Sign in to follow this  
jasonstory44

Late to the game. Textures and trees popping in

Just fired up MSFS after a decent hiatus from Prepar3d and FS. 

I notice that distant land textures being blurry and popping in when very close is still and issue. Also trees seem to do the same. 

I have 9900k overclocked at 5.2 and 64 GB memory and an RTX Titan. None seem to be maxed out at 100%. 

I have all settings set to ultra and running a single monitor at 4K. 

are there ways to tweak this to make the LOD radius of detail better?  My frame rates seem excellent but just the blurry textures and popping in (things that drove me nuts in the past) still seem present. 

Thanks, Jason

Does the popping change if you overfly the same route again?

To some degree, the streaming scenery is limited by your Internet connection and processing..  Having this area in your cache may make a difference..

• Like 1

Bert

Ah.  I hadn’t thought about that Bert. I’ll have to reflux it or download it and cache it to check. Since I have a pretty fast connection speed I didn’t think it would be an issue but that’s a good place for me to start. 
thank you

Another factor may be zoom setting. High zoom supports popping in. But the default (0.5) or lower should be safe.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, jasonstory44 said:

Just fired up MSFS after a decent hiatus from Prepar3d and FS. 
I notice that distant land textures being blurry and popping in when very close is still and issue. Also trees seem to do the same. 

Thanks, Jason

There's a third party MOD fix on the official FS forums for the trees.  Can't seem to find it.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, Dillon said:

There's a third party MOD fix on the official FS forums for the trees.  Can't seem to find it.

if its the one i am thinking of it too fix tree height and has nothing to do with drawing distance...  drawing distance is something that is on the official roadmap as yet to be investigated

Wow 4 hours and absolutely no one has given him the truth yet?

Sigh .. ok ill smash the china.. here is  the truth.

Asobo has broken the LOD. They claim it was unintentional and it is on their list of stuff to fix.

Refer to forum topic https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-problems-trees-water/276055/921

As to when they will fix it  you can read it here

Now your best option in my opinion is to not tinker with your sim and just wait for a fix. (eventually)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

ok maybe because I am a cat I am bad at reading....but where on that link do they say

Asobo broke LOD and it was unintential ?  I dont see any written text adressing LOD.?

7 minutes ago, AmeliaCat said:

ok maybe because I am a cat I am bad at reading....but where on that link do they say

Asobo broke LOD and it was unintential ?  I dont see any written text adressing LOD.?

Refer to Number 12 on the  Development update bugs list. LOD was broken in the patch before last. According to them. in their VIDEO response. it wasn't intentional. However as you can see from the development update its in "backlog"

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

it say LOD problems trees and water            it doenst say anything about it being broken on accident or refer to the last patch at all,,,,  just saying,, I know its broke but I just dont see where it says oops our bad...

Either you are missing something or i am missing something or we are just talking past each other.

Patch 3 (the one that made the trees smaller)  Asobo broke the LOD with that patch.. People who have been using the sim problem free on systems that default on ultra (like mine and most likely the op considering his specs) have started to get blurries and popping in since then.

Asobo did a video Development Update on the 15th and it was brought up and they acknowledged the issue and said they never intended for the LOD to be broken and they don't quite understand how it got broken. Rather they want to allow for it to be increased to facilitate higher spec systems.

Hence its on the list of things to fix under number 12 and number 6  .. its being investigated and the status is backlog.

Hopefully this is as clear as possible...

Edited by Maxis

Popping trees bug is thoroughly investigated here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-problems-trees-fix-revisited/296923/49

By the way - trees (or object in general) drawing distance is linked to the object size (e. g. tree height) it seems that the broken algorithm displays the bigger objects first (bigger draw distance). The most annoying part of the bug is the trees appearing at some distance, then dissapering when you get closer, and appearing again if you get even closer. The bug affects different tree species on High and different on Ultra. Similar error affects procedural buildings, in the result you have blocky building (no widows, no detail) too close. All this is well documented under the link I provided, waiting for Asobo to act. 

So currently the entride draw distance algorithm is a mess. 

Edited by Steku
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AmeliaCat said:

I know its broke but I just dont see where it says oops our bad...

They definitely said this. I can’t give you a link but it was noted in one of their video discussions I think it was. They said it was an unintentional side effect of the second patch and would be addressed. LOD for all objects was affected, trees, buildings, texture resolution. Even runways. It was not just trees. It will be fixed down the line. The original RTM was superior in this regard. Now I fly with LOD at the max 200. Even Asobo themselves stated (in that same interview if I recall) that the LOD slider had very little effect on performance when pushed to the max (when it was working as intended). Now it has even less effect on performance, you may as well push it to 200.

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 hour ago, Steku said:

Popping trees bug is thoroughly investigated here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-problems-trees-fix-revisited/296923/49

By the way - trees (or object in general) drawing distance is linked to the object size (e. g. tree height) it seems that the broken algorithm displays the bigger objects first (bigger draw distance).

I`ve played around with treesize (actually cactus) and added 2 zero`s to the size, so making them 100 times as big. (in north west Mexico/southern California)

The result is really big cactusses, but also seeing that draw distance didn`t improve at all there is still a very close very hard limit, and further more they keep changing shape and alignment if you get closer to them/fly over them.

There is some really weird logic going on in creating the autogen.