Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

What's missing in MSFS?

On 8/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

Here's an example of the baffling ATC. Maybe this make sense to somebody, but I certainly haven't ever been directed to do this. I did get even, though. Since I couldn't figure out what to do, I switched to full AI control of the aircraft. Otto indeed did an ILS 01 approach perfectly until right after he intersected the glideslope. At that point he put the gear down and the aircraft went 90 degree nose down and crashed. I suppose I'll read about on the evening news.

Been testing this out repeatedly, here's my opinion of what I think is going on and it's quite user friendly I think but then again I could be wrong, FS20 unlike others will not make you do a 345 degree turn on the spot but will "arc" you into it. So if you don't have a transition set but have a direct approach, it will guide you to the main runway of the airport for you to enter a pattern and then it's upto you to you to enter a pattern into ILS 1 or whatever approach you want. From what I've seen so far it won't do this if you have a transition.

Having said that choose a flight directly from the GPS with simply a departing and arrival, for ex. I'm doing CYKF - CYTZ and once airborne request IFR once you get close ATC will give you an approach but you can select different approaches with transitions. I did this with an airport with visual only and it directed be to the main runway to enter a patter into the visual I wanted. Overall it's damm good considering I started the plane put in departing/arrival and gave me full ATC with a transition.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1. 2D Cockpit View

2. Maximize View

3. Ability to view MAP and adjust lat/long, elevation, etc.

4. Support CH Product Yoke

Tim

I've compiled and cleaned them all a little to this point:

2D Cockpit View
3rd party airplanes such as A2A, Milviz, or PMDG.
ability to create views with precise camera control
ability to save different graphic configurations...
Access to nav/comm data
Accurate taxiway signs and/or an AFCAD editor to fix taxiway names / signs 
AI planes with good ATC control
AI traffic with liveries and operating on representative schedules
Air Balloons doing 450kts
air Hauler
airbus that works no matter the depth
Aircraft Carriers
altitude knob in the G58
ATC should be synced in multiplayer
Autumn scenery, contrails, breaking waves
basic Climb/Descend Physics (worse on some than others)
Beautiful water that changes colors depending on the region that I want to fly. Waves that move with the wind and change size. 
better AI/ATC interface
better autopilot
better performance
Better VFR map with city names and landmarks, maybe click on a spot on the map and option to create flight plan on the go
better weather radar
billboards pulled by airplanes
Blimps
buildings look the same everywhere, no churches at all, lot of bridges are missing
Camera look
Career mode
change flight plans at any time / enroute 
Cirrus, Cirrocumulus and Cirrostratus clouds
Cockpit pan not just side views with my honeycomb yoke
Controller support for yoke, pedals, throttle, and GoFlight modules.
CTDs fixed
Custom ground handling (e.g. GSX)
Damage model
Different surface grip and drag, planes leave marks on soft terrain\snow
Dirt and wear and tear in and out of the planes
environmental ice 
Fix autopilots
Fix Plane RPM 
Fix wrong airports layouts.
flight model also looks very unrealistic, arcade like.
Flight planning tools other than route planning--fuel, time, winds, etc
Flightsim Instructor
FSUIPC,ActiveSky,Chaseplane,Traffic package etc
Garmin avionics suite that allows usable /G IFR practice. 
gates and ramps missing
Google Maps 3D / Google Earth quality scenery
ground commands (pushback,etc.) decoupled from ATC
Helicopters
Historical weather, access to enroute weather data on Live weather, forecasts
Instant Replay!!!
lack of truly represented coral reefs 
lacking effects such as water spray, condensation , contrails etc.
Lens exposure during night is wrong, aircraft lights are not lighting correct.
Lightning bolts close up looks like someone created them in MS paint with a 100 pixel brush
liveries
Make able to type in the MFDs using keyboard.
map to look up facilities and frequencies.
maximize View
mesh is just too low res.
metric altimetry/weight/volume!
Metric units
missing airports 
missing grey roads and streets.
more complex aircraft.
more immediate graphic representation of the water for an area in the flight planning menu
More variety of tree/colors.  Almost all forest look the same. Maybe more color variation or types of trees or vagation.
Moving map programs
Multiplayer chat
Multiplayer stuff like create a rally or something like that
multi-view / multi-monitor capability (and no, Nvidia Surround isn't true multi-monitor)
Not being able to request the closest metar
not seeing Multiplayer aircraft on the map.
option to download the Ortho at a higher res
outside view I'd like to pan using the hat switch
particle effects.
Passenger/pilot doors, and cargo doors that open and close as in previous MS sims with default aircraft 
Passengers and cargo visualization
Patience from a good many
payware quality airports.
Photo scenic textures with seasonal variations including 3D trees.
Planes should have their individual profiles
plausible representation of the wind in Live Weather.
pop-out instruments (G1000 etc) and undock them onto separate screens. 
Precipitation is unrealistically light, even flying into a mass of thunderstorms sometimes there is no rain, or very light rain
Prop and jet warplanes
proper, worldwide high definition mesh of at least 4.78meters. Global installed. 
Quality nav gauge plugins (e.g. F1/RXP Garmins)
quicker easier control setup
Radio/TV towers, water tanks, power lines.  Aviation hazards useful for VFR navigation.
Real weather that is dynamic and user defined.
realistic "Crash" when you over speed in a dive for .5 seconds.
Realistic better ATC for VFR & IFR operations.
Reasonable loading times, good fps, and stability.
Remote CDU applications like Aviasoft Remote CDU
Retired B747-400 PIC
rivers appear to be treated like the ocean
Sailplanes
Saving custom landmarks (areas) of your choosing.
Scenery tools that allow corrections to airfield features (e.g. ADE)
SceneryFX 
scrape ice off your plane once you've landed.
Shared cockpit multiplayer, yes because right now we allready have fun in Multiplayer flying,
small airfield activity.  Remember the guy that mowed the grass in FSX?
Smoke effects
support CH Product Yoke
swap between normal sound and headphone simulated sound whilst in flight.
sweet music 
Trains!!! We need Trains Choo choo!!!!
Trikes and autogyros
Turboprop engines
twitchy controls fixed
using the mouse-right click for a drop-down menu
View manager utlities
view MAP then adjust lat/long, elevation, etc.
views to different screens to get a wraparound view.
Voice ATC (meaning pilot can talk to ATC)
VR
Water grainy and has a shimmering line like effect over the waves when flying at certain angles
Water masking and texture, (Does not look like anything from the trailers).
While at the gate, select different aircraft (or even livery) without having to re-load the entire flight.

Edited by VeryBumpy
  • Upvote 2

Sure would like to be able to change time of day in mid-flight, and to take advantage of having the right mouse button open up a drop-down menu.  I'm shocked that is missing it's so useful and easy, after 30y of practice!  And views--just please give me a bloomin' top-down view, and an unobstructed forward view so as to take advantage of all of that scenery.  A nice simple spot-view.  I'm really having a hard time w/ the camera programming.  

To me the cloud forms themselves look way too uniform, always soft, never sharper defined edges, and just plain artificial.  Sky colors and dawn/dusk lighting on clouds are pretty lovely and a nice plus.  I find night lighting looks overcooked.  The glow on all of the road lights are too prominent IMO.  It's really a mixed bag of amazing improvements in many aspects of the scenery engine, and yet has some oddities even in that department.  To me it seems like we need an ActiveSky, and some scenery tuning including night-lighting.  Or am I just trying to turn this in to another...P3D?!

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

My review of it is missing. But don't worry, it's rendering right now. And then I'll be uploading it to my channel. 😎 On a more serious note, what it is missing above all else, is a replay mode.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

54 minutes ago, Noel said:

Sure would like to be able to change time of day in mid-flight

You can if not in multiplayer, just click the weather icon from the top menu and change the slider.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I'd change:

The always-on runway and taxi lights.

The strobes/flashing/sequence lights of the approach lighting systems are seen from many miles away, which to me kind of breaks the immersion of VFR day flying.

Enrique Vaamonde

The people at MSFS could easily conclude that the sim community is impossible to please and abandon the project altogether.

Many of the requests are reasonable, others not so much. For instance, the ability for aircrafts to leave marks during light snow is a bit too demanding. The people at MSFS will see this list and may say - crazy stuff. Guys,  focus on flying the plane instead of looking for a trail of snow marks or scrapping ice off the planes surface. No offense but we take it too far sometimes.

1 hour ago, Huascar said:

The people at MSFS could easily conclude that the sim community is impossible to please and abandon the project altogether.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.  Clearly you have to have very thick skin to be a developer and while it's a walk in the park to come up with all of the shortcomings and wishlists it's a whole other issue to decide which improvements will matter the most for the development costs.  But they do need the feedback even so.  So yes, be helpful and thoughtful and realize what a risk the entire venture is.  Right now, I am feeling a whole lot more comfortable w/ P3D and I hope MS/Asobo can continue to build on quite a phenomenal start of a new platform.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Top 6 Should be

1) Finish out SDK and make it easier (whatever it takes), including ensuring physics model can be properly edited

2) Higher Res Ortho since we know Bing already has it
--- Offer the option of higher res for a small monthly fee at least, most would be more than willing to pay it, and that means more revenue (I fail to see how MS missed this idea)

3) Improve Autopilot, Fix Airliners, Fix Engine attributes

4) Improve MiniMap / MovingMap

5) Change Aircraft without having to reload

6) Fix smushed looking "mud hut" buildings at many medium sized airports, and for god sakes improve the default building textures at generic airports

I'm sure there is a # 7 and # 8 that is just as important as above (though it escapes me atm), but my point is I think they need to focus on 5-10 things right now, those being pretty important. A lot of the other stuff can easily be addressed by third party addons.

NOTE: Had to edit and add the most important thing (finish SDK), but i think they are working on that, hopefully...

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

How about the ability to do a walk around of the aircraft and fuel dip...lol!

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

On 8/22/2020 at 9:21 PM, Farlis said:

In case nobody has mentioned it already:

I looked around among the default files, and there is a folder for the clouds and they have Altocumulus, Altostratus, Cumulonimbus Calvus, Cumulonimbus Incus, Cumulus Congestus, Cumulus Humilis, Cumulus Mediocris, Towering Cumulus, Nimbostratus, Stratocumulus and Stratus.

What is missing are Cirrus, Cirrocumulus and Cirrostratus.

The big omission for me on that list is lenticular clouds.  A great marker for the presence of “wave”. Vital if they are intent on releasing a glider at some point.

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

Animated waterfalls and river rapids, it would make bush flying much more exciting. And please add water skiing without immediately being told you've crashed...🙄

Edited by High_Alpha

After lurking around forums , discord , reddit and talking with friends. I would have to say that of all the the things " missing "  from the sim to date could be put at ease somewhat with one easy solution.  Reassurance, It would go a long way if just once a week have someone from the " official team "  make the rounds to Steam , reddit and maybe a couple of the forums. " Hey guys this week our top 3 reported issues were blah blah blah or Hey guys we hear you and the team this week has been busy on x , Anything, but it needs to be spread around and often. 

They already have a list of bugs. What we don't have atm is this reassurance. 

edit: yes I have had a few guinness tonight  blah blah blah

Edited by SirDan
  • Upvote 1