Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

13 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Yay, seems I can keep my overclocked 2500K because it CPU Marks quite close to the recommended i5 8400 and even at stock it will almost match the minimum 4460. So if everything remains reliable, I'm golden for at least a mid-tier experience.

What mobo? I don't think they make them for the 2500k anymore

I've got a brand new still in its box

ZORAN

12 minutes ago, OHN767 said:

Well 1080p is good enough for me, i dont care about 4k at all, so my 16gb ram and 1080 ti graphics should be more than enough to handle this.

True.  I haven't the need for 4k as well. Call it age, or eyesight, a bit of both, or too laid back. 

I've had no issue running xplane with high settings with ortho and hd mesh on screen or VR with my measly fx8350 even before Vulkan. So that's my benchmark. 

I dont know what happens tomorrow, or the next day. The plan is get it, install it and go from there. I dont jump when people say jump. I'll decide what I need and when. 

@zmak Given the system is 8 years old now, they definitely don't make the motherboards. It's a Gigabyte on the P67A chipset, and I run the CPU at 4.5 GHz (vs 3.3 GHz stock). Hopefully with my GTX980 it'll do 1440p reasonably. Perhaps it'll come unstuck when the addons start piling in?

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

2 hours ago, KenG said:

LOL! Build a min spec PC and see how long it lasts. Once the add-ons start flying even the Ideal Requirement PC will break a sweat. 

It is a good point. MS spec's have always looked good on paper but once you add in the stuff like high end aircraft and airports etc. you always end up with a slide show until .....wait for it......the next Gen CPU, MB, and GPU are released. It has always been that way with any of the sims and it is not likely to change now. That is not to put them down or bad mouth their efforts in any way. It is just the way of the world.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, Far_Isle_Pilot said:

I recall, during a few of the videos released after the Global Event in Seattle, those invited mentioned they couldn't tell much about the specs of the machines they were using, but that one of them saw a 2080Ti inside.  Going with the idea Asobo/MS were giving these folks a go at the sim, and probably trying to make the best impression possible, the resolutions used there were similar to the E3 footage.  I think all of them agreed that, surprisingly (to them), what they saw in that trailer (In-game 4k footage) was exactly what they saw at the event.  A few famously went in expecting to be had, but were surprised when they had hands on time, that the trailer was no gimmick.  I am thinking/hoping perhaps the Ideal Specs may be what's needed for a 4k experience, similar to the trailer/Global Event?

Admittedly this is putting a few things together without absolute proof.  Here's hoping this turns out to be the case 🙏

I do remember the talk about it being run in 4k, then at a later date someone did say they saw a 2080TI in one of the rigs there.

Most people still game in 1080P though, it's by far the most common resolution. 4k is very demanding, even for the 2080TI with todays AAA titles.

Personally I've gone for the sweat spot, and I'm running a 1440P screen - planning on a 3080TI when they launch and hoping for 60FPS

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

You would think so and yet BT Infinity (FTTC) can only deliver 10Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up to my home 4 miles south of Edinburgh in Scotland. Virgin infrastructure has recently been established close by. Assuming speeds are significantly higher, and I can connect, then once they are online you won’t see me for dust! BT should be hanging their heads in shame! 

Mike

Whoever told you FTTC would be fine at that distance ripped you off. Anything copper is good up to 2, maybe 3 km if you can accept low speeds. 4 miles is garbage and i'm surprised you're getting a stable signal in the first place. At those distances you're looking either at FTTH or wireless stuff.

Edited by nikita

14 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Yay, seems I can keep my overclocked 2500K because it CPU Marks quite close to the recommended i5 8400 and even at stock it will almost match the minimum 4460. So if everything remains reliable, I'm golden for at least a mid-tier experience.

At what clock are you running yours? My 2500k is running at 4.4. (NVM seen you already answered above).

Edited by Kpeters
Not needed!

1 hour ago, asgnp said:

On the CPU front, i think their selection criteria might have something to do with the L2 Cache, as well has memory bandwidth.

CPU          Mem Bandwidth          L2 Cache
9900K       39.74 GB/s                    2 MB (8x256 KB)
9800X       79.47 GB/s                    8 MB (8x1 MB)
2700 Pro   43.71 GB/s                    4 MB (8x512 KB)

Well, I have a 9900k and I sleep well at night. If MSFS cannot be run with a 9900k with all sliders right then they have an issue with the software. Now, I will say that the GPU will be just as, if not more important going forward. Just look at the dumpster fire P3D V5 is currently with VRAM and DX12. I know MSFS is DX11 for now so more CPU presently. I cannot fathom that an end user will see any noticable difference between a 9800x and a 9900k.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

2 hours ago, Turpentine said:

This may sound like heresy on these boards, but I am semi-seriously considering the option of getting an Xbox Series X for MSFS2020... Reality is, I would be spending 1.5k-2k on a new desktop solely for FS, I would not need it for anything else. I'm not a big gamer, but I certainly would be using the Xbox for more than only flying.

I guess my main worries about the Xbox option are (1) that MSFS2020 gets released months later on this platform and (2) the limitations related to peripherals. Am I forgetting other downsides with that plan? Anyone considering this option?

Add ons may not be as applicable or available on Xbox is the only other item you may want to consider if add ons are your thing.

• Upvote 1

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
          Memory: 16384MB RAM
          WINDOWS10 - DirectX Version: DirectX 12
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Display Memory: 12183 MB; Dedicated Memory: 4018 MB)

3 hours ago, Hyperfocal said:

I would wait considering MSFS isn't available

And start a savings account, and save for what you are going to need. :smile:

huey1177.gif

19 minutes ago, KORH Jeff said:

Add ons may not be as applicable or available on Xbox is the only other item you may want to consider if add ons are your thing.

At most they'll be limited to what is put on the in game Marketplace, which I imagine will be limited to what can be used in engine without third party programs or plugins.

Edited by Tuskin38

11 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

At most they'll be limited to what is put on the in game Marketplace, which I imagine will be limited to what can be used in engine without third party programs or plugins.

I would Imagine third party addon Devs would like to get on the New XBOX, think of all those millions of punters in the shop window instead of thousands, and some of the latest titles allow editing with a keyboard and mouse under windows 10. 

PS check my last post on this forum Ref XBOX.

Edited by G-RFRY
  • Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 minute ago, G-RFRY said:

I would Imagine third party addon Devs would like to get on the New XBOX, think of all those millions of punters in the shop window instead of thousands, and some of the latest titles allow editing with a keyboard and mouse under windows 10. 

TRUE..  a new market for sure..  would need easy install etc...  but I am sure some are looking at it!

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
          Memory: 16384MB RAM
          WINDOWS10 - DirectX Version: DirectX 12
          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Display Memory: 12183 MB; Dedicated Memory: 4018 MB)

I imagine there will also be restrictions on the console market place for texture resolution and such, as to not over tax the system.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, jpc55 said:

And start a savings account, and save for what you are going to need.

Yes sir I am saving.  Gonna be putting 3k of upgrades into the system.  🙂  I have an older 4770k/1070/32gb ddr3.  Thinking AMD 4000/3080ti/64gb ddr4

Edit: ok, I dont need it but want it.....

Edited by Brandon01110
  • Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.