Elon Musk, let me buy Starlink already!  TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!!!

For now I have a 1660TI, but now im leaning towards a 5700XT. Would you guys wait for the next gen Radeon GPU/Nvidia 3000, or buy the 5700xt (its just in my budget, but i'm affraid that the next gen AMD GPU will be much more expensive. For the rest i'm save with my 3700x and 16gb of RAM I think

Don't buy a new PC just yet for FS2020. Not just due to specs, but because a new generation of stuff is coming out.

DDR5 RAM. 3080 TI. Ryzen 4000 series.

Get the 3080 when it launches, and hold off on the CPU and RAM upgrade until DDR5 is released.

Or get a CPU upgrade now and a ddr4 ram upgrade when DDR5 is released, as prices will be lower.

Edited by Concodroid

14 minutes ago, Jelle123 said:

For now I have a 1660TI, but now im leaning towards a 5700XT. Would you guys wait for the next gen Radeon GPU/Nvidia 3000, or buy the 5700xt (its just in my budget, but i'm affraid that the next gen AMD GPU will be much more expensive. For the rest i'm save with my 3700x and 16gb of RAM I think

RDNA is probably going to age rather badly, with lack of support for DirectX 12 Ultimate which includes ray-tracing, and Microsoft Flight Simulator will have a DirectX 12 and ray-tracing patch in the future. I recommend waiting for RDNA 2 or Ampere, which are rumoured to be launching in the September-October timeframe, and it seems unlikely that the simulator will be released before then anyway. As for prices, while there is no guarantee they will get better, I can hardly imagine them getting even higher. RDNA 2 with its 50% performance/Watt improvement will be very competitive, and a $500 GPU performing similarly to the new consoles with the same price is going to kill sales. And after that, NVIDIA shall present their response with Ampere.

@Concodroid Agreed with the above, though keep in mind that DDR5 support is coming in the generation after Ryzen 4000. Zen 3 will maintain AM4 socket and DDR4 support, while Zen 4 will switch to a new socket with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 as well.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty

So I'm guessing for CPU that more cores is more important than pure speed? Or a combo of both is better than either?  Compare middle of ground i4-4460 to someone having a i5-2500(k). Same cores but more speed. Would that be a better choice (assuming someone with older hardware)? 

Just wondering what it all really means I guess. Cant wait for the NDA to lift...