Sign in to follow this  
maniamcool

This is a game, not a sim.

7 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Even XP is miles away from capturing that feeling!

XP doesn't model the affect of changes in environmental air on the airframe surfaces. MSFS does. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding. Really great feel.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Just now, Slides said:

XP doesn't model the affect of changes in environmental air on the airframe surfaces. MSFS does. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding. Really great feel.

Correct. That is the one major missing part of XP11's flight dynamics. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slides said:

Yeah, when I get it flying stable, the feeling is unbeatable!

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Nah, it's a good flight sim, but with many gaming elements to make it fun and accessible too. And really, if it did not have those, the investment would never got a green light. So it's the price you pay for not staying with ESP-based sim; but even an old ESP-based sim has some fantastic add-ons. The same will be true for the new sim. 

Think of it like a new band, they can create great album tracks, but they need to be a bit more commercial on the singles, otherwise they'll never get a record deal. When they've got the record deal and made some money and got a fan base, then they can afford to go and do their avant-garde triple concept album.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

10 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

very edge of the envelope characteristics

No sim can do justice to these edge cases without scripting or lookup tables. It's too difficult to model this in real-time. 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Just now, Slides said:

Exactly. The major difference is that in MSFS, the air is dynamic, meaning it’s something that actually exists as a medium that flows around and affects your plane, in addition to the airflow over the aircraft control surfaces.

In blade element theory flight model, the air only exists as a medium around the aircraft, so the interaction with surrounding air is only limited to your control surfaces and not the environment around you. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sethos said:

It's funny seeing how all those years of third party content has warped people's sense of what the base sims actually were and what they offered. 

Yes a very good point that..

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

Seems like a better sim than we've ever had to me far more realistic flight model (for default planes),better graphics ect. But what I know I'm only CFI,CFII,MEI and have 2000 hours of actual flight time..... In airline training I flew the ERJ170 sim to me the fight dynamics are pretty much on par with that $30,000,000 sim...

• Like 4

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

34 minutes ago, maniamcool said:

What are your thoughts? 

Personally, I think this is a game targeted for casual gamers who seek to be impressed by amazing graphics and give little thought to the intricacies of simming. 

The numerous bugs despite reports in beta and alpha by hardcore simmers just shows which group Asobo is catering to. 

I do hope this changes with future updates, otherwise this will die off similar to Microsoft Flight. 

Well, I see after just a few hours you can foresee the future outcome and know the inner workings of a game studio in France. Truly, supernatural powers, well done lad.

• Upvote 1

Eric 

I'm blown away. It's an amazing flight sim, the flight model of the default Katana is pretty close to what I'm used to in the real one (hey, it's default!!!) and the weather is oputstanding. The menues and AAAAALL above the control assignents desperately need work. A lot of work. But what I got here is WOW! I have a i7 6700k and a 1080TI and set most things to high, some things to ultra, it looks BEAUTIFULLY and runs aaaabsolutly smooth at 30FPS. well, 4k and hence no texture supersampling needed 😄 any supersamling and the sim lags though. But wel, 4k doesn't need it 😄  word not allowed I'm happy as f***

As soon as the PMDGs and FSLs land I'll get a new rig... but until then? VFR orgies 😄

Edit: my spelling needs work too. but I fly 😛

oh and the views. TrackIR needs more attention, the available system really messes with it.

Edited by Ephedrin
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Slides said:

XP doesn't model the affect of changes in environmental air on the airframe surfaces. MSFS does. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding.

Blade-Elephant theory, historically has tended to be a bad idea 🤣

th?id=OIP.JcJ5POKmi2_3QtnjrCQ5EAHaDS&pid

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

8 minutes ago, Chock said:

Nah, it's a good flight sim, but with many gaming elements to make it fun and accessible too. And really, if it did not have those, the investment would never got a green light. So it's the price you pay for not staying with ESP-based sim; but even an old ESP-based sim has some fantastic add-ons. The same will be true for the new sim. 

Think of it like a new band, they can create great album tracks, but they need to be a bit more commercial on the singles, otherwise they'll never get a record deal. When they've got the record deal and made some money and got a fan base, then they can afford to go and do their avant-garde triple concept album.

I was up at 12, the back up at 5am this morning Alan.

Never in the close to 30 years could we ever dream of this. One flight I did today was Scotland, real world weather the 172 Steam version, to say it was breath taking is an understatement.

I have an old PC I run "highend" only use the 152/172/the amazing Ultra and even over London I get 45FPS. The sim is a dream come true people as they always do pick fault. Well personally I could not only be happier but over the moon at how it performs.

I am thinking of PM Howard,Ron etc for a night of multiplayer would you be interested Alan?

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Just now, Nyxx said:

I am thinking of PM Howard,Ron etc for a night of multiplayer would you be interested Alan?

At some point yes I'd love to, but other things will be intervening this evening unfortunately, so tonight is out. Any other time though, yup. Sounds like fun. 🙂

Alan Bradbury

15 minutes ago, Chock said:

Nah, it's a good flight sim, but with many gaming elements to make it fun and accessible too.

This is a very valuable view, coming from you. First I like your Youtube content (not so much to do with the topic lol) and second I think you have tons of RL flying experience that some of us can only dream about.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Just now, Chock said:

At some point yes I'd love to, but other things will be intervening this evening unfortunately, so tonight is out. Any other time though, yup. Sounds like fun. 🙂

No idea Alan, we were going to do a DCS muti but never got round to it, so I need to PM etc and try and sort out a time and date to suit everyone. I will PM you Alan and see if Ron and Howard have got it etc. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip