Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

May 14th, 2020 - Development Update

I get around 220 ms ping playing first person shooters on North American servers, Is there anything said in regards of a server in South America? I'm about to hire fiber for $64 us dollars monthly, it Is 1000GB monthly usage, speeding at 300GB down and 30GB up.

I'm also buying tomorrow a Rx480 8GB used for $200 and i'm buying a Saitek throttle new and a ultra Wide monitor too.

1 hour ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Oh. I haven't heard of such a case before. Are we sure that he isn't talking about the neighbourhood sharing a cabinet (which is usually the case with a DSL infrastructure)?

Going way OT here... 

Yeah, I complained and that was when my ISP sent me to their specific bandwidth test webpage and sent me to the link to shared bandwidth which basically stated that I shared my bandwidth with everyone else in my neighborhood and that I only get up to my paid program (60 Mbps) and that during peak periods I will get less. They offer an enterprise plan as well with dedicated bandwidth (pay for 60Mbps and get 60Mbps all of the time) however, based on no fiber in our neighborhood (buried utilities) they don't offer dedicated to my neighborhood. 

At times I had Speedtest.net report 0.3Mbps download speeds. Usually a second test seems to clear things up. I think they have algorithms that watch for bandwidth test websites and adjust things on the fly. 4K UHD movies are a start the movie, pause, go make dinner, and then watch. Usually half way through we still get stutters and I have even had movies downgrade to HD. 

It is so bad I purchased one of those reset devices and attached it to my modem to turn it off and back on every night. Seems to help some but at this point it is too early to tell. 

Edited by KenG

27 minutes ago, KenG said:

Yeah, I complained and that was when my ISP sent me to their specific bandwidth test webpage and sent me to the link to shared bandwidth which basically stated that I shared my bandwidth with everyone else in my neighborhood and that I only get up to my paid program (60 Mbps) and that during peak periods I will get less.

Well this is something I've never seen before, an ISP advertising the speed of such a widely shared connection like that. Sorry if this is the only choice, it must be painful.

2 hours ago, KenG said:

Going way OT here... 

OT for a thread like this.  Might be nice to break the bandwidth posts off into a separate thread.

People with good Internet have no idea what it's like on the bottom and some don't seem to care.  At least if we talk about it people might understand, and who knows... someone might have some solutions.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Well this is something I've never seen before, an ISP advertising the speed of such a widely shared connection like that.

I'll bet you have. 😄

Check the contract for your current ISP.  See if it lists your speed as "Up to...".  I've never seen one that doesn't, but I haven't seen them all.  If you complain to your ISP that your speeds aren't as listed, they'll be quick to point this out.

My speed is "Up to 12 MBps" but occasionally I'll see as high as 16 for short periods of as much as 15 seconds.  Most of the time I get somewhat less than 12.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I'll bet you have. 😄

Check the contract for your current ISP.  See if it lists your speed as "Up to...".  I've never seen one that doesn't, but I haven't seen them all.  If you complain to your ISP that your speeds aren't as listed, they'll be quick to point this out.

No, I don't think so. I've never received information that my bandwidth will be shared with a specific amount of people in my neighbourhood or anything like that. I am on a 8Mbps plan, and I'm hitting 6-7Mbps (there isn't a nearby server to check on though) when the infrastructure is not malfunctioning. There is an "up to 24Mbps" plan, but I cannot attain that speed not because of other people sharing the bandwidth, but because of my distance from the DSLAM. When placing my router's line attenuation value on a calculator, it turns up with a speed of ~8Mbps which is in line with what I'm getting. people living very close to the DSLAM can hit a speed of 24Mbps consistently (there is only one ADSL infrastructure shared by all the ISPs in my hometown so I have good information on this). It is completely based on distance. So no, this is an entirely different thing that I've never heard before.

53 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

No, I don't think so. I've never received information that my bandwidth will be shared with a specific amount of people in my neighbourhood or anything like that. I am on a 8Mbps plan, and I'm hitting 6-7Mbps (there isn't a nearby server to check on though) when the infrastructure is not malfunctioning. There is an "up to 24Mbps" plan, but I cannot attain that speed not because of other people sharing the bandwidth, but because of my distance from the DSLAM. When placing my router's line attenuation value on a calculator, it turns up with a speed of ~8Mbps which is in line with what I'm getting. people living very close to the DSLAM can hit a speed of 24Mbps consistently (there is only one ADSL infrastructure shared by all the ISPs in my hometown so I have good information on this). It is completely based on distance. So no, this is an entirely different thing that I've never heard before.

Shared internet connection usually is described as "agregation 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50..." in contract with ISP. It means, that your internet connection may be shared with up to 5, 10, 20, 50... other users. In most time you get maximum speed according to the contract, but in high internet load period (from afternoon to evening usually) the ISP may legally slow down your connection speed, up to 1/5, 1/10, 1/20, 1/50... of contracted speed.

Edited by ludekbrno

2 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Shared internet connection usually is described as "agregation 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50..." in contract with ISP. It means, that your internet connection may be shared with up to 5, 10, 20, 50... other users. In most time you get maximum speed according to the contract, but in high internet load period (from afternoon to evening usually) the ISP may your connection speed slow down up to 1/5, 1/10, 1/20, 1/50... of contracted speed.

I get it now, but I don't think anything like this exists in my country, and I've definitely never heard of that before. In here the connection speed is almost always dependent on the distance from the DSLAM, usually placed in the town centre. Is such a contract common in the US?

I get it now, but I don't think anything like this exists in my country, and I've definitely never heard of that before. In here the connection speed is almost always dependent on the distance from the DSLAM, usually placed in the town centre. Is such a contract common in the US?

I don't know, as in USA, I am in the Czech Republic 🙂 In my country aggregation is common in contracts for DSL internet connection type.

Why is it that the update threads quickly gets out of hand with many of the same things over and over again. Yes, things like undulated (i guess that means sloped) runways, Internet speed, alpha invites etc. seem to take over,instead of discussing what's in the update like, fixes,known issues etc.

Yes, Internet speed will certaintly be a problem for some, but please start a seperate  thread about it then.

The same goes for sloped runways and invites (which I see there already are threads about).

I'm looking forward to the weekly updates and see what people think about it, but I don't like reading through the same topics every week about things that shouldn't belong in the thread.

We can speculate all we want about MSFS, but untill now only the alpha testers (and MS/Asobo) can answer what's actually in the sim, and none of them are allowed to,or won't

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

14 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I live in a « country with low bandwidth ». It is called France, a village off the Côte d’Azur 😏 and I would certainly welcome a physical media to carry the new sim as it will take days to download FS20 with my present internet access both ADSL and 4g. 

If not, and I do not hold my breath knowing that there is little chance that the the sim comes on a SSD sold by the MS shop, I hope that the MS delivery will allow to download the sim on one computer to install and register it on another computer. And that the cache will allow pre-flight manual downloads .

Dominique j'habite la région parisienne. En effet on s'habitue vite au comfort du très haut débit. Il y a encore un an j'étais sur de l'ADSL à 4 MB ! 

J'espère qu'il sera possible de recevoir le jeu sous format physique pour tous ceux qui en auront besoin. 

• Like 1

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

Since last Alpha build, more than 7600 generic airports have been updated and improved. This update mainly consists in the implementation of:

• Taxiways logic and visuals
  • Surface types on airports runways, taxiways and aprons (First Pass)
  • Aircrafts parking spots
  • Ground markings on taxiways and aprons
  • Other minor visual improvements
  • All of this is based on Bing Aerial imagery

This mean that finally we will have the runways textured similar to their corresponding Bing aerial texture, WoW! is that what they meant? So never again all runways will looks the same OMG😀

Edited by adino
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, adino said:

This mean that finally we will have the runways textured similar to their corresponding Bing aerial texture, WoW! is that what they meant? So never again all runways will looks the same OMG😀

I wouldn't expect to see unique runway textures in generic airports based on that. They have a set of generic surface types in their airport editor and it most likely just means that due to their work you'll more likely see a generic representation of the surface type where such surface type is used in real life.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KenG said:

When I purchased and downloaded Office 2019 I selected the backup USB ($19.95.)

Woah!  I just realized something.  If Microsoft offers Office on physical media then they'll almost certainly offer MSFS on physical media as well.  If it takes more than one 256 gig drive, so be it. 😄 

This is good news for everyone with limited bandwidth.  It means we won't be locked out of buying the sim.  I just wish I knew this when MSFS was first announced.

So... Internet by postal carrier.  Lousy latency but near unlimited bandwidth!

Life is good.  Thanks KenG.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 hours ago, Kopteeni said:

I wouldn't expect to see unique runway textures in generic airports based on that. They have a set of generic surface types in their airport editor and it most likely just means that due to their work you'll more likely see a generic representation of the surface type where such surface type is used in real life.

oooh...thnx for raining my parade😋

• Like 1