Sign in to follow this  
Bad_T

Another tool to organize your MSFS addons easily

1 hour ago, Noooch said:

I don't notice any change in loading times with or without addons.

I tend to agree. Loading times have been always (too) long, but I don't seen them being further extended after installing quite a bunch of (Payware + Freeware) add-on sceneries yesterday. Although this may change after adding several 100 of them.

And yes, this was an issue with P3D indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Wow.  Guess this idea reached critical mass because last Thursday I was trying to decide between a virtual folder approach (built until tool rebuilds) or this approach.  Snooze you lose, I'd figured this was the better way to go rather than dork with Dokan potential pitfalls (and because CBFS is insanely priced for licensing).  Congrats, tool looks good! 

Now what can I build for this sim?  

*shuffles off to the laboratory mumbling incoherently*

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pmb said:

I tend to agree. Loading times have been always (too) long, but I don't seen them being further extended after installing quite a bunch of (Payware + Freeware) add-on sceneries yesterday. Although this may change after adding several 100 of them.

And yes, this was an issue with P3D indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

So what would be the point of using this tool if loading times are not affected ?

thanks as always for the comments

bszuch : starting from version 1c you can enable/disable by group of full folder. With the 'find' panel above the list you can also search for specific words (for example OHAiports), this will only show the addons matching the searched text and then you could enable/disable them in 1 click with the context menu (even if they are in different folders).

As for renaming, if you rename the addons folder after the creation of the link, the link will not work anymore, you would have to recreate it. To enable renaming without loosing the link, i should put an option to rename folders inside the tool so that it would take care of deleting the old link and recreate the new one automatically. I'm still a bit unsure if letting people have a link with a different name than the source would be useful or not (bit confused right now 🙃)

motishow : you can ignore the 'invalid json' message, i'll rephrase that in a futur version because it's a bit missleading and the json file is not the problem

In your specific case it seems the link is not valid, did you maybe rename or move the source folders after you the link was created ? if you did that the link won't be valid anymore (i can see that on your screen, invalid in the 'link target' column)

from here it seems like an easy fix, just delete those 5 folders in the community folder (this will not delete any files, just the links), and reselect them in the tool, the link should be created again and point to the correct folder. Let me know if that doesn't work.

badgenes : 😜

nooch : it can help you organize your addons in a good structured way instead of throwing everything mixed up in a single 'community' folder that will be hard to maintain, keep track of and update. It's obviously 100% personnal preferences, if you don't care about that, you probably don't need the tool. Performance i also don't know to be honest if it has an impact or not to disable unused addons, someone with thousands of addons maybe can tell us.

btw if some mod can put the latest mediafire link in the first post it would be nice, thank you (can't edit the post myself)

Edited by Bad_T

1 hour ago, Bad_T said:

btw if some mod can put the latest mediafire link in the first post it would be nice, thank you (can't edit the post myself)

Done!

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Done!

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

58 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

Done!

Thank you!!

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

17 hours ago, Noooch said:

I don't notice any change in loading times with or without addons.

I think you are wrong.

Obviously, the more addons you put in community folder, the more time it takes to the sim to integrate these addons. Try with 50+ addons and you will see this.

And this tool is very useful to control this, allowing to select only the addons needed at a given flight.

• Like 1

Patrice Dubois

16 hours ago, Bad_T said:

thanks as always for the comments

bszuch : starting from version 1c ....

Hi Bad_T,

Where is version 1c?

Thanks.

Edited by patrice_bambou

Patrice Dubois

2 hours ago, patrice_bambou said:

I think you are wrong.

Obviously, the more addons you put in community folder, the more time it takes to the sim to integrate these addons. Try with 50+ addons and you will see this.

And this tool is very useful to control this, allowing to select only the addons needed at a given flight.

I have almost 40 already, I think it is enough.

But maybe when we will have 3000 it will make a difference...

I don't say it isn't useful but you can already sort them in the community folder by adding a prefix (airport...) 

So it is just a click more before opening the sim. And people are yelling about removing the"press to start" screen because they want less clicks. I don't understand anymore.

I respect the work made to create this tool, I am just asking myself what motivates people to use it. Pure curiosity.

It makes still a difference between 0 and 40. For me, If I add only 10 addons, I will wait more time before the "Press any key to start" screen than with 0 addon.
It is the same for P3D with the scenery  and addons files.

Patrice Dubois