Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Anyone Else Waiting For FS 2020 To Mature?

I find it pretty mature already taking into account it was just born 2 months ago, it may not walk yet but can even fly already which is a nice leap. seriously, I like what I got and still get. yes, there are issues here and there but I also have those with my teen kids and believe me that with every update there pops another bug up with those kiddies - since years. so with msfs I am happy, did some island hopping in Japan today, did my first heavy yesterday with the 787 from TNCM to KBOS, following the AP perfectly and doing a wonderful autoland. just perfect. for me the perfect maturity is reached once PMDG releases its 737...

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Am I waiting for it to mature? Yes.

Am I flying it everyday? Yes.

Am I enjoying flying it? Yes.

Are there bugs that need to be worked out? Yes.

Do I have any of my other sims installed ? No.

That being said, I fly primarily the A320NX (by FlyByWire), and recently rejoined a virtual airline I had been away from for more than 6 years. My flights are being logged and recorded without any issues.

My verdict? I am once again enjoying simming, and believe/hope that it will only get better.

Stay safe!

• Like 2

Albert

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;
2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

NO- NOT ONE BIT.

I however, expect and will demand that it does.

That said, I believe MS has plans other than mine alone. They know for it to be a financial success they must cater to the LARGEST CUSTOMER BASE... Purists are less than 5% of that... so it will take time.

MEANWHILE, I’m enjoying the sim as it matures. You might try something new- who knows- you actually may like it!

I’ve fallen in love with GA low and slow, usually tagging along with @Steve Dra. Before MSFS, 90% of my flying was in airliners above F300. Never imagined I’d be a puddle jumper again!

C

Edited by cavaricooper
  • Like 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

MSFS is great for VFR sightseeing and the weather depiction out of the box is miles ahead of everything else out there. Does that make it accurate - meaning is it close enough to real-world METARs and TAFs? Not consistently, and the thunder and lightning bug isn't helpful. The C152X mod is great for pottering around in a reasonably realistic-feeling GA single.

But the SDK is poorly documented and modders seem very unsure about the flight dynamics implemented so far. I like realism: I don't like that nobody seems confident enough to say "yes, this handles as close to the real thing as I could get it to behave".

The other thing MSFS desperately needs is documentation for its planes. There is none! Not even on working the GPSes, no speed reference cards, nothing. Talk about ways to make the game inaccessible to new users.

• Like 1

i7-10700K; RTX 2070 Super; 16GB; P3Dv4.5HF3 & MSFS2020.

15 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

NO- NOT ONE BIT.

I however, expect and will demand that it does.

That said, I believe MS has plans other than mine alone. They know for it to be a financial success they must cater to the LARGEST CUSTOMER BASE... Purists are less than 5% of that... so it will take time.

MEANWHILE, I’m enjoying the sim as it matures. You might try something new- who knows- you actually may like it!

I’ve fallen in love with GA low and slow, usually tagging along with @Steve Dra. Before MSFS, 90% of my flying was in airliners above F300. Never imagined I’d be a puddle jumper again!

C

Tagging along or leading....like yesterday's lovely jaunt to the excellent Monument Valley freeware in some freeware mod'd Cubs....

Zettqn.jpg

Work issues kept me from a flight this morning, but I suspect I'll be sipping coffee and talking aviation with @cavaricooper in many more early morning meetings at some small, nondescript airport...convincingly represented in MSFS.....out of the box, to the likes that would never be seen in previous versions (so tiny that even Orbx would not even find it commercially viable)....but a quaint little airport many pilots in the real world would have fond memories flying out of (with stories to tell I bet).

That to me is the magic of MSFS, even at this stage of immaturity, I still find a way to enjoy it. 🙂 

Edited by Steve Dra
missing word
  • Like 6

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

MSFS started as a "low and slow" GA simulator.  The first airliner didn't officially make an appearance until Flight Simulator 5.

But limitations in hardware, and computing power made true VFR flight a pipe dream.  So as a compromise, we bought localized scenery and limited our VFR to those specific areas. Everywhere else we flew high and fast to compensate for shortcomings of land class, generic textures and unrealistic hand drawn roads.

We bought detailed planes with detailed instrumentation because our computers were better at simulating static cockpits and instrumentation than rendering a realistic world outside.   We bought weather and sky enhancement products to help insulate us from the sub-par ground below.

Now we have the power to actually simulate realistic VFR flight globally, and many of us who escaped to the airliners now dismiss GA as being "not real" and the out of window view as being merely "eye candy".

Go Figure.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Before MSFS, 90% of my flying was in airliners above F300. Never imagined I’d be a puddle jumper again!

And to add to this statement as a reference...I too was airline flyer 90%+ of the time...well...when I wasn't painting them (clicking the link in my sig would give you an indication what aircraft my flightsim time was generally spent in. 😉 )

So leisurely GA flying is almost foreign to me...but a new found enjoyment that is every bit as captivating as flying this behemoth out of Singapore on a long journey to KLAX. 🙂

RsNnPn.jpg

Edited by Steve Dra
corrected word

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

23 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Tagging along or leading....like yesterday's lovely jaunt to the excellent Monument Valley freeware in some freeware mod'd Cubs....

Zettqn.jpg

Work issues kept me from a flight this morning, but I suspect I'll be sipping coffee and talking aviation with @cavaricooper in many more early morning meetings at some small, nondescript airport...convincingly represented in MSFS.....out of the box, to the likes that would never be seen in previous versions (so tiny that even Orbx would not even find it commercially viable)....but a quaint little airport many pilots in the real world would have fond memories flying out of (with stories to tell I bet).

That to me is the magic of MSFS, even at this stage of immaturity, I still find a way to enjoy it. 🙂 

Now, what time would that be, and wich timezone, cause i sure want to join the party 😄

31 minutes ago, lambourne said:

The other thing MSFS desperately needs is documentation for its planes. 

Agreed. When the release version appeared, I was shocked to find NO manuals included. In my mind, a simulator as complex as this one has to come with a manual not only for the planes but also for the avionics (to make sure what is working and what is not) and the UI (even if the latter is intuitive). Even more, as newcomers are expected to be a large user segment.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

8 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

TLDR summary.

WAIT: If you only fly study level tubeliners as part of a virtual airline and detest VFR then definitely wait as MSFS is no where near at the point you need and will not be for at least a year.

I can get on board with that logic.  If a user only flies airliners from PMDG and FSLabs...then yes, maybe the sim isn't for you. 

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well it's certainly been demoted down my list of "must play" games for the time being. Nor am I likely to spend any more money on it until the title matures and stabilises, also to avoid putting cash down the drain if MS send it the way of Flight... :unsure:

Edited by Elvensmith

Yes!

Other than an odd flight here and there to scenery spot in the Ion I’m waiting for additional patches to complete the functionality of the G1000, improvements to real time weather, additional AI AC and Study level DLC heavies...

In the meantime I’ve gone back to my NGX in P3D!

Chris Camp

If MS/Asabo didn't update the sim ever again other than add VR support, I would feel I got my $130 worth.  Then I could happily live with VFR/GA flying in MSFS, flying heavies in XP11 and the fast jets in DCS - all in amazing VR.  As it stands now, I really only fire up MSFS to keep up to date on mods and patches.  I just can never be happy "flying" while looking at a flat 2D screen when the experience of VR is so amazing.  I am in the process of learning the fantastic Zibo mod 737 in XP11 now, so I can be patient waiting for MSFS VR support.

8 minutes ago, Elvensmith said:

"... Nor am I likely to spend any more money on it until the title matures and stabilises..."

My thoughts exactly. I am more than happy & looking forward to spending money on addons... lots of them, but not until this title is in, at least, a little better technical shape. Is it still fun to fly MFS? Sure, you bet... to a point ;;).

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Well, judging by the length of the responses to this post I’d predict more people are playing casually or waiting for it to mature, before seriously getting into it, than playing non-stop!  

Otherwise they’re be too busy enjoying playing it to have time to post lengthy responses here!

Chris Camp