28 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

You can wait forever, I was going to order a new PC 2 years ago, then I heard the 20XX Supers were coming, was waiting, then heard the 10900k were coming, then just I was going to buy the 3000 where coming, you have to pull the trigger at some point or you will wait forever.

👍 Very true.  This is my philosophy as well, but I forget to tell it to myself sometimes. 😁

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

FYI after watching various 3090 reviews the card performance is really disappointing. It’s not really a gaming GPU, but for creators instead. Nvidia messed up in marketing the 3090.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, 10% gain for doubling the price, that doesn't really make any sense in anyway. I was all for 3090 but maybe I'll settle down with 3080. No point to throw money to the water. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

4 hours ago, Nyxx said:

You can wait forever, I was going to order a new PC 2 years ago, then I heard the 20XX Supers were coming, was waiting, then heard the 10900k were coming, then just I was going to buy the 3000 where coming, you have to pull the trigger at some point or you will wait forever. The 3080 was my trigger. Order in sig. My plan as always is order the most I can afford and 3 years later order a new GFX so 3 years it will be 4000? but am sure a 3080 and 1080x1920 will be fine for another 3 years then a new card and upto 4k.

What ever you buy a better one is just around the corner. A carrot on a stick.....Dog chasing its tail....on it goes. If you wait long enough you can get a 32GB  VRAM card it will never end. Also 4k is different to 1080. 

the 3080 was my trigger also. just ordered a similar system but with a 10700k cpu.

• Like 2

I’m not going to upgrade unless I can get at least double the vram from what I have now which is 8gig. No point in spending for a 2 gig upgrade. I know the power of the cards and performance is better but without the vram for me would be a waist. for me personally. 

• Upvote 1

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

13 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

same with cars 😂

Correct - why get a Ferrari if you can only go 55mph.

bs

• Upvote 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

6 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I managed to pick up 2 here in the U.K. 

Seems easier than the 3080, however I’m still not sure I’ll keep it. Seems like the 3080 will win with 20gb ram. 

A lot of users in other forums do this, too. I don`t want to critisize it, but altough it`s legit, I don`t think it`s a good idea buying 2 cards, sending them back, so either they will get sold as second-hand ware, or will get crushed. It`s not that we are not living in times where climate change is a topic, but on the other side, the 350W pull out a good amount of juice.

Here are official benchmarks of 3090 and FS

12 minutes ago, Ed_S_Pilot said:

I’m not going to upgrade unless I can get at least double the vram from what I have now which is 8gig. No point in spending for a 2 gig upgrade. I know the power of the cards and performance is better but without the vram for me would be a waist. for me personally. 

+1000

Chris Camp

5 hours ago, Nyxx said:

You can wait forever, I was going to order a new PC 2 years ago, then I heard the 20XX Supers were coming, was waiting, then heard the 10900k were coming, then just I was going to buy the 3000 where coming, you have to pull the trigger at some point or you will wait forever. The 3080 was my trigger. Order in sig. My plan as always is order the most I can afford and 3 years later order a new GFX so 3 years it will be 4000? but am sure a 3080 and 1080x1920 will be fine for another 3 years then a new card and upto 4k.

What ever you buy a better one is just around the corner. A carrot on a stick.....Dog chasing its tail....on it goes. If you wait long enough you can get a 32GB  VRAM card it will never end. Also 4k is different to 1080. 

The problem is that if you wait for that better PC to come along in the meantime the software you want to run at that point will be even more demanding. So you really haven't gained much ground. Do you want to enjoy the software you have today? Well, it will cost you. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

6 minutes ago, BigDee said:

A lot of users in other forums do this, too. I don`t want to critisize it, but altough it`s legit, I don`t think it`s a good idea buying 2 cards, sending them back, so either they will get sold as second-hand ware, or will get crushed. It`s not that we are not living in times where climate change is a topic, but on the other side, the 350W pull out a good amount of juice.

Here are official benchmarks of 3090 and FS

It was an error on my behalf that I ended up buying two...... I don’t need 2 and certainly not trying to sell It on. If no one wants it at what I paid for it I’ll simply return it. 
Latest reviews indicate that it’s not much of a performance over the 3080 too. Only problem I see with the 3080, is not enough vram. As we have seen with p3d in DX12, I think the bare minimum should be 15gb. 

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It was an error on my behalf that I ended up buying two...... I don’t need 2 and certainly not trying to sell It on. If no one wants it at what I paid for it I’ll simply return it. 
Latest reviews indicate that it’s not much of a performance over the 3080 too. Only problem I see with the 3080, is not enough vram. As we have seen with p3d in DX12, I think the bare minimum should be 15gb. 

Just wait when VR arrives to MSFS, i know i will be happy with my 3090 😎😁 this card will be a VR dream.

And if you beside gaming doing some graphics rendering/Ai stuff ect. This card blows the Titan RTX for 1000$ less!

• Like 1

I tried to get one but had no luck. There was a sliver of a second where I was able to add one to my cart, but when I clicked "Check Out" it sat on "Checking Out..." forever and never went through.

11 minutes ago, RobJC said:

The problem is that if you wait for that better PC to come along in the meantime the software you want to run at that point will be even more demanding. So you really haven't gained much ground. Do you want to enjoy the software you have today? Well, it will cost you. 

I agree, and for me the key has been 5-6y service life out of the entire rig.  This way the value is there (lots n lots of use per $ spent), and your next upgrade will be very satisfying.  That is what I did w/ my 3930K/GTX Titan and it kept me going very well for 6y.  It was a total treat to upgrade to my current hardware but I too am waiting for a 16-20Gb RTX 30 series.  When I put the RTX 2070 Super in looking at various 3D graphics benchmarks against RTX 2080 Ti I learned the $499 GPU was only 14% slower than the 2080 TI.  If that happens w/ the 30 series you will be able to get a good part of the job done for a reasonable price.  12Gb of vram would certainly be very significant but then again we're after 5y+ on this so would like that 16Gb level at a minimum.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

5 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Why bother buying a card that is geared to 4K gaming and run it at 1080p? Then turn around 3 years from now and buy a new card for 4K gaming....when the 3080 would be enough for 4K gaming now? Sounds like your going to end up paying twice over the long run. 

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda