Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Feeling bad for Laminar and others

consider as well, my previous experiences with SLC and PDX

SLC: waited forever for the pacsim SLC which sat (in the p3dv4 days, not available yet for p3dv5, and I'm gonna have to pay for it again when it does) on top of ORBX global.  so, the choice is payware on top of payware, which has a similar degree of mismatch to the above pix, or I can run the default airport which looks like complete a$s for different reasons than color matching.

PDX:waited forever for the flightbeam PDX which actually really matches well with orbx pnw, but for the longest time had weird terrain spikes that I could not resolve, everywhere around Portland, that ended up being cause by, of all things another payware scenery from Seattle

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chock said:

r/flightsim - X-Plane.org using FS2020 issues to try to sell addons

Now that, is some serious b*******. 🤣

Ironic to see XP devs pitching their sim as the best tube-liner experience. 

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I personally don’t see myself going back to P3D.  MSFS is far from perfect but yesterday’s sims are far worse.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Ironic to see XP devs pitching their sim as the best tube-liner experience. 

Yup exactly. I have bought every XPlane version back to about version 5 even though I don't like it, just to support flight sim development, and with XP 10 and 11 I bought some add-on airliners and other bits and bats (ATC, planners, that kind of thing) to try and see if it made a good airliner flight sim.

It doesn't, not anywhere near as good as FSX or P3D for that kind of thing since it doesn't have anywhere near as many infrastructure add-ons, let alone add on aeroplanes of a standard good enough to do that. I've tried really hard to like XPlane over the years, but I just don't and I don't know why people say it's got a good flight model either, because I think it's bloody awful.

Looks good, I'll give it that. But the flight modeling and all that 'Blade Element Theory is perfect' nonsense they always bang on about, is the biggest crock of **** I've ever heard.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

Those don't look good at all, so not sure how you find that acceptable,

I have been a flight simmer a long time, and I have accepted (and in most cases also paid good money for) WAY worse.  Are you seriously telling me that in your experience in this hobby, that you have never seen mismatched coloring between airports and surrounding terrain, mesh slope anomalies, or lower than you prefer resolution ortho?

• Upvote 1

I dont mind occassional mismatches, but it just so happens that most of the areas I fly they are everywhere.

There are almost no mismatches in True Earth Great Britain for instance, or any of the Orbx stuff.
There is an occasional one here or there in a small tiled area, but it's really rare.

Here is another shot, this is approaching the neon green (but not quite), I'll grab some of the much brighter neons later. East-Of-SLC.png

It's not that I'm that picky, I'm really not, but to say they fixed MOST of the ortho, that is just not what I've seen. They did fix most of it in Washington State, but not in most other places.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

50 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

I feel like a lot of XP11 and P3D loyal have a very short vision. They are only judging the sim for what it is has now and ignore all the potential is has. In a year or so, P3D and XP11 will look like dinosaur.

That’s what people (even me) said about those sims with the MSFS release, and now we are talking about “in a year” or so. 

Potential in gaming industry could mean nothing. So until those missing sim features are implemented, for me everything is a marketing campaign. I don’t like to pay for promises.

MSFS looks beautiful, but I’m not going to kill any other sim. 

1 hour ago, RustyFlyer said:

... XP (and P3D also) will go the way of slide-rules, amazing tools which once & otherwise helped send humans to the Moon, but which now reside in museums only.

That does it, you hurt my feelings and I'm filling out a "Hurt Feelings Report".  I do not care what you said about Austin Meyers, or XP, or previous versions of FS and P3D. It was your statement about slide rules.  I still use a slide rule from time-to-time.  I worked in the communications Industry for over 40 years and I found it was quicker than a calculator for doing dB calculations.  I still have the three original ones I purchased in 1976.

John Cottreau

• Like 2

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

1 minute ago, aleex said:

That’s what people (even me) said about those sims with the MSFS release, and now we are talking about “in a year” or so. 

Potential in gaming industry could mean nothing. So until those missing sim features are implemented, for me everything is a marketing campaign. I don’t like to pay for promises.

MSFS looks beautiful, but I’m not going to kill any other sim. 

I was never supposed to kill any other sim. Sims always thrives on 3rd party. My opinions is the pool of user who owns MSFS will much bigger than XP11 and P3D combine. I think once the 3rd party aircraft starts to flow, the population of others sim will suffer greatly. The writing is on the wall

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

38 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

We must be playing two different games, look at the color just NW of KPDX...

I'll grab SLC in a minute, and I've seen some even worse places than this...

These aren't minor airports nor is the off-color in small areas, sometimes it extends miles and miles.

This one shot has 3-4 different color zones and contrast that is exactly opposite from one side to another.

I'm honestly not seeing the issue. Maybe I'm just more forgiving with terrain as my other primary flight sim is DCS. 

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

It really totally depends on how well the SDK works,  right now we don't know, but there is no writing on the wall, only a smudge of invisible ink.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

East-Of-SLC.png

This is the pic you show me to showcase the hatefulness of the MSFS Ortho?  Ok...  My own screenshots showed worse.

If you showed me that 2 years ago, and said "that's default global scenery" I would have gotten my money out right then and there.

Also that is an unsustainable attitude for your TBM there. (I try to not be that guy, but this is Avsim, I have a duty.)

Edited by ShawnG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SceneryFX said:

...very smart guy and at times may come off kind of arrogant, but I don't know the guy personally so I don't jump to those kind of conclusions...

I am not an automotive engineer, but I am able to drive a car competently. Sure, most of the folks commenting here do not know Meyer personally, but have been witness to his arrogance nonetheless. Below is a link for a little taste that will demonstrate the aforementioned. AM arrogant?! That is like calling the Pacific Ocean a puddle.

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

15 minutes ago, Chock said:

I don't know why people say it's got a good flight model either, because I think it's bloody awful.

Thank you! Finally someone said it. It has always felt off to me. I can't say why exactly but it doesn't fly like any other sim and that's usually a red flag to me. Everything feels lethargic. Like you're underwater.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub