Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Anyone Else Waiting For FS 2020 To Mature?

MSFS, despite its issues is nothing short of phenomenal.  It's a whole different world than what I did since the dawn of flight sims, in so many ways.  There is far more depth in having an atmospheric and scenery environment that very closely matches what you're going to see nearly anywhere on the planet if flying in the real world.   This is more than 'pretty scenery' or 'eye candy'.  It adds serious meaning to the experience for me.  The 'modern' flight model simulates flight thru air much more plausibly than 'flying on rails' as is largely the case most of the time in P3D.  Right now, despite spending hours n hours in the PMDG NGXu/777 and Majestic Q400 since P3D debuted I find myself going back now to all of that mega-install of P3D, lots of Orbx base and regional sceneries and airports, REX textures, ASN4 weather, GSX, primarily as a means of keeping MSFS as fresh as possible, so I don't get used to MSFS too quickly, and to keep my skills up in the PMDG and Majestic planes. It's great for what it is, but quite frankly if the install was corrupted tomorrow I'd just continue w/ MSFS it's that good already.  I only use one plane in MSFS and look forward to old favs coming on board when they do.  I am continually amazed at the performance and depth even in the default TBM930 w/ its G3000 glass avionics which integrate w/ ATC.   I also find myself hand-flying a little more than previously where it was largely controlling by the FMS/AP.  But most of the time it's IFR and RNAV GPS approaches w/ or w/o the AP engaged.  And already, far and away, I've had so many more actual flight experiences in weather that were not matched in P3D.  Everything from the scenery, atmosphere and lighting is just magnitudes greater in depth and realism, and that adds a whole lot.  Even this little pedestrian rural airport 40m from home here was something to behold--I mean you could tell you were in this specific area:

KBJC-KGXY-2-no-resize-sharpen-x6.png

All the way to this incredibly lovely flyover the German town of Fussen w/ the Alps in the background.

Fussen-2.png

And approaching Yellowstone NP OTW from Cody WY:

Cody-to-Jackson.png

The idea of holding off for some future point I find weird.  It's just far too compelling already.  It's so cheap to play, it's nothing short of phenomenal, and that is from someone who logs maybe 24h/week for years flying in P3D and FSX before it and so on.  While I love the mature state of P3D after this exposure I can really feel its shortcomings for a total experience.  I will keep it until we see PMDG/Majestic quality planes arrive.  From all I hear they're in it for the long haul and their initial release, even w/ its early woes, is a masterpiece already.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't see the point of waiting, because the experience is so good today. But i can also see people wanting to wait, if the current version does not have what they need to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

13 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

I have decided to wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created before I pull the trigger for MSFS 2020. I am currently on FSX-SE after a 15 year hiatus because it was the quickest and most convenient way to return to flight simming and a I already have a large array of addons. Otherwise X-Plane 11 or likely Prepar3d if I get bored as much of my investment works in Prepar3d. Anyone else doing wait and see with 2020?

I mean, sure, I'm waiting for it to mature as well....  except that while waiting, I'm also using it!  I just can't go back to any of those sims you listed...  

• Like 10

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, airlinejets said:

...a $60 investment?

Less if he tries 30 days game pass.

For just.33 a day (I sound like a feed the children announcer).  He could rent it for 30 days.  

But that’s not near as much fun as pulling out an “I’m outta here grenade” and tossing it over your shoulder now is it.

• Like 1

TLDR summary.

WAIT: If you only fly study level tubeliners as part of a virtual airline and detest VFR then definitely wait as MSFS is no where near at the point you need and will not be for at least a year.

NOT WAIT:  Otherwise, with wart's and all ,it is still outrageous fun and most of the bugs are not game killers. VFR and bush bashing is a total rage and the sim is great for anything that involves flying with your head out the window instead of glued to the instruments,

• Like 2

What it comes down to is: there are, just like in every other area of life, folks who see a glass half full and others who see a glass half empty. Guess which group is more fun to be around?

Noel,

Can't you, and everybody else, see that these screenies are nowhere near the quality of all the other default sim platforms. Time to wake up and smell the coffee guys, in another two or three years we may just catch up with default FSX, P3D and XPlane.

However, that is not really the point of these posts.  Whatever the actual point is and what it achieves is way beyond myself and all other scientists for that matter.

Time to actually close this thread I think and start another similar thread so that the same for and against arguments can be thrashed through again, sadly by the same protagonists (generally). and me included.

Can I start a thread debating whether or not this topic is going to EVER achieve anything remotely constructive for anyone?

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I don't have the time for complex airliners at the moment. So MSFS is perfect.

The feeling of actually flying is unmatched. As the environment (scenery + weather) is a crucial part of flying, I'm also not planning on going back. Too much fun.

It's not that important to me that default planes don't fly by the numbers, as long as it feels authentic. You can get a basic feeling of flying in a sim, but you don't learn how to master a certain type on a sim.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

17 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

I have decided to wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created before I pull the trigger for MSFS 2020. I am currently on FSX-SE after a 15 year hiatus because it was the quickest and most convenient way to return to flight simming and a I already have a large array of addons. Otherwise X-Plane 11 or likely Prepar3d if I get bored as much of my investment works in Prepar3d. Anyone else doing wait and see with 2020?

No, why? MSFS (it isn't FS2020) is a very good platform for VFR or IFR simulation with smaller aircrafts. So I wait for ailriners too, but I'm very enjoying fly with TBM930 the whole world. There isn't any reason, why everyone can't use the MSFS.

Been bouncing back and forth between X-Plane and MSFS.  X-Plane when I need my IFR fix or fly airliners for OnAir or play around with Air Hauler 2, and MSFS for when I just want to fly VFR with NeoFly or do bush flying.  So I guess you could say I'm enjoying it AND waiting for it to mature.

It really is a wonderful time to be a flight simmer.

Edited by iowahawkeyedave

I don't fully understand the "I'll wait 6 months then buy it" approach unless somebody is genuinely short of money and is holding of... what's the difference of buying it now and trying it out every now and then until it reaches this supposed magic point (which could never happen). If you enjoy other games, a good option is to get a gamepass subscription as there are some good titles on there to play as well as MFS.

The way some are wording it sounds like selling some stocks and using them to purchase more risky ones. Why can't you just have both?  If you do install it, your older sim won't stop working, but of course you may look at them differently, and that certainly could be a problem. Treat is as you would going out for a few beers (I miss those times 😔), it'll provide enough entertainment to be worth the cost, and that's the point of games isn't it?

• Like 9

Hello all,

A  while ago, Gary said "I have decided to wait until the most complained of bugs are worked out, the full SDK is released, and a decent array of commercial and freeware addon content is created before I pull the trigger for MSFS 2020." 

Whilst some may agree with this stance, I wonder how far all the previous sim platforms would have gone, if everybody adopted this attitude.  

I do appreciate that some people have no inclination to suffer through teething problems of any kind, and it takes a brave sole or soles to outlay the significant amount of money (AUD$1-179) so that these platforms can progress. 

If you think about it though, if no-one bought these default and new sims there really would be NO 3PDs because nobody is buying the basic game.  This is not a great way to achieve a great simming experience in my opinion.

My personal experience began seriously with FS2004 which was not fantastic, as a default platform, despite a huge step up from previous versions of Flight sims, however, I, and a lot of others persevered until it became quite something out of the box.  Next came FSX and I was a first day buyer, only to discover that my hardware would not handle it. I kept it for years and years without a single successful flight.  I continued however, to revisit in the hope that there would be a performance fix. The same applied to FSX-SE, which I purchased in the vain hope that it was a better performer. It was not. By the time I was able to afford an upgrade of hardware, FSX had evolved. P3D and XPlane had come along and I eventually was able to fly them both. At that stage, it was pointless, going back to FSX because P3D and Xplane were much better platforms. I was fortunate in that I had not invested any money in addon for those sims and was able to progress smoothly to the newbies having invested only in the base FSX and FSX-SE.  Quite honestly, I have no regrets that I was never able to complete a flight, but I did keep revisiting with the hope that it was going to work out. 

Undoubtedly, there are people in the same frame with MSFS and others, trying to cope with its bugs and problems, have adopted a disgruntled attitude. Frustration is understandable, spitting the dummy and taking your balls home, IMO, is very short-sighted and unnecessary. Constant complaining about the same things in many threads however, is NOT understandable to me.  Once should be enough. Stating the same complaints over and over again just creates more disgruntlement(?) and I believe, those who are not having the same problems, those who are able to try to offer help to the community, simply cringe and any chance of help in the community just dries up.  So, in my opinion all these complaints eventually become a liability.

We, the community, know that there are problems out there. We, the community, know that Asobo and MS know about and are working on these problems. We, the community, realize that MS and Asobo are going to achieve so much more than the CONSTANT complainers. A report to Zendesk is all that you need.  

I would really like all this nonsense to come to an end, and if I have "waffled somewhat" I apologise..

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

8 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I don't fully understand the "I'll wait 6 months then buy it" approach unless somebody is genuinely short of money and is holding of... what's the difference of buying it now and trying it out every now and then until it reaches this supposed magic point (which could never happen). If you enjoy other games, a good option is to get a gamepass subscription as there are some good titles on there to play as well as MFS.

The way some are wording it sounds like selling some stocks and using them to purchase more risky ones. Why can't you just have both?  If you do install it, your older sim won't stop working, but of course you may look at them differently, and that certainly could be a problem. Treat is as you would going out for a few beers (I miss those times 😔), it'll provide enough entertainment to be worth the cost, and that's the point of games isn't it?

yep  agree  i  got  both p3dv4  and  msfs installed,  i use  msfs  soley  for  ga  flights  and  p3dv4  for  fsl  and  pmdg  aircrafts best of  both  worlds 🙂

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have seen the screenies and vids. I will go to it in time. Right now FSX looks okay enough. I can easily VFR over PA with the terrain and texture mods I have. I know my area and I recognize every ridge, mountain, valley, and town here. I'm sure 2020 is better but I will wait until I have time to add ram and be sure my CH controls will work.