Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

What the heck was going on in Alpha/Beta?

5 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Step by step guide please 😁

How do I exclude a non existent airport that is a big grass field ?

...And then build runways and include ILS data that will be read by the sim's Nav database ? And will it be overridden when the default database is updated?

So many questions !

I don't know enough for a step by step guide....like I said I'm still figuring this out.  The only thing I know is that it's fundamentally different than FSX or P3D.  It's not going to be learned in a day or a week....

5 hours ago, robert young said:

Hi Brandon, I'm having a simlar problem editing aircraft too using the SDK. I put it down to my misunderstanding of the editor. The documentation says load the aircraft and it automatically opens in the "aircraft editot". But nothing happens.There are no parameters to edit. There is a debug mode which is just a list, and there's a blanked out "save and reset" which is supposed to reload the aircraft with the edits. This would be much easier than doing what I am at the moment, which is to quit the sim, edit the aircraft manually in a text format then reload the entire sim. So each edit takes about 15 minutes, when it should take 30 seconds.

Are you finding the same thing with airports?

I am not an aircraft designer at all so I don't know anything specific to aircraft.  I was able to use the in-sim tools for airports but there is also some text editing to do outside the sim for things like custom 3d models and getting them into the sim.  I don't know if that's the "correct way" as ASOBO designed it but it's what works for now and was found out by other people.  I would suggest you keep tabs on fsdeveloper.com and also the SDK category of the official MSFS Forums.  People are slowly figuring things out in there.  I am just doing alot of reading right now and trial and error.

On 8/18/2020 at 11:29 PM, norman_99 said:

I apologise, you’re right, it’s not the testers fault. I let my frustrations get the better of me. I guess I had higher expectations as I’d heard nothing but praise from the testers over the last 12 months. 

Then you were not paying very good attention, because some of us did our best to let people here know of the state of this sim, as best we could within the NDA (I may have even cracked the NDA a bit, but I wanted people here to know the truth).

On July 18th (a month before release) I posted:

"I think too many are expecting too much from this new sim at release . . . on day 1. The thing is, we're barely in Beta and there are still some rough edges that need to be ironed out.

Too many here are pushing tor VR, or seasons, or helicopters, or advanced ATC, when things like basic flight dynamics are still being tweaked at every build. What Asobo has done so far is amazing! But they need to remain focused on the basic core sim before working on any of the extras. Eventually I expect that all the things on the wish list will be added, but don't expect them on August 18th."

• Like 8

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I am only now reading this thread because of a holiday stay. However, it occurred to me:

Wouldn't it have been nice to meet here with an official MS representative giving answers directly to their valued customers whom they promised to interact with closely in the future?

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This whole debacle would have so easily been "understood" if ONLY they would have indicated that this was an early access released. As to why they didn't, well I don't have that answer.

I'm I the only one that for without a doubt expected this to be release with problems and bug, even then I'm totally happy with what they have done what I got.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I'll be honest guys its been such a crappy year for everyone with COVID, mass unemployment, lockdown you name it.  My outlook on life is much better as a result.   What Asobo have given us here is a glimpse of the future, sure there are rough edges, sure some of the dynamics are a bit wiffy.  But over this last week or so I've had more fun in this sim than anything else before.  We just all need to be patient and stop bitching about everything - real life is full of cr*p at the minute some of you guys really need to lighten up a little. 

Edited by sidfadc
  • Like 7

Thomas Derbyshire

I returned it for 4 reasons: 

-I'm scared of the installation issues.  I'm not about to let this program compromise my P3D install by screwing up windows.

-I'm tired of tweaking.  I've spent sooo much time tweaking, researching, changing, updating, chasing stutters, CTD, etc. etc. I do this sometimes more than I fly.  I don't want another game I have to do that with.

-I'm scared they won't fix the issues.  They promised us a great product, which didn't happen, so why should I believe they will support?  Which leads me to...

-Moreover & mostly out of principle.  I'm so angry at DEV. constantly shoving these broken programs at us...and sorta expecting us to be happy/satisfied/grateful.  CS, Carenado, Aerosoft, now ORBX.  It's actually kind of insulting.  What did I do wrong?  Why do I deserve this kinda treatment?  Since this is a hobby I truly love despite frustrations, it's kind of hard not to take it personal - especially after I hand them my cash.  I'm over it. 

Gamers want eye candy and graphics.  Simmers want realism and depth.  And we know where MSFS stands. 

At the core of aviation are airports and airplanes.  Neither of which MSFS can deliver without issue.

Edited by Dreamflight767
  • Like 5

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

28 minutes ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I returned it for 4 reasons: 

-I'm scared of the installation issues.  I'm not about to let this program compromise my P3D install by screwing up windows.

-I'm tired of tweaking.  I've spent sooo much time tweaking, researching, changing, updating, chasing stutters, CTD, etc. etc. I do this sometimes more than I fly.  I don't want another game I have to do that with.

-I'm scared they won't fix the issues.  They promised us a great product, which didn't happen, so why should I believe they will support?  Which leads me to...

-Moreover & mostly out of principle.  I'm so angry at DEV. constantly shoving these broken programs at us...and sorta expecting us to be happy/satisfied/grateful.  CS, Carenado, Aerosoft, now ORBX.  It's actually kind of insulting.  What did I do wrong?  Why do I deserve this kinda treatment?  Since this is a hobby I truly love despite frustrations, it's kind of hard not to take it personal - especially after I hand them my cash.  I'm over it. 

Gamers want eye candy and graphics.  Simmers want realism and depth.  And we know where MSFS stands. 

At the core of aviation are airports and airplanes.  Neither of which MSFS can deliver without issue.

I’m scared of the drama in this thread

• Like 3

Thomas Derbyshire

17 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

I’m scared of the drama in this thread

Tbf, he has raised fair points. It's hardly dramatic expecting a product that when you buy it, it works. In most other industries or line of work releasing to customers unfinished products riddled with issues would see a company reprimanded. Its not too much to ask that when you buy a product it should be fully operational and not a laborious task that requires hours of in-depth technical knowledge to set up and understand. 

It's sad that the half-baked attitude that pervades the gaming industry is just accepted by people now.

• Like 2

I agree, honestly. The only real defense MS has here is “it’s how everyone else does it too” — which is true! And also bad!

In that sense I would say both that 1) this release is not much bumpier than a lot of other recent ambitious AAA releases and 2) that state of affairs should make customers mad.

James

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FPStewy said:

This whole debacle

What debacle? Hundreds and thousands of gamers are flying this sim, posting videos, etc. The thing has bugs, yes, a few showstoppers, yes, but, I'll say it again: the game is barely out two weeks. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I'm scared they won't fix the issues.  They promised us a great product, which didn't happen, so why should I believe they will support?

This, oooh so much this.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

I'm not going to worry about the future of MSFS until I see the first couple of patches.  

It was obvious close to the end of Beta when the release was announced as early as it was that they weren't going to be able to fix the outstanding issues... and there were a lot of outstanding issues.  The community has already started fixing things and it has only just begun.

Even in its current state, MSFS can be magical.  I haven't seen a terrain anomaly in several days, although I saw my share of them before that.  Even when there were problems, even serious ones, all I could think of when flying was how amazing it all was.

I'm willing to give Asobo the benefit of the doubt at this point, although I may not be as optimistic as I once was.  I'd prefer to give them the chance.  Even if they close up shop after the first patch (which is exceedingly unlikely) we've still got an amazing flight simulator, at least for GA flying.  I'm expecting good things from third parties, too.  I intend to wait and see.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

CTD's on about 80% of the full flights I attempt. I have over 200 hours in DCS beta releases and I can count the number of Crash to desktops on one hand in the last 6 months. There are so many problems with MFS Im not sure if they can address them all. All I can say is Im terribly disappointed

Edited by Denwagg

Denwagg

Steam MSFS 2020. Process Lasso, Acronis True Image Backup.

I9-11900k @ 5.1, Corsair 1000 RMx PS, Corsair H150I RGB Pro Cooling, NZXT 710i, Asus Rog Strix Z590-E MB,  Asus RTX 3080 TI TUFF 12GB VRAM,  Corsair 32GB 4000 DDR4 XMP 2.0, 2- NVME 1gb 970 EVO Plus's,1-2gb 970 EVO Plus, 2gb WD SSD (Offline Backup)  2-27" 1080p monitors, 32" 1440p monitor, Virpil MT-50CM2 base with Warthog Hotas joystick,  2 Cougar MFD's, TPR Rudder, Virpil MT-CM3 Throttle , Track IR, Fiber Optic Internet 500 Mbps, 1200 W UPS, HP Reverb G2

24 minutes ago, Denwagg said:

CTD's on about 80% of the full flights I attempt. I have over 200 hours in DCS beta releases and I can count the number of Crash to desktops on one hand in the last 6 months. There are so many problems with MFS Im not sure if they can address them all. All I can say is Im terribly disappointed

Looks like a bad installation or MSFS is pushing your overlock 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub