• Unlimited (no VSYNC)
    • Unlimited (VSYNC 30Hz Monitor)
    • Unlimited (VSYNC >30Hz Monitor)
    • Unlimited + RTSS (scanline sync)
    • Unlimited + RTSS (framerate limit)
    • Unlimited + Nvidia control panel framerate limit
    • Unlimited + Nvidia inspector framerate limit
    • P3D internal framerate limit
    • Combination of internal and external limiter (external fps < internal fps)
    • Other setup
  2. 2. What is your frame rate limit?

• < 20 fps
    • 20-29 fps
    • 30 fps
    • 60 fps
    • Other limit

19 minutes ago, kaha said:

Everything said here also applies to V5? Or are you talking V4 only? I still extenally limit fps in V5, so I wonder if I'd better get rid of it?

I no longer have P3Dv4.5 - only v5. I've been following this thread for a while - enough to make my [old] head hurt (!!) ... but I eventually persuaded myself to give it a try.

I have a 60MHz (only) monitor and used RTSS Framerate 0 and Scanline/2 and -1. I made sure that vsync and triple buffering were turned off throughout (NV Control Panel, NVI and in P3D) and checked the P3Dv5 limiter was set to "unlimited".

I still get some tearing, but the overall result does seem more fluid. I didn't really get bad stutters before anyway - but certainly didn't get them with this RTSS experiment. Definitely worth a try, IMHO!!!

Being on a bit of a roll, I applied the same logic (and settings) to XP11 but got much more tearing - and it seemed more sluggish overall. Maybe XP11 needs a whole different set of settings.

Thanks to all the contributors here, who have given us all so much detailed information 🙂

Adam.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

34 minutes ago, kaha said:

Everything said here also applies to V5? Or are you talking V4 only? I still extenally limit fps in V5, so I wonder if I'd better get rid of it?

Karl

My own test applies to V5 only, but in my opinion the results should be transferable to V4 too...

It's worth a try 😉

Marc Weber

9 hours ago, Mischung said:

Hi Bert,

that's what I thought at first too, but there seems to be an easy explanation 😉

Using the NVCP limiter wll show your "real" CPU usage/load, so you can use it to check your settings.
In my case the CPU was between 40-60%, so this should be fine.

But the results with RTSS are much better regarding fluctuations and all methods have the same loading stutters at the same position in flight.
So even the CPU usage goes up to 100% it does not harm at all and here is why:

RTSS is limiting the frame rate by introducing wait cycles to the rendering task (usually core 0). These wait cycles will be shown in task-manager as CPU-load, but it is not real (also worth reading Link). I would assume it will also not change CPU-temperatures etc, but I will check that again in the sim 🤓

Well, based on that, I went back to my trusty old RTSS x/2 method, and must say that it wins on smoothness.  If I can just resist the urge to open Task Manager, this method wins out for me also  🙂

• Like 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Mischung said:

My own test applies to V5 only, but in my opinion the results should be transferable to V4 too...

It's worth a try 😉

I have used both methods in V4 and V5, and they work equally, as best I can tell.

• Like 1

Bert

Posted (edited)

Sorry to resuscitate this thread … I’ve been searching for a 30Hz capable monitor but without success. Could you guys recommend me one ?

Thanks

Eduardo

Edited by DuduGuimaraes

@DuduGuimaraes, I have the BenQ PD3200U which supports 30Hz natively. Highly recommended.

https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/professional/pd3200u/buy.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@DuduGuimaraes, yes, that's it. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, DuduGuimaraes said:

Perfect. Thanks ! 

Let us know how you feel about it. The build quality is superb as is the image quality. A good monitor is a sound investment and will last years. I’ve had mine for over five years and the SpyderPro calibration software still reports 100% sRGB. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Let us know how you feel about it. The build quality is superb as is the image quality. A good monitor is a sound investment and will last years. I’ve had mine for over five years and the SpyderPro calibration software still reports 100% sRGB. 👍

Will let you know for sure !

What would be the best solution for me with a 100FPS GSync monitor?

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Posted (edited)

What about my case with a Basic 60Hz not Gsync monitor?

I had opted for setting Vsync through NCP since I was told activating it from the sim menu will tax it's performance... Although in p3dv6 I haver to enable it in-sim tio...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

What about my case with a Basic 60Hz not Gsync monitor?

That poll was made when monitors like yours were the majority, and those who could run at 30 Hz were a rare exception. The results are fully applicable to your case.

5 hours ago, Juliett Alfa Romeo said:

What would be the best solution for me with a 100FPS GSync monitor?

Right now I'm managing with Noel's method (RTSS frame limit with front-edge sync). I thought I had finally solved the issue with 30 FPS in my monitor, but now is acting up again. I had to settle with 32 FPS in the meantime. If only there was a FG or AFMF mod for P3D...

• Like 2

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.