Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Feeling bad for Laminar and others

I never said it looked crappy, I don't think it does. I think it was a first failed attempt because some areas are borderline "Bad", and some are good and some look very good. However, the amount of areas that look very good are kind of small areas from what I've seen, but I haven't done enough flights yet to know for sure.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

Garmin is a Nasdaq company and had over 3 billion in sales, they are hardly a small company on the order of Xplane which has sales in the low millions. I doubt Xplane could pay Google enough to license the imagery.

Yes. Garmin started out on day one as a $3 billion dollar company. I also noticed you didn't mention Tom-Tom, Cobra (a literal family business) and Rand McNally (among MANY others) who also license their map data. Somehow they manage it. Also, does anyone keep noticing how the ball keeps moving? What happened to Google doesn't care about games? 

Edited by Agrajag
  • Like 1

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

They care about games if they have some control, Google may or may not be willing to license the imagery to Xplane, we have no idea. That however is only one problem of several for Xplane to get into providing that stuff. 

Microsoft has a huge addon market that they can make a percentage from all the revenue in this thing, Xplane messed that up a long time ago. Xplane has made numerous bad business decisions, there is no doubt about that. 

However, the guy owns a plane or two and I drive a Dodge, so who am I to question his business decisions.

2 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

However, the guy owns a plane or two and I drive a Dodge, so who am I to question his business decisions.

hehehe. The number of truly stupid people I've met in my time that have a lot of cash isn't a small list. A good friend of mine is worth a small fortune. He worked his TAIL off and sold his company to HP for $440 million back in the 90s. Then he went on to run 6 other companies into the ground. He told me a number of years ago that he finally had to admit that, contrary to what he hoped was true, it wasn't his brilliance that made him that money. It was being in the right place at the right time. Sure the hard work was a good part of it, but really it came down to luck and he had it for that deal. I could point out some other blatantly obvious examples, but then this would get political and we should avoid that. Let's just say 99.9% of us know you don't need ID to buy food. So, who are you? You're a guy with the ability to see the facts and research. If money is how you measure someone then..... that's just sad.

• Like 2

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

It's not how I measure things, but seems to be how everyone else does. Perhaps I should build Zplane version 1.0, however I have to warn you that the physics are going to be a pretty wild guess based on me throwing paper airplanes around and seeing how far they can go.

5 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

It's not how I measure things, but seems to be how everyone else does.

We don't know each other, so I can only go by what you write here. Let's say we've covered all the ground and put this to bed.

• Like 2

Xplane 11 is a very good simulator... It gives the feel you fly a plane, very good flight dynamics, especially with free add ons, like zibo... 

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

41 minutes ago, spitzer45 said:

Xplane 11 is a very good simulator... It gives the feel you fly a plane, very good flight dynamics, especially with free add ons, like zibo... 

No one is arguing against that, for the most part. What we're talking about is what impact this new product will have on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SceneryFX said:

I don't care about access to the entire world, as much of the Ortho stuff is much higher quality in other parts of the world and doesn't even need color corrected. Why do you think TE Great Britain looked so good, not because Orbx color corrected it to death, but because the Ortho was superior in the first place.

There is plenty more where that came from, and in multiple countries. Actually the US has some of the worst Ortho other than the third-world countries.

I am glad that some of those “third-world” countries have better Ortho than the US actually.

Not only are they generally much more interesting to fly in when compared to the United States, but also regions like South America, Africa or SEA would never get real 3rd. party attention like the PNW region surely will. 

Yesterday I was flying through the Brazilian wetlands during my world tour and had a blast with the terrain quality. 

MSFS is a dream come true for the global simmer...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 hours ago, Slides said:

I mean who cares as long as its hidden away nicely as in most cases for MSFS. Asobo will be doing region updates which will include imagery sourced from outside Bing where it's particularly weak.

1. Yeah, as the other poster said, not hidden in many places. You may not care about blurry scenery, but many will. I miss seeing the details on the terrain which is pretty much the whole point of ortho.

1b. MSFS fudges this for cities, placing a fake overlay on roads and residential property. Look good/great at first glance, but Starts to give things a generic look after a while.

2. Not realistic to do “region updates” on the scale that would be needed.  It’s a Bimg-based sim. And anyone who buiids ortho knows that Bing is pretty bad for a large chunk of the world.. They’re not going to replace Bing with Arc for all of Australia, which is what you’d want to do.

2b. Even if you change to an entirely google or arc based sim (not going to happen), you’d still have blurry ortho because you can’t stream ZL17 (or even close to it) with current tech.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

4 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

I feel like a lot of XP11 and P3D loyal have a very short vision. They are only judging the sim for what it is has now and ignore all the potential is has. In a year or so, P3D and XP11 will look like dinosaur.

It's actually the other way around.

Most of you have no idea what x-plane's current scenery engine is capeable of especially from a scenery developer pov. And this also include very strong tools for regional scenery, seasons, particle effects etc..

A) x-plane 11 is calibrated for minimum specs for 5 years ago.

B) unfortunatly only few scenery addons shed light on what x-plane's "plausible" approach can offer, the default art assests obviously do not for now hence they hired new army of artists. 

It's really funny though that some of msfs guys bashed x-plane for not having certain features (seasons, for example) during the years, but when MSFS*2020* lacks in that area it's all fine.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

Most of you have no idea what x-plane's current scenery engine is capeable of especially from a scenery developer pov. And this also include very strong tools for regional scenery, seasons, particle effects etc..

I haven't heard that one since high school:

Ted: I do so have a girlfriend.

Bob: Fine. Can we meet her?

Ted: No. She lives in 1,000 miles away. 

Bob. Oooooh. Okay.... Sure.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

I haven't heard that one since high school:

Ted: I do so have a girlfriend.

Bob: Fine. Can we meet her?

Ted: No. She lives in 1,000 miles away. 

Bob. Oooooh. Okay.... Sure.

Insted of sarcasm:

https://developer.x-plane.com/article/library-library-txt-file-format-specification/#:~:text=August 12%2C 2019-,Library.,files%2C but with a library.

https://developer.x-plane.com/article/vector-network-net-file-format-specification/

Already, Much powerful tools than anything msfs has to offer when it comes to scenery and making a living virual world. 

Lacks of good default art to shine, for now.

Edit: and you guys opened an x-plane/p3d thread in msfs forum and then be all sarcastic when other people express other opinions (and facts), do you want a disscusion? Or just somebody to assure you made the right choice?

Edited by mtaxp
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That wasn't sarcasm. First, you don't know what's in the SDK for this program as it's not out yet. Second, when someone starts producing scenery that meets this level you speak of, drop back in and let us know. Third, I'm not holding my breath given that third-party developers and X-Plane go together like bread and socks. And I'm a fan. I just happen to also be a realist.