Sign in to follow this  
simtom

MSFS Required Specs

8 hours ago, Noooch said:

@Jonnoxx @michal I was thinking just like you about not even thinking to buy something until the sim is out but things have happened to me meanwhile.

Just think about the fact maybe you don't know everything about my life and the reasons I start planning a motherboard and CPU purchase. You will sleep better at night 🙂

@PWJT8D @eaim and @Kopteeni are right. Actually there can be a ton of reasons to start consider it now, especially, like @PWJT8D , if I don't have the money to spend all at once.

It’s alright. We understand. The only reason I have a fresh rig is because my old i5 2500k died after about 9 years of service. I’m still using my old gpu, but I’ve come from an old ddr3 system to ddr4 on the eve of ddr5. I have a 3600 that sits around 4.1Ghz most of the time, 32GB of ram at around 3200 and a 1tb m.2. I’ll spend £400 or so on a gpu once rdna2 and ampere arrive and look at upgrading it in 3 or 4 years. I will hit the ideal spec comfortably and be using 1440 res until vr. Where I will still wait patiently for a £400 or less gpu because the performance of the £1.5k+ gpu is generally realised in a £400 gpu within a couple of years

47 minutes ago, Anthracite said:

It’s alright. We understand. The only reason I have a fresh rig is because my old i5 2500k died after about 9 years of service. I’m still using my old gpu, but I’ve come from an old ddr3 system to ddr4 on the eve of ddr5. I have a 3600 that sits around 4.1Ghz most of the time, 32GB of ram at around 3200 and a 1tb m.2. I’ll spend £400 or so on a gpu once rdna2 and ampere arrive and look at upgrading it in 3 or 4 years. I will hit the ideal spec comfortably and be using 1440 res until vr. Where I will still wait patiently for a £400 or less gpu because the performance of the £1.5k+ gpu is generally realised in a £400 gpu within a couple of years

Did you add a cooler to maintain the 4.1 Ghz or is the default one enough?

On 4/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, Captain747 said:

Not necessarily...nevertheless...very good to know the specs at this point though!

B4kCmni.png

The new Xbox provides a fixed budget in terms of GPU, CPU etc that they need to design for.  I imagine that they therefore need to have a very good internal sizing model to ensure that it will run well on that platform.  Hence they can estimate what it will require on PCs as well.

23 hours ago, Jonnoxx said:

Soooo …. (genuine question!)

What am I NOT understanding about the supposed advantages or compulsion of upgrading right now???

For those with very old machines, maybe they are hoping to get into the alpha or beta to occupy their days while they are in lockdown?

6 hours ago, Noooch said:

Did you add a cooler to maintain the 4.1 Ghz or is the default one enough?

It’s an aio liquid cooler. The nzxt kraken. The cpu is overclocking itself without affecting the warranty which is great. My wife is using the cooler that came with it, it goes up and down and in real terms the difference is measurable but insignificant. Mine operates almost silently (when compared to the sound of my wife’s computer nearby) even under load. That’s why I got the aio, coming from a towering air cooler it was nice to have a slight hum and no difficulty accessing the board/ram etc

• Like 1

They just extended the time to update dxdiag until 1st of may. They also confirmed on twitter that updating the dxdiag doesn't reset your place for alpha.

• Like 2

I'm OK with the recommended specs for now with my old PC on 1080 resolution. At least I have a 250 Mb/s internet connection so that's a plus.

After a few years a PC upgrade will be much cheaper and probably better than the Ideal specs. So I can wait while still having a lot of fun with MSFS.

Edited by MaVe64

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

1 hour ago, MaVe64 said:

I'm OK with the recommended specs for now with my old PC on 1080 resolution. At least I have a 250 Mb/s internet connection so that's a plus.

After a few years a PC upgrade will be much cheaper and probably better than the Ideal specs. So I can wait while still having a lot of fun with MSFS.

If having a nice fiber connection is a big plus, it means a lot more data will have to be processed so actually it could create a performance hit... but I could be wrong.

But but they said you do not need internet connection to run MSFS, Why then is connection speed important.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

29 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

But but they said you do not need internet connection to run MSFS, Why then is connection speed important.

There is a huge difference between an application being able to run and performing optimally. You can play the simulator without a connection with access to the offline scenery data, but you will need a high speed to stream the online scenery (what we've been shown in pretty much all the marketing material and tester screenshots) in full detail. That question is similar to "you only need the minimum specs to run the simulator, why is the hardware capability important".

10 minutes ago, boeingcorp said:

does anybody know when they will be sending out invitations again?

ALPHA INVITATIONS

STATUS – New invites will be sent with the release of build 1.3.X.X.

Edited by penta_a

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

Hi everyone

Old timer jumping back in after years, God a decade maybe? LOL hope y'all are doing well & keeping well. Here in Paris things are OK. Like most I'm super pumped for the new MSFS2020. I don't really pay attention to those who say the sim is overhyped & the pictures too pretty. There's sufficient amount of data from beta testers who can at the very least testify to the accuracy of what is posted. I don't think I've ever seen Microsoft market a product so actively, & to be honest I think they are doing it quite well. Even IGN has its radar on the new SIM!

I will definitely be upgrading my rig when the sim releases. I don't really see the point of doing it beforehand. For all we know, this might not even release untl 2021. I do not know how long Beta takes but judging from the Alpha timeline,  don't believe a release will happen until late Fall of this year.

I signed up for the insider program, is it true they only select high end specs? If it's the case that would be surprising. You'd think they would want to test a wide array of machines. I have a 5 year old rig with an i5 6600k, R9 290 & 16 GB of RAM, I am lucky enough to have a very fast internet connection (1 GB/s) so hopefully I'll be selected.

I was wondering if anyone was plannng on getting at least 64 GB of RAM even though ideal settings call for 32? Same question for SSDs, entry level or as fast as possible?

Excited to play this!

Cheers

Will

Edited by canadiantree
  • Like 1

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

1 hour ago, canadiantree said:

I was wondering if anyone was plannng on getting at least 64 GB of RAM even though ideal settings call for 32? Same question for SSDs, entry level or as fast as possible?

Good questions and 2 possibilities here:

Historically, the recommended specs are in fact the minimum specs to keep a correct framerates/quality ratio.

However, with the new tech in place, multi-core usage, trailers we saw... we can seriously imagine MSFS can run very decently with the recommended specs.

• Like 1

@canadiantree Stick with 32GB for now. If a company comes out with some super duper high quality scenery that requires more then you can upgrade then. save some dough and put it into a better gpu in the meantime. As for the SSD, get the fastest one you can.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.