Sign in to follow this  
cepact

Could third parties add photogrammetry from Google ?

6 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

I'm curious about Bing Maps. Aren't they constantly adding more cities to the list of 3D locations? It seems like it's just going to keep getting better and better after MSFS 2020 is released.

yep, they already have 2 "world updates" on the roadmap, i can only assume they intend to update the bing maps for them or there would be no point in re doing the game map

Edited by AirWayMan

3 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

I'm curious about Bing Maps. Aren't they constantly adding more cities to the list of 3D locations? It seems like it's just going to keep getting better and better after MSFS 2020 is released.

In all the questions we have about  MSFS the glaring one for me is what cities and when will we see them updated. There has been literally not a word about it but so much rides on those updates coming into the simulator. London for instance would be transformed with it. Let’s hope Asobo can give us more info around it soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AirWayMan said:

yep, they already have 2 "world updates" on the roadmap, i can only assume they intend to update the bing maps for them or there would be no point in re doing the game map

Have I missed that? Any quotes on it?

well they changed it :L but i got it from here some time ago (maybe 3 weeks)
image0.jpg

it still shows one but even that is renamed to "World/Airport Data Offsets" w/e that means 😄
originally it just showed 2 that where named "World Update" maybe they already did one idk

Edited by AirWayMan
  • Like 1

I was wondering the same things, and was actually going to make a post on this same topic. Google simply has way more photogrametry locations than Bing. I understand Microsoft wouldn't want Google data addons on their marketplace, but I see no reason why an independent 3rd party couldn't offer free addons elsewhere using Google data.

Hopefully Bing will continue to get more photogrametry data though. Especially in countries other than the US.

It's unlikely. 

What may be possible is an Ortho4XP type tool which allows people to import their own satellite imagery locally if they feel Bing's orthos look bad or are low resolution. But the photogrammetry data has never been successfully ported into XP11 and I doubt it happens with MSFS. 

What Google has also keenly done is they've let 3D hobbyists all over the world help them populate Google Earth with 3D buildings and structures. Anyone can create a 3D building and send it to Google for approval. They decide if it's good enough to be placed on Google Earth.

They're all available for download here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/

Type in any name of a well known building and chances are you'll find multiple. Only one, the best in the eyes of Google, is placed on Google Earth, until it's replaced by 3D photogrammetry.  Of course I did my own house and it was approved and also did a couple of buildings in my home town that were approved, which was fun, until my city was completely done in 3D by Google.

Now, if only this file format can be used in the MSFS SDK then we can place a whole lot of buildings ourselves.

Edited by RudyB24
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

I had this crazy thoughts, maybe X-Plane will team up with Google Earth to battle the MSFS. That'll be really fun for all of us. 

I have like 10TB Ortho4XP tiles covering all US and Canada. Ironically all made from Bing images. So I guess MSFS land images will look quite familiar to me once I fly it. 

Edited by FlyIce
  • Upvote 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

24 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

I had this crazy thoughts, maybe X-Plane will team up with Google Earth to battle the MSFS. That'll be really fun for all of us. 

I have like 10TB Ortho4XP tiles covering all US and Canada. Ironically all made from Bing images. So I guess MSFS land images will look quite familiar to me once I fly it. 

Did you watch the threshold video where Austin talks about the release of MSFS? He couldn't care less about improving things to compete with MSFS. Sure the other guys behind X-Plane could convince him, but I doubt they would have the money to license google's data.

Edited by ca_metal

I was hoping that things may go around differently this time: triggered by MSFS, it's now Google who wants to leverage their huge map database by making a similar whole earth simulation system. If so, either Google does the simulation from scratch by themselves, or their best grab would be X-Plane. 

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, FlyIce said:

I was hoping that things may go around differently this time: triggered by MSFS, it's now Google who wants to leverage their huge map database by making a similar whole earth simulation system. If so, either Google does the simulation from scratch by themselves, or their best grab would be X-Plane. 

Even if they decide to develop their own Earth model, why they would have to develop a flight simulator? What would be so interesting for Google on a FSim?

I fail to see what would make the two companies to partner on those terms you say (letting Laminar use their data and infrastructure to stream the imagery and photogrammetry). Besides that all I've said, which I think already makes it impossible to happen, Google doesn't have an AI working on the planet. Microsoft is using the AI to map the planet for a while now. Why would Google spend money on AI, to Scan the World? Just to develop a Flight Simulator? Google doesn't have gaming Studios like Microsoft. Microsoft can use this tech on other games.

Everything could happen, sure. Before E3 2019 I thought it would be impossible to have a FSim using all this tech MS/Asobo are using on MSFS. But I think it would be really hard to see Laminar and Google partnering on such a project. It wouldn't be interesting for Laminar nor Google. 

Edited by ca_metal

Imagine if Microsoft/Bing released a program that avid users would be willing to purchase (for, say, $60, $90, or $120), and allow those users to roam around a Bing generated world, and provide free feedback back to Microsoft/Bing to advise where their 3D data or imagery needs correcting....

🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cepact said:

seems like it wouldn't be impossible to do this. But since it's Google imagery it has to be freeware since selling it would be illegal. 

Freeware distribution would be a breach of copyright too. Google may tolerate it as it does when we use a patch of GE for a scenery or not.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I don't know if all of you know, but there is a "flight sim" built into Google Earth. You can even use a joystick and throttle. There are two planes, a fast jet and a slower plane. There's a HUD,  but there's no cockpit and there are no external camera's. But hey ... it's free ... and the tree sizes are right! 🙂

Fly over London, or Manhatten, and notice the differences with MSFS. Also Washington is in 3D, but for the forbidden to fly over areas.

Landing at Sion Switzerland in Google Earth.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation