Sign in to follow this  
flyblueskies

Memory Recommendations for i9 10850K & Asus Maximus XII Hero

I'm looking for memory recommendations for the 10850K & Asus Maximus XII Hero motherboard.

I'm planning to add 32gb of RAM and would like the fastest RAM (and lowest CL) for the above combination.

There are so many to choose from, I get lost trying to decide...

Edited by flyblueskies

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Ripjaws 32 gb DDR4 3600 is a good choice.  See it listed in a good number of systems specs here in member's message signatures.  I chose it based on a store recommendation. 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Frank!

I'll most likely buy from Microcenter just as I did the last time. When you got your recommendation, were you at the store or online via a chat?

I see you have the MSI Z490...just wonder how good that is to overclock.

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

1 hour ago, flyblueskies said:

When you got your recommendation, were you at the store or online via a chat?

Great question. I attempted to engage Microcenter remotely, given the pandemic. Response was vague and delayed.  I finally gave up and went to the store, 90 minutes away.  I received excellent service immediately upon arriving at the build-you-own center.  But I was steamed that it was so difficult to simply convey my component selections and merely drive up there to verify and pick up the completed system. 

At the store a build-you-own consultant walked me around and hand pulled my components of choice.  Based on two of his suggestions, I changed my selection of PSU and liquid cooler.  I have been highly satisfied with the result.  Powerful, and unbelievably quiet, which was the point of his suggestion.  My laptop makes more noise than this new system.

I did have to spend $99 extra to have my current pre-3000 series nVidia 1080 Ti placed into the system.  Otherwise the system build guarantee would not have stayed intact.  It changed the build classification from new system to modified system.  I paid the extra to keep the guarantee intact as it would have been void even if I had later installed the 1080 myself.  I just did not want to buy a new video card before the 3000 series release, and 2080 TI's were nowhere to be found anyway.

Bottom line is that I had to make two trips to the store and pay $99 extra.  But my previous system had failed unrecoverably.  I needed to get up and running for management of my personal affairs and simulation, and I wanted to keep the guarantee in force on the new system.  Overall I would do the same again, but I preferred only one trip to the store.

1 hour ago, flyblueskies said:

I see you have the MSI Z490...just wonder how good that is to overclock.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Can't go wrong with any g.skill 32GB DDR4 kit (2x16GB or 4x8GB).  Their customer support is good.  Speed and latency comes down to how much you want to spend, and if it's available where you live (newegg has a very good selection, that's where I bought my kit).  I'm very happy with my 2x16GB 3600 kit, got it running stable at 14-14-14-30 2T at 1.42v (XMP 3600 16-16-16-32 2T 1.35v).

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Buy two of these kits: https://amzn.to/2ZZxhRJ .   Its guaranteed samsung b-die at an amazing price.  These kits will do 4800+ mhz with the right cpu and mobo.  Usually the cpu memory controller or the motherboard topology will hurt your top speed more than the ram itself if its good ram.  Dont worry about them not being 4 matched sticks, as long as the speeds are the same they will work fine together.  

Edited by Pilot53

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

13 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

Buy two of these kits: https://amzn.to/2ZZxhRJ .   Its guaranteed samsung b-die at an amazing price.  These kits will do 4800+ mhz with the right cpu and mobo.  Usually the cpu memory controller or the motherboard topology will hurt your top speed more than the ram itself if its good ram.  Dont worry about them not being 4 matched sticks, as long as the speeds are the same they will work fine together.  

Don't you think it would just be smarter for the OP to find 2x16 for 32 gb? I've read a few stories over the years where people have ran into problems with OC's because they had 4 sticks.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

8 hours ago, micstatic said:

Don't you think it would just be smarter for the OP to find 2x16 for 32 gb? I've read a few stories over the years where people have ran into problems with OC's because they had 4 sticks.  

Normally yes, but on his mobo 4 sticks will be no problem.  The good z490 boards can hit 4000+ with 4 sticks.

• Like 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Don`t OC your PC first let the ASUS AI run for sometime this will give some idea what your setup can achieve, i built may upgrade in a new case for improved airflow and cooling.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/50374316433/in/dateposted-public/

Still not OC`D yet but HT off cores hitting 5.4ghz but i will not go that high for hard OC for 24/7 use.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Don‘t use Asus AI overclocking. It uses ridiculous voltages to achieve the overclock. Either learn how to manually overclock or run it at default clocks. 

• Upvote 2

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

1 hour ago, carlito777 said:

Don‘t use Asus AI overclocking. It uses ridiculous voltages to achieve the overclock. Either learn how to manually overclock or run it at default clocks. 

I don`t but the AI learning tool will run and give a score on your CPU and cooling, in default variable boost it will run according to your PC temps very good cooling will hit the 5.3 no problem. 

Wait till the system has had a good run and bedded in before OC`ing.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

The results from Asus AI on my Strix Z490-E motherboard and CPU are total BS. Asus AI suggests VCore in excess of 1.5 volts to get to 5.0 GHz on my 10700K. However, I have it Prime stable at 5.0GHz@1.35 Volts and 5.1GHz@1.4Volts.

The benefits from overclocking are limited anyways these days. So either learn how to do it properly or run the system at stock settings and just be happy. Certainly better than frying the CPU with 1.5 or more volts.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

You can hit 5.2ghz with 1.35 volts my MB has only two memory slots less lanes for the CPU to handle.

Raymond Fry.

I picked up two kits of Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (4 x 8GB) 4400MHz and run it at great 4000 CL17. I love this memory. I can get it to run @ 4400Mhz per kit but if I adjusted it to  4000MHz for all 4 DIMS it's rock solid. I love the price and performance. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

19 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

You can hit 5.2ghz with 1.35 volts my MB has only two memory slots less lanes for the CPU to handle.

Hello Raymond, I see you have my same motherboard the ASUS APEX, I do have  slight slower CPU, I got the I9-10850. I just did not want to spend $880 for 10900 when I could get the i9-10850 for $479. I have 32 GB (2x16) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-4000.  I guess I will follow your lead in regards to over clocking the CPU. I got a Huge Therrmaltake case with three very large fans, I added a Corsair H150i triple fan liquid cooler for the CPU. For the time being I am running it with my old 1080TI until the 3090 becomes available. I have three 32 inch 2k monitors.

Let me know how you are progressing with your overclocking,  

Regards,

Juan