Sign in to follow this  
qacmemphis

X-Plane vs MFS 2020

21 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

If you don't have PMDG, or FS Labs aircraft in a sim than its not a simulator.

Joke post?  It has to be. Your missing a smiley though.

🤪

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, qacmemphis said:

I just downloaded MFS and played it for an hour or so. For people who are wondering, how it compares to X-Plane 11 - it really doesn't. MFS feels like a game. The only hyped thing about - the 2 PB graphics - they are surely better than X-Plane, but nothing amazing (I am talking not about special places like N.Y. or so, but actual random cities, which were not hand crafted). MFS doesnt have (or at least I wasnt able to find) "Cold startup", the controls with keyboard and mouse are possible, but only by using keyboard to steer (system doesnt seem to detect GlovePIE virtual joystick). Rudder also goes full left - center - full right. No inbetween like in X-Plane. Of course, if you have full joystick or even hotas you dont care about that, but I do. The camera controls are very dull, overally it feels just like a game. If you like X-Plane for its simulation capabilities and not graphical awesomeness - dont even look at MFS. The menu too looks like it belongs to a game, not a proper simulator. Personally I missed mostly the "Cold start" option and mouse steering.

For me it's quite simple.

Enjoy each sim you use and accept it for what it is now and what it becomes with ongoing updates. I use  Xplane, P3dv5.1 and MSFS2020.

As no sim is perfect, I can flip between each depending on what type of flying I want to do.

Stu

• Like 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

1 hour ago, Bunchy said:

For me it's quite simple.

Enjoy each sim you use and accept it for what it is now and what it becomes with ongoing updates. I use  Xplane, P3dv5.1 and MSFS2020.

As no sim is perfect, I can flip between each depending on what type of flying I want to do.

Stu

You do realise you are arguing with a Troll post from the 20th August, like 6 weeks ago 😄

• Like 1

It is all personal. What, as an individual do you want? 

I want aircraft that require the use of procedures from cold and dark to landing and shutting down. You can do that in MSFS but nothing works as in real life. My experience has been, the more sophisticated the aircraft the worse it performs the basic functions.

Regardless, the scenery and weather are fantastic and very realistic. The aircraft will come but as I said yesterday it is a great aviation game. For the serious practice of IFR procedures, I will use X-Plane. For fun, and entertainment MSFS is my choice.

We are all very fortunate.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sobor said:

It is all personal. What, as an individual do you want? 

I want aircraft that require the use of procedures from cold and dark to landing and shutting down. You can do that in MSFS but nothing works as in real life. My experience has been, the more sophisticated the aircraft the worse it performs the basic functions.

Regardless, the scenery and weather are fantastic and very realistic. The aircraft will come but as I said yesterday it is a great aviation game. For the serious practice of IFR procedures, I will use X-Plane. For fun, and entertainment MSFS is my choice.

We are all very fortunate.

You can start any MSFS cold and dark and shut it down after (in case you were not aware).  I can fly instruments approaches right now even with outdated database. Yes there are lot of them missing, but it will be fixed either way by Navigraph ot Asobo.

Now, you are saying MSFS is for entertainment  while XP11 is not ?LOL Can you log your instrument time in XP11? No! You can't log  instrument  time in MSFS either. Other than training aid both sims purely are entertaining and fun 🙂

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

55 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Now, you are saying MSFS is for entertainment  while XP11 is not ?LOL Can you log your instrument time in XP11? No! You can't log  instrument  time in MSFS either. Other than training aid both sims purely are entertaining and fun 🙂

I wouldn´t say that is entirely accurate.

https://www.x-plane.com/pro/certified/

11 minutes ago, Janov said:

Being a  flight instructor I'm well aware what it takes to certify X-plane as BATD or FDT (at least in US), but out of the box it's just like any other sim. So no! However, I can  agree that generally speaking using $$$$$$ XP11, MSFS and even FSX can be converted to at least BATD.

In fact my friend (retired TWA pilot) worked for a company that use XP11 visual as a part of their AATD with their own hardware and custom code for particular aircraft they featured

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Janov said:

From that same website..

Certification requires not only that the user have the certified X-Plane software, but also certified hardware (cockpit and flight controls) available through companies like Precision Flight Controls and Fidelity. This is because flight training systems can only be certified as a complete package (a software and hardware combination). The certified software is available for $500 to $1,000 per copy from PFC and Fidelity and the hardware runs from $5,000 to $500,000.

Hardly comparable to a base MSFS2020 is it? 🙂   Maybe in a few years MSFS will have a solution to this that also only costs somewhere below  $500,000 all-in.  Even the base cost of the flightsim without controls is $500 - $1000  again.. not a comparison.

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

I'm going to post it again, This is FAA certified ATD. I've used it in the past and it stinks LOL

https://flyelite.com/product/pi-135/

This one was the most advanced  certified sim I ever tried by the way

https://www.frasca.com/reconfigurable-training-device-rtd/

Fortunately for me though being GA pilot all currency related flight are made in real aircraft . My last instrument proficiency  was last week 3 approaches in 172 and 3 +1 hold in Be35. That was a second time I used autopilot in my life LOL

image0.jpg?width=1655&height=1241

I did work for a flight academy setting p a sim among other things. After months of research we decided it was pretty much impossible to build your own BATD using X-plane.

We ended up buying a Redbird BATD for $14,000.00 and it is based on P3D. There are X-plane BATD and AATD FAA certified sims as well but they cost more. And they are not just base X-plane or P3D.

I am sure in a while there will be BATDs available from FS2020 modifications as well.

As a Pilot I find FS2020 much more entertaining to fly, I put up with the updates and limited planes but the experience is so close to what I love about real flying, exploring low down and doing hard IFR in very realistic WX. Nothing comes close to the graphics and WX in FS2020.

Bu that is just me and my experience. Your tastes may differ and that is fine with me.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

16 minutes ago, zakimk1962 said:

History Vs Future

Cheers

More like tortoise and the hare.At the  rate Asobo is working....Well you know how it ends