Sign in to follow this  
SirDan

Patch Version 1.7.14.0

12 minutes ago, guibru said:

Do not confuse a patch with an update. By definition a patch and small size, the next update that will arrive soon will make almost 100 GB.

sauce?

• Like 2

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

39 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

My comment was related to a post about "core code was untouched". I understand how patch work in general! I've been software engineer for 20+ years.

Okay, then it's maybe a simple misunderstanding, sorry. 🙂 You replied to somebody who was saying the patch is not containing any source code, how he could know "the patch doesn't apply a source code". I don't know what "applying a source code" is, it's possible you meant something different or I just didn't get what you mean. You write source code which gets compiled into binary files, I think you agree. Those files are getting delivered to your customers. The cases where you would give the source code to your customers are quite rare, at least for me.

Edited by roesti

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

It doesn't crash anymore but hangs instead now. What's the difference? Only way out was ending the process through the taskmanager. Seems it still needs a bit of work.

Seriously, the application now just hangs?

Eric 

1 minute ago, roesti said:

Okay, then it's maybe a simple misunderstanding, sorry. 🙂 You replied to somebody who was saying the patch is not containing any source code, how he could know "the patch doesn't apply a source code". I don't know what "applying a source code" is, it's possible you meant something different or I just didn't get what you mean. You write source code which gets compiled into binary files, I think you agree. Those files are getting delivered to your customers. The cases where you would give the source code to your customers are quite rare, at least for me.

No worries 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

It doesn't crash anymore but hangs instead now. What's the difference? Only way out was ending the process through the taskmanager. Seems it still needs a bit of work.

I know sounds silly, but try a restart.

Mine got hung, but it’s because I installed and continued with the sim I had already launched.

Had to restart and all was ok.

Edited by Cmcollazo71

12 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Seriously, the application now just hangs?

the first time you reload you may have to disable your anti-virus or security, exit reboot. Also delete the Steam link if you've made one.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, Matthias1231 said:

In terms of code, the patch will only apply compiled binaries. No company in its right mind would send their source code to a client machine and turn it into a binary locally.

I developed software for Apple back in days gone by, but I assume Windows programming is similar. I agree than patch size doesn't directly infer how much of the source code was rewritten (my previous comment was a bit too simplistic in this regards). In fact, just touching a single line of code in multiple libraries / modules can result in a bigger patch than rewriting hundreds of lines of code in a single library / module. And despite being very good at writing source code back in the day, I confess that the fine details of how the compiler stitched it all together into an executable binary package (especially when it came to applying updates) was a bit of a mystery / magic box to me.

One thing is for certain, patch size in NO way infers the amount of work invested in finding, fixing, and testing buggy code!

Edited by Keto Ketchup
  • Like 3

I sure hope these reports of smoother sim and higher FPS are true and not a placebo. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Its definitely smoother, just made a short flight from KLCK Columbus, Ohio to KIND Indianapolis Intl in the TBM, and couldn't believe how smoother it was, still stuttered a bit here and there, but not the mess it was from first install, to yesterday.

Don't know what they've done, but its as if some blockage was removed!😊

• Like 1

I just checked, and Steam downloaded the patch (about 318 MB for me) in the background while I was busy working. The FS launcher actually applied the patch when I opened FS, nice and quick since it was already downloaded. Everything seems to be working fine!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

No - there is a significant gain for me. I have an i7-3770K arriving tomorrow and I am not sure its as essential as it seemed last week.  I still see slow loading at the start and occasional big hits as new scenery is loaded but other than that it feels great with low end GA.

I too have a 4 core cpu, i5-6600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz, but for whatever reason, this patch gave me about 10 more FPS on top of the Process Lasso fix.  Just a few days ago, I had all but given up on my rig, but with a few tweaks, my immediate outlook with MSFS2020 is bright indeed.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

It may have addressed certain things but not what I just went through in the Cessna Citation Longitude, flight KDTW-KORD, kept me at FL240 until 12 miles from the airport, cleared me for ILS 28R and then directs me to descend to 4000 like crazy.  Needless to say it was a missed approach, declared a missed approach, the ATC assigns me 9000FT then FL210 then FL240 direct to VOGLR.  This is when I press the esc button.  This sim is for GA and looking at nice scenery, it's not like I don't know how to do this, done it 1000s of times in P3D.

2 hours ago, hangar said:

For Steam users, your Content Manager in-game will show a 79GB+ update with a comment stating that you need to restart in order to update this...but when you restart the game nothing happens...still the same thing showing in the Content manager.

Will wait it out a bit...but if i have to reinstall jusat to get this update...hehe, I wont be bothering with it.

See...?  For those complaining about the 333MB patch, evidence that Steam users are getting preferential treatment from MS: they get a 79GB patch instead.  Now, that's value! 🤣

• Like 2

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080